Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you know if you've downloaded something bad?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 techphobe

techphobe

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:03 PM

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-macs-get-viruses/

I was looking for a football stream on the safari browser when a message from apple popped up telling me I had a virus, click OK to repair. I clicked OK, (I guess you've all realised my mistake by this point) but by then it had loaded and said something like congratulations (can't remember the rest). I got a screenshot of it (see link, if it works). If that was my old PC I'd run a virus scan, anti-malware bytes etc, but I've no idea what to do on a mac, how do I find out if I've got malware, how do I get rid of it if so etc. I don't have any anti-virus programs at all (didn't think you needed them). The computer seems to still working OK, but I can't imagine that pop-up was benign.

On my old PC, because I was anti-virussed up to the eyeballs, when I was searching for something, in google results it would always say whether it was safe or unsafe, and if I clicked on an unsafe website I'd get a warning.

There's nothing on safari that does that, is there anything I can get, is it recommended?

Thanks for any ideas  http://i.imgur.com/bCM1f7i.jpg

Edited by techphobe, 14 April 2016 - 09:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techphobe

techphobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:51 AM

OK, I've calmed down since I posted the first comment when I thought I'd have to wipe my drive.

Having done a bit of research I think it was possibly something like this 

I got a few more pop ups that looked almost exactly the same but with different urls telling me my flash needed updating. I've managed to stop them fingers crossed, there aren't any safari extensions and the only download I don't recognise is iframemsg, I can't find out what that is.  The problem is when I get what is (I think) a legitimate pop up now, like this http://i.imgur.com/ejRJqVP.png I'm paranoid about clicking on it. I also deleted all safari files, blocked incoming connections, downloaded adblocker, antimalwarebytes, and clamxav as suggested (though not used them yet) and turned on the firewall which is surprisingly for me default off. I also tried to download the free bit defender app, but they wouldn't let me without me putting my credit card details in.
I also tried to download chrome and opera but after 2 hours they hadn't even 50% downloaded, so something still seems wrong. Is it true you're supposed to load these things through the app store if you've a mac? I got them from their website, dunno if that could be the problem.

Apart from that I'm enjoying the new carefree mac experience. :blink:

Edited by techphobe, 14 April 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#3 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

Download EtreCheck unzip it to your desktop and start. Post the Log here in code tags if possible.

#4 techphobe

techphobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:43 AM

Thanks. I'll get round to it at the weekend if that's OK. (It is a brand new machine btw) But I did show that screenshot to the help in the apple shop and he said it was nothing to worry about, and added it was virtually impossible to get a virus on a mac...

One thing I will add is I took the propaganda of you can't get infected on a mac naively literally. Download adblock for a start! I would have avoided this scare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users