Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kaylora

Kaylora

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:59 PM

Hey guys.

------

Windows 10 Pro x64

Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H

AMD Phenom II X4 3.2 GHz

16 GB DDR2

EVGA Gtx 750Ti

------

About one month ago, I went to bed with a functioning computer and woke up to a black screen that wouldn't turn on. Ever since then, I get a black screen immediately after the desktop loads each time I boot up. Windows is still running in the background, as I can hear the startup jingle a couple seconds later, but all video cuts out.

The problem does not happen if:

-----I boot in safe mode

-----I boot up with the video card physically removed

-----I boot up with the video card physically installed but with all traces of the drivers removed via DDU. (A regular uninstallation through the app manager or through nVidia's uninstaller is not sufficient and the problem continues) Any attempts to reinstall the driver at this stage cause the video to cut to black approximately one minute into installation.

I've done extensive troubleshooting with both nVidia and EVGA. I've gone back to three different system restore points, installed four different legacy versions of the drivers, and I've "reset" windows (aka done a reinstallation via the system settings). A video card stability test lead to a complete crash about five minutes in. EVGA eventually gave me an RMA and I recently received my new card in the mail. The problem remains with the new card.

I have also tried swapping out my power supply for a brand new unit and the problem remains. Both PSUs are 750W, which is comfortably above what this system should require.

I'm fresh out of ideas at this point, and I have no idea what else to try. Suggestions very welcome. Let me know if there's any other useful info I can provide.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:24 PM

Does the video card still crash after 5 minutes of the stability test?

If so, then you've got to suspect the motherboard (this presumes that the replacement card is good).

BUT, don't jump right out and buy one just yet.
First try these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Then try this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Also, let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Kaylora

Kaylora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

Thanks!

Yes, the card still crashes about 5 minutes into the stability test. (And I was also suspecting the motherboard and just hoping it was something else)

The memory diagnostic passed with no errors.

I wasn't able to run the HDD diagnostic because (apparently) the disc drive isn't functioning and there's no bootable usb variant of that test.

I couldn't run the FurMark video stress testing because it requires drivers to be installed.

I'm somewhat concerned about my processor - it seems to be running idle temps in the high 40s / low 50s and spiked into the high 70s when I ran Prime95. I'm only running stock cooling and two cheap case fans so I didn't expect ideal results, but that was worryingly high. I only ran this test for about ten minutes before I cut it off.

I didn't learn much of anything from the stripdown because the system happily loads up in every conceivable configuration unless the video card and drivers are both installed.

Both the requested reports are attached.

Thank you for your help!

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:07 AM

In most cases you won't see problems with CPU temps in the high 70's

IME the only real problem with that is that it'll decrease the lifespan of the CPU

In most cases this'll be a problem with the cooling solution:
- ensure that there's enough thermal compound between the CPU and the cooler (but not too much!)

- ensure that the cooler is free of dirt, dust, hairballs, etc

- ensure that the cooler fan is functioning and is blowing air into the cooler

- ensure that the air going into the cooler isn't heated by another device before it goes into the cooler

If you have further issues, it'd be better to get the hardware pro's involved by posting here:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

But, when running Prime95, you can safely let it get into the mid-90's before starting to panic.  Most CPU's are safe into the 100's - but I discourage stressing them that much (and have found, in isolated instances, problems at 95 or higher).

The point here is that you're looking for the temps to stabilize while running Prime95 - if they stabilize in the 70's or lower, then the cooling solution is generally OK as it is.  If it's higher, but less than the mid-90's, then it probably needs some attention - but it should be OK after that.

Which HDD test couldn't you run? 

This still seems to be video related, and as you've tried different video cards, it's most likely related to how the video is processed on the motherboard.

As such, the definitive test would be to try another motherboard.

ADMIN LogFile:

Lot's of CD-ROM controller errors - this is usually the same controller that runs the HDD

But it's not giving errors often enough to make it a suspect (only saw 2 instances, both on the evening of the 14th - sometimes this can be due to a bad CD/DVD)

BSOD Inspector:
Your UEFI/BIOS (version F8) dates from 2010.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
With older BIOS's, I have to wonder about compatibility with W8/8.1/10 - as it communicates more with the BIOS than previous OS's

Only 4 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

On 15 April you did have a video driver failure (STOP 0x141: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED )

I'd suggest following these troubleshooting suggestions:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532

Other than that, the system appears fairly "clean" of 3rd party stuff - so it's not likely that it's suspect (other than the things that I mentioned already).

As such, if you fix all the stuff that I suggested and you still have problems, then it's likely the motherboard.

It's your call if you wish to purchase one to test with - but be sure to get it from a place that will let you return it if it's not needed (and will give you your money back).

Remember that it's got to be compatible with your other hardware (memory/RAM, CPU, video card, etc) - so be careful when choosing.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Kaylora

Kaylora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:40 AM

I was primarily concerned about the processor temps because the instructions on Carrona recommended not letting them exceed 85C during testing - and mine spiked to that level very quickly. I doubt I ran it long enough to be sure whether it was stabilizing at those levels. I'll clean the processor fan out and take a closer look at the thermal paste if/when I find a mobo to test with.

The HDD test I was referring to is the one listed here - http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

I suspect the two instances of CD-ROM controller errors you saw in the logs directly correspond with my two failed attempts to eject the drive in order to run this diagnostic. My disc drive is definitely malfunctioning but I agree with you that it's not the core cause of anything (since I've run some tests with it completely unplugged from power and the mobo).

Regarding windows update, the system was previously fully up to date but has not been updated since windows was reinstalled in the course of my troubleshooting. I've had it disconnected from the network since that time, so it hasn't had an opportunity to re-update for some weeks now. I'll get it reconnected and get those missing updates as soon as I can. Same for the BIOS, I think the last time I checked for those updates was immediately after build, 5 or 6 years ago so I will get that as soon as I can. Installation shouldn't be risky so long as I physically remove the video card, as the system is always totally stable without it.

The timing of the video driver failure on April 15th corresponds with a time that I had been running the video card stability test to ensure that it was still crashing even after the windows re installation. I would suspect that was the cause. 

I'm going to work on finding a compatible mobo to test with and I will let you know of any updates.

Thanks again for your help!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:34 PM

Sorry, but I didn't realize that the temps were getting that high, and that they weren't leveling off.

If the temps are exceeding 85 quickly - then heat is the most likely problem here.

Fix the heat issues first - thats the most likely problem right now.

If you don't have issues with the video card installed, then be sure that both the CPU and the GPU coolers are working properly.

Maybe the heat from the CPU is pouring into the GPU?

There are multiple HDD tests at the page you linked to.  Was there a particular one?

I ask, because you can often run the Seagate Seatools test if another test won't work.
If you're having troubles with the Seatools test, then theres some other suggestions that I can make.

If the CD drive is giving problems, please leave it disconnected while we're testing.

#7 Kaylora

Kaylora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:50 PM

I know its been months - but I wanted to thank you one last time!

For financial reasons I was only just now able to afford to replace my mobo, and happily it has solved all my issues.

In the course of reassembly I also pinpointed the reason for my cpu temps being so high - the (ancient) thermal paste had essentially turned to dust. Looks like it was high time to take this poor system apart anyway!

In any event, I'm writing this from my now delightfully stable pc and once again I thank you very much for your help.  :)

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

I'm happy to hear that your system is up and running well!

Thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users