Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Tor Brwsr got msg that access to eml accnts was blocked as scurit. measure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stanpatpick

stanpatpick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:20 AM

System Windows 10  Ver 1511 10586.218
Tor Browser Bundle 5.5.4

After using the tor browser in combination with web proxy sites, I was informed by both Google and Microsoft that an attempt was made to access my email account. The attempt was denied because the user's location was not a normal one for me to access from.

Account passwords have been changed.

Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 was running and noted that a few web based intrusions were detected/blocked and a site or two were prevented from loading.

A full scan with bitdefender, malwarebytes, and superantispyware have returned no problems.

Rootkit Scans with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit, Macafee Rootkit Remover, Norton Power Eraser, and UnHackme have returned no problems also.

What other steps should I take to ensure there won't be any further problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

Do you have a Gmail/Google account?  Do you have a Microsoft account?  Did you try to or sign in to your email accounts while using Tor and/or a proxy?  If you did, then it's normal to get a warning from Google or Microsoft.  Whenever you use Tor or a proxy, your location changes to the last IP address at the end of the tunnel.  That IP address is most likely from a different location than your current one.  That is part of the anonymization process.

Google and Microsoft tries to protect you.  Therefore, when they detect that someone is trying to access your account from an unusual location, they warn you because it might be an actual attempt by someone to hack into your account.

Now a word about proxies and Tor.  Proxies (and VPNs) have perfectly legitimate uses, especially when one wants to access their own data privately from different locations.  Tor, on the other hand, is normally used to carry out some activity or the other anonymously.  Therefore, the question arises - why would a normal user want to hide his activities?  Is he doing something illegitimate?  Mind you, there are good reasons to use Tor too, but it's just that those needs never arise for most users.

#3 stanpatpick

stanpatpick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:19 AM

Google yes. Microsoft yes.

If the tor browser + proxy are only used to make temporary connection to a few websites and don't do anything other than connect to the websites that the browser is directed to, I wouldn't expect to receive those messages.

If ,once the tor browser is loaded, all connections are then through tor for all programs making connection requests, I see how those messages would be triggered by programs that are constantly running in the background to "check in"  and receive an update of some kind.

I don't think I logged in to those accounts from the tor browser, but firefox was open on gmail, google drive was running, onecloud was running, etc, etc.....

Generally speaking, I have become concerned about the information that is exchanged, that I am unaware of, even with normal web activities. The attitude seems to be that of what you don't know won't hurt you but my company might be able to monetize all this traffic data somehow.

I would much rather the inconvenience of knowing every what to and how I am connected with the ability to block what i please.

So is there anything I would want to check or at least be aware of?

Thanks for the response.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

Sorry, I cant' be of any help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users