Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mel Gibson

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:53 PM

This Mel Gibson thing is getting out of hand, it seems the media doesnt have much else to do but slam Mel Gibsons career into the wall. So what if he got drunk and said some bleep. I say stupid bleep when I get drunk, alot of people do.

So what if he directed The Passion. what about Farenheit 911, that made people mad, I never heard no public outcry. Leave him alone, he got drunk, he apologized. That's enough. no one cares anymore. geez

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

He's a celebrity, so any little thing he does is going to be overexposed like crazy. Look at the hugh grant hooker fiasco, or the jessica simpsons/nick lachey (sp?) divorce. The media thinks people want to see junk like that, so to increase ratings, they broadcast what they think people would respond to.

It's an even BIGGER story when people hold gibson in such high respect for his christian snuff film, then he sets an awesome example by getting hammered, DRIVING around, then saying a lot of anti-semetic comments. I just think that's funny....

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:44 PM

I obviously don't read enough tabloids because I have no idea what you are talking about.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

It's not just tabloids. I've seen the story on MsNBC, FoxNews, AND CNN.... Mel gibson was caught driving completely drunk, then, when arrested, he uttered many anti-semetic comments. I've also heard varying degrees of sexual harrasment before the DUI, but i have no idea if those are real or not.

#5 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:34 PM

It's still ridiculous how they broadcast that crap. how many other stars get drunk all the time? Say stupid bleep? It's okay to broadcast it for say.... a week. cuz by being a star he DID WILLINGLY open himself up for ridicule and what not. but stilll every day I wake up. turn on the TV and it's Mel Gibson was drunk, and I'm like.. "No bleep" lol

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

Pandering to the curious and the common contributes far more to the cash-flow of the broadcast companies than taking thirty minutes to intelligently discuss global warming.
As I remember, the ancient Romans appreciated their favourite gladiators far more than their Virgil.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:52 PM

Pandering to the curious and the common contributes far more to the cash-flow of the broadcast companies than taking thirty minutes to intelligently discuss global warming.
As I remember, the ancient Romans appreciated their favourite gladiators far more than their Virgil.
Regards,
John

So true, John...so true.... :thumbsup: I get tired of this celebrity BS.

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:59 AM

It's not just tabloids. I've seen the story on MsNBC, FoxNews, AND CNN....

I don't really follow those either. I kind of lump 'em in the same category as tabloids. I see now that it is obviously impacting my ability to keep up to date on the important things in society.

There isn't all that much you can hold an intelligent discussion about global warming. It is mostly pseudo-science and sensationalism.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:19 PM

I do agree the media will latch on and try to burn someone quite intensely. He was drunk and he screwed up by driving and talking. He apologized and now let the courts do their thing. It all brings to mind a song,so I'll sumbit the lyrics. They seem to be appropriate.

Dirty Laundry .... by Don Henly

I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I dont have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
Its interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a
Running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You dont really need to find out whats going on
You dont really want to know just how far its gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre stiff
Kick em all around

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybodys pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo
We can dance and sing
When its said and done we havent told you a thing
We all know that crap is king
Give us dirty laundry!

Edited by boopme, 05 August 2006 - 06:19 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:31 PM

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
Its interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

I believe she'll be on the evening news this fall at CBS :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:58 AM

It's not just tabloids. I've seen the story on MsNBC, FoxNews, AND CNN....

I don't really follow those either. I kind of lump 'em in the same category as tabloids. I see now that it is obviously impacting my ability to keep up to date on the important things in society.

There isn't all that much you can hold an intelligent discussion about global warming. It is mostly pseudo-science and sensationalism.

Man do I have the perfect girl for you, she believes that 911 was a political conspiracy to get us involved in Iraq, that we didn't land on the moon, that the holocaust didn't happen, and of course your favorite... there is no global warming. I should also add that she is slightly paranoid, and thinks that Elena Bobbit was justified in her actions. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:30 AM

Regards,
John

There are a couple of old journalistic axioms that sum it up, there's "If it bleeds it leads", and also "Man bites dog is is news. Man eats dog is better news".

People in general like the gory details, we will slow down on the freeway to ogle a accident, watch motor sports, rodeos, and any contact sport in hope of seeing some blood. The world may have changed over the last couple of millenium, but people haven't.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:31 PM

I agree the Media should quit displaying the Mel Gibson thing we get it he got drunk and said somethings he regretts. He appologized so let him be. They act like others dont do the same freaking thing everyday. Why dont people learn that The Passion was not a christian movie it was Catholic. He isnt christian either.

Also I do not believe the Media all that much about alot of things because the exagerate alot and tell lies. Report the truth like you are paid to do and get on with another story. People need to quit giving so much attention to celebreties. They get paid more to entertain us then the soldiers on the front lines do. Dont you think the ones out there risking their lifes deserve more attention and money then people that entertain us?
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:19 PM

Man do I have the perfect girl for you, she believes that 911 was a political conspiracy to get us involved in Iraq, that we didn't land on the moon, that the holocaust didn't happen, and of course your favorite... there is no global warming. I should also add that she is slightly paranoid, and thinks that Elena Bobbit was justified in her actions. :thumbsup:

Nah, I am a big disbeliever in the "latest scare", amongst them global warming. I was thought up a couple of decades ago when climatology was still an infant science. It falls in the same group as nuclear winter and radiation creating giant ants. We know better now. The media plays on it because it is sensational, like the Mel Gibson thing. Doesn't mean there is any actual scientific evidence for it. And the environmentalists can't let go of their new religion.

#15 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:40 AM

Drunken ignorant ramblings....let it die please. I so hate celebrity gossip.
What Mel had supposedly stated was just awful. But if an ordinary guy had
spouted off the exact same. No attention would have beeen given at all.
I say this with all due respect to those of the Jewish faith.

The same day:

Two anti-Semitic incidents occurred on July 28. Both took place on the West Coast; both involved an American venting his hostility to Jews. But only one of them became in the days that followed a big national story about anti-Semitism. The other was treated as a serious but local matter, and drew only modest coverage around the country.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/jeff/jacoby080706.php3

Whether or not "The Passion" is a "Catholic Movie" has nothing to do with this subject.
BTW Catholics are Christians. Who should know that more than someone raised in the faith.
The Roman Catholic Church, is the largest Christian church in the world.
And I believe quite possibly the oldest.
It claims direct historical descent from the church founded by the apostle Peter.
The only reason I have gone strayed a bit off topic, is that it bothers me
that some may think that Catholics aren't Christians. And we are.

Edited by Scarlett, 08 August 2006 - 10:46 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users