Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 won't relinquish control of Dell touchpad

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mijcar

mijcar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:52 PM

I have three Dell Inspiron 11's in our family.  They're identical except for the users.

On one of the machines, I am having an issue with the Touchpad.  It's not one I use; so I don't know when it began.

The touchpads are by Synaptic.

On two of the machines, there is a small app called Dell Synaptic Touchpad that enables the user to make adjustments as to pressure sensitivity, being on or off, etc.  In Device Manager, the drivers are identified under the Mouse heading as "Dell Touchpad".  In the programs section, there is a populated folder called SynTP that holds the application.

On one of the machines, none of this applies.  There is no access to a Touchpad settings app - Win 10 only allows me to adjust the length of response time (if that); and only through their generic Win 10 settings page.  Device Manager doesn't see a "Dell Touchpad"; instead there is a "MS Mouse" which doesn't exist.  And the SynTP folder is unpopulated.  Keep in mind: the Touchpad works without any problem - I just can't access the apps that let me control it.

The machine is totally up-to-date; has the same software (or less) than the other machine; and has no detectable mechanical issues.

I have tried the following, in almost every permutation possible:

1.  Downloading and reinstalling the latest drivers for the Touchpad (each time, I get a message that there is an earlier version already installed that I should delete myself -- unfortunately, there are no listings in Programs for either a Dell Synaptics Touchpad or a Synaptics Touchpad.  So I just tell the install to continue.

2.  Running a mild registry cleaner as a last resort.

3.  Disabling the driver for the spurious mouse.

4.  Updating the driver for the mouse (no updates found either on the web or on my machine.

5.  Removing the drivers for the mouse (Windows simply replaces them).

6.  Re-updating Windows

7.  The Synaptics website (useless)

8.  Dell Customer Support (well, that was 4 hours lost)

9.  Deleting all references to Synaptics from the Registry (carefully)

That's it -- anyone want to see if they can outdo Dell?

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mijcar

mijcar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:11 PM

The problem is with the Intel Serial IO 12C ES Controller.

You can read about it here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/update-causing-issues-intel-serial-io-i2c-es/66509d0d-ba9c-45a7-bc37-17498334ba14?auth=1

The solution is easy. This is from one of the responses:
===============================
I just upgraded to Windows 10 and had issues with this Intel Serial IO I2C ES Controller once again.

It once again appeared in Device Manager with an exclamation and my Dell Touchpad was not working properly and did not appear in Device Manager.

After the Win10 install my option to Rollback Driver was also grayed out so I had to do the following:

Click on Update Driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > I was presented with 3 options one of which was simply called Intel I2C Controller. I selected that one and it installed and the error went away and right after Dell Touchpad also appeared in Device Manager and started working properly.
=================================
After doing, you will need to reinstall the touchpad drivers and reboot.

Hope this helps someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users