Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amd Dual Core Only Showing 1 Core?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Drykill

Drykill

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

Hi, I got a 4200x2 dual core CPU of ebay real cheap because it had a few bent pins and 2 broken ones. I fixed all the bent ones and ended up with 4 pins missing. I fitted it and turned it on with the 4 pins missing and it seemed to be working fine, no issues what so ever. But upon opening task manager I could see that it monitors both cores but if I restart the PC and open task manager it only shows one core? I did a test by running a game and a virus scan at the same time to see if the game lagged when it showed 2 cores and it didn't. I tried the same thing when it showed 1 core and it was extremely laggy indicating that one of the core is not functioning at all.
The 4 pins that are missing are around the edge of the 'gold triangle' in the corner of the CPU. I have tried replacing the pins by placing a piece of copper wire in the slot where the missing pins are but I think that might be the cause of my PC crashing so I have taken them out. With them in however it still did the same thing, you turn the pc one and it has 2 cores, install software or something and restart it, it comes back with one core. If the PC is turned off by the plug then back on, it will have 2 cores again. That is what's confusing me.
I have all the correct software installed so is it just a case of a vital pin missing?
I will probably get the correct type of solder and solder the wires on(I heard lead based solder shouldn't be used?), that way I know there will be a definite connection being made.
Think this is the best think to do or are there any other solutions?

Edited by Drykill, 04 August 2006 - 05:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:02 AM

You stuck a piece of copper wire in CPU to try and replace the pin, you're crazy my friend! That could easily cause surge in the CPU. Try this program and see if it shows two cores. If it didn't lag, your computer could be pretty decent and capable of doing both. My signle core Athlon 64 +3500 handles multi tasks pretty well. Tell me if CPUZ detects 2 cores?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 Drykill

Drykill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:04 AM

Yes CPUZ does detect 2 cores.

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:50 AM

Well did it show any anomalies when you looked a both cores?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 Drykill

Drykill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:28 PM

Both cores looked fine but when I restarted the PC it only detected one core. Can't tell you much more atm as I punched the PC in a fit of rage and I think I've corrupted the hard drive. If so that will be the second 250GB HDD I've broke from doing that :thumbsup:
I'm trying to install vista and see if that works because XP doesn't seem to want to work propperly :flowers:

#6 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:42 AM

Well there's not much I can really do. Next time try and order from a better source so you get a proper CPU. Newegg or Tigerdirect have some good prices and AMD processors are going cheap.

Putting together computer parts and anger never go along well. It takes patience.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

You have a hardware problem and trying to install Vista will only compound your problem.

They don't put extra pins on processors. If you broke some off your processor is now defective.

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:49 AM

Socket 939 processors come with a bunch of pins which don't do anything. If the CPU is working without four pins then they probably are such and trying to fix it wont help in any way. I wager that the problems you are experiencing are from one of the bent pins. There are probably some microscopic fractures in one of them which is causing it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 Drykill

Drykill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:06 AM

Well it did work fine even with 4 pins missing - ran games fine could multi-task etc-, the only problem that occured when using it was when it was restarted it only showed 1 core.
Found out what was causing most of my problems, the HDD was corupted and was causing alot of the software to play up. Scince its still under warrently it's getting replaced so I should have a new one soon. I'm currently running vista one a spare 30gb hdd and have had no issues with my hard ware or software. I'm not using the dual core but a spare 3500+ I've got. Should I try the dual core on this setup and see if any problems occur with the the system, that way I can tell it's the CPU and not the HDD or should I try get it repaired first (but I need 4 new pins form somewhere?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users