Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After crash missing dll's and computer in rough shape

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 M Moore

M Moore

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:45 AM

Hoping someone can help recover my main home computer.

Computer crashed to a multicolour static like screen while sitting idle. Had to force power it off. When powered it back up there were a number of pop messages about applications failing to start. I restarted and then computer autoran a chkdsk - appeared to find lots of problems.
Now computer has many programs that won't run - at startup approx a dozen startup messages about unable to run programs, etc - most common error centres around missing iertutil.dll as well as urlmon.dll (are others as well).Fortunately I can still access the internet.

I ran a sfc /scannow and it appeared to fix some problems but there were others it was unable to correct (although I'm not good at reading log file so difficult to figure out what errors were).

I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Any help is much appreciated.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M Moore

M Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:10 AM

Additional information requested to be included in the post:

1) Tried to run Sysnative BSOD dump + system file collection App but Chrome blocks the download and I can't get IE to run.
2) Tried to run the Perfmon health report but it just provides a blank window with no content (waited 5+ minutes)
3) Additional info:
Windows 7 home premium - this is the original operating system on this computer
It came preinstalled on this Dell computer
Hardware is approximately 3 years old

Video card AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Name XPS8500
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model XPS 8500
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A09, 05/09/2012
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:49 PM

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

The first 3 (malware, memory, hard drive) are bootable - so they don't need Windows to run

See if you can do this for reports:

Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it. 

Also, search your entire hard drive for files ending in .dmp, .mdmp, and .hdmp.  Zip up any that you find and upload them with your next post.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

If you're having difficulties with the format, please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the TEST.NFO file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

systeminfo:
Please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "systeminfo.exe >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the syteminfo.txt file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .txt file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 M Moore

M Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:10 AM

I made some progress on requested info but have not had complete success as while I do have internet access on the computer I am having trouble with, I appear to be unable to download anything (indicates it is blocked) - this includes things like PDFs.

What I was able to accomplish is as follows.

1) Completed Memory testing successfully - ran for several hours starting with memory warm + cold text in morning - all good

2) Hard disk tests - configuration is 1 TB Seagate drive as main drive with windows and most programs installed on it, 1 32GB Samsung SSD which acts as cache to main drive, and 1 256GB Samsung SSD which has photos and a few steam games on it (most steam games are on main seagate drive).

I was able to test the Seagate drive using SeaTools and drive passed test.

I was unable to test either Samsung drive as "Samsung Magic" software is an .exe file (not bootable) and it wouldn't run due to missing iertutil.dll problem

3) I was unable to try alternate malware programs due to combination of being unable to download anything and missing iertutil.dll. Prior to problems computer was protected by up to date subscription of Mcafee. I had malwarebytes previously installed on computer (run it periodically) but am unable to run due to iertutil.dll missing

There were no windows dumps but I do have zipped file containing all dumps from computer + plus system info requested at following location:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ktzxzi7b14kwbbl/AAAf6TdpJEunyfjNGQkt0a4da?dl=0

Thanks for help.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:20 AM

OK, the first thing is that you have no Windows Update hotfixes installed.

This is likely a large part of your problem.

Most W7SP1 systems have 300 to 400 Windows Update hotfixes installed.

Interestingly, the MSINFO32 report doesn't show the 32 gB SSD in the Drives section.

You might want to check in diskmgmt.msc to see if it's there.

Many, many AppleChromeDAV.exe errors.

This is a program that's associated with iCloud.

Please uninstall that from your system to see if that helps

Many, many TrueCrypt errors.

TrueCrypt is unsecure as developement has stopped and there are no fixes for it's vulnerabilities

Please uninstall it.  If you must have encryption, here's their suggestion:  http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

The memory dumps seem to be all from user level crashes.

These aren't BSOD's and shouldn't be capable of crashing the system as you've described.

I will post the analysis results in another post, as it's going to take a while to run all 140+ of them.......

The chkdsk and SFC errors concern me, but without having the Windows Updates installed we can't draw any legitimate conclusions from it.

Let's see if you can get this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Beyond that, I suspect that this is a hardware problem.

If you're unable to figure out which component, then a "clean" install of W7 should help to determine if it is hardware.

A "clean" install is one that wipes the hard drive clean, then installs only Windows components from a known good installation source.

Use Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus protection while testing - and the only 3rd party drivers that should be installed are those that show problems in Device Manager.

More info on a "clean" install here:  http://www.carrona.org/canned.html#clean

Edited by usasma, 17 April 2016 - 05:22 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:34 AM

Well, I finished all 140 dumps and there's no common point to them that I can see.

When doing BSOD analysis, this usually points to Windows or hardware issues (Windows because of the lack of updates, and hardware because of the randomness of the errors).

I've recently revised my suggestions for "clean" installs:

This is a short summary, it doesn't reflect what you've done already:

In short, there's only 2 possible problems with your system:  hardware or software.

We break the software down into Windows and non-Windows software (as non-Windows software causes more problems, and Windows software is easiest to fix)

To test both of the software types, a "clean" install is called for.  When doing it you:
- a complete wipe of the hard drive (to ensure that any malware/corruption is wiped off)
- remove any add-on hardware that didn't come with the system (or hardware that isn't essential for running the system).  This'll rule out incompatibilities with that hardware.
- use known good installation media (or try a different one on the second try)
- install ONLY Windows software (one exception is stated below)
- get ALL Windows Updates
- get drivers for any problem devices in Device Manager (this is the exception, use 3rd party drivers if necessary)
- use Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender for antivirus protection while testing

Suggestions for a clean install here:  http://www.carrona.org/canned.html#clean

If you do this and you still have problems - then it's most likely hardware.

And, the hardware diagnostics are these:
- http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
- http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

#7 M Moore

M Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for looking at this and while the result is bad news for me I do appreciate the time you gave spent

Is there anyway for me to solve the missing ierutil.dll problem - not as a long term solution, but this "exception" appears to cause many/most of my programs to be unable to run... if I could get them to run then my transition to essentially a new computer would be much smoother (e.g. I have photo's backed up, but if I could get photoshop elements to run I could export my library and would have photo's and the associated tags identifying the photo's - similarly I could maintain playcounts from itunes, etc...)

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:05 PM

My usual suggestions are:

- System Restore to a point before the problems started

- W8/8.1/10 - DISM/SFC (see quote box below)

- W8/8.1 - REFRESH/W10 - RESET with the Keep My Files option

- Backup your stuff

- W8/8.1 - RESET/W10 - RESET with the Remove Everything option

- then the "clean" install option that i mentioned above.

I'm a BSOD analyst, I look into other problems as they arise - but I'm not that good with fixing DLL problems.

SFC and DISM are supposed to fix them - and that's all that I know

DISM/SFC stuff:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users