Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worth building a system with this mainboard?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenbar

Ravenbar

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:04 PM

I recently recieved a BioStar MCP6P M2+ motherboard new in box for free. I have a AMD Athlon 64 x2 processor for it and large amounts of ram that also match the board(DDR2). I've tested the board and it does POST. The only thing I'm lacking to put it together is a case since all my extra cases are compact cases and any I could steal from other systems I don't use are off the shelf and don't have replaceable IO shields.

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:23 PM

in my experience, Biostar boards havent always been the best performing boards, nor steller overclockers, but they DO last forever. I built my brother a computer with a biostar board some 8 years ago, and it is STILL running strong, so as far as their quality is concerned, no complaints. 

and hey, its not a modern board either, and the price is right. As long as your not expecting it to play Crysis on full graphics, then I say its worth a cheap case from motherboard, would make a good desktop computer or a great  media center. you can get I/O shields off of ebay cheap. I have a older board with DDR2 and AMD x2 6000+ processor on a gigabyte board that I use just for that, I have it in my bathroom hooked up to a 26 inch TV by my soaker tub, I use it to watch netflix and all my R rated movies that I dont wany my kids to see lol.

Price is right, $20 case and you got yourself a decent computer there. I cant see where you can go wrong there. If you dont have a windows license running around you can easily turn it into a linux box, its full of possibilities. And if by some odd chance it does up and die in 2 months, your not out much, and if it were me, I would buy a mid range (40-50 dollar range) mid-atx case, that way you have a decent case for a new build for if and when it does hit the sack (or you get tired of it) and save yourself money down the road. 

Edited by the_patriot11, 13 April 2016 - 07:25 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:37 PM

in my experience, Biostar boards havent always been the best performing boards, nor steller overclockers, but they DO last forever. I built my brother a computer with a biostar board some 8 years ago, and it is STILL running strong, so as far as their quality is concerned, no complaints. 

and hey, its not a modern board either, and the price is right. As long as your not expecting it to play Crysis on full graphics, then I say its worth a cheap case from motherboard, would make a good desktop computer or a great  media center. you can get I/O shields off of ebay cheap. I have a older board with DDR2 and AMD x2 6000+ processor on a gigabyte board that I use just for that, I have it in my bathroom hooked up to a 26 inch TV by my soaker tub, I use it to watch netflix and all my R rated movies that I dont wany my kids to see lol.

Price is right, $20 case and you got yourself a decent computer there. I cant see where you can go wrong there. If you dont have a windows license running around you can easily turn it into a linux box, its full of possibilities. And if by some odd chance it does up and die in 2 months, your not out much, and if it were me, I would buy a mid range (40-50 dollar range) mid-atx case, that way you have a decent case for a new build for if and when it does hit the sack (or you get tired of it) and save yourself money down the road. 

I have an IO shield for it. The cases I have around either are OEM and don't have a seperate IO shield or they are too small for the board. I'm not sure what I'd use the system for, other than to let the nieces and nephews play games on it since I just built the desktop in my Sig a few months back. I've also got a couple older XP era towers collecting dust as I don't have a use for them since I put together this new system.

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:22 PM

well, whatever you use it for it should be a decently functional computer, depending on how much ram and what CPU you have, it should even run vista/7/8 or even 10 on it. Its not going to be a steller performer, but it should be good for childrens games and whatnot.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users