Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I be alarmed-lots of Error and Warnings in Event Log?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Canan

Canan

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:35 PM

Just an example of what I had yesterday 51 Errors and 14 Warnings in Custom Views under the Administrative Events only.

I have been told by some that the Event Log is nothing, don’t even look at it. Ok, if it’s something we should not look at then why is it on the computer.

If there is a part of the Event Logs that should be looked at what part should it be?
I am somewhat embarrassed about how the log is with so many errors and warnings but for anyone to help me they need to see it.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:30 PM

If you haven't noticed anything wrong with your computer, you shouldn't worry.  You will always find errors in Event Viewer.  In fact, a classic ploy that scammers use is to point the user to Event Viewer to trick him into thinking something is wrong with his computer.  My advice would be to ignore Event Viewer unless you are trying to track down a problem.

BTW, please do not post your screenshot as an attached file.  Many users will not download a file simply because they can't be sure it isn't malicious.  Instead, please follow this topic for including a screenshot in your post.

#3 Canan

Canan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:45 PM

Hello Agouti, I thank you for the advice and I will stop looking at that Event Log unless I have some problems.  Sorry about the screenshot next time I will follow the topic link for including a screenshot.

Thanks for your help.

One last thing how do I mark this finished?

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:49 PM

One last thing how do I mark this finished?

You don't.  All threads remain in their current state.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:59 PM

It is not "normal" to generate so many errors in a day.

The event log can be a good place to see what processes have failed and what problems are occurring with your computer. It is the number 1 place to go to troubleshoot problems on your system. There will always be errors of some sort with software updates, startup and processes. But this doesn't mean you shouldn't check out what's happening there. Windows will often add warnings about a failing hard drive and other critical problems before you notice performance issues, sometimes this can be the only warning you get before the drive fails.

To better understand what is happening search the information in the description of the errors and warnings to find discussion about these issues. This can be a minefield as there is much speculation and misinformation online, but with practice you learn to quickly spot the truth from the tales and implement solutions quickly.

:busy:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:16 AM

Some errors aren't as bad as others.

I have never seen a system without any errors - even one's with fresh installations of Windows.

But, as Agouti has stated, if the system is working well - then don't worry about them.

If you'd like, we can look at the errors in these reports:

The first report contains several error reports, where the second report is sort of a summary that makes things easier to see (in some cases):

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Canan

Canan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:49 AM

The first report contains several error reports, where the second report is sort of a summary that makes things easier to see (in some cases):

Usasma the answer is YES, I would appreciate someone looking at the reports.

Attached are 2 folders with the reports. Thank you for looking into them for me.

Attached Files

#8 Canan

Canan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:53 AM

Just checking in to see if there was any update on the 2 folders I sent.     :bananas:    

#9 Canan

Canan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:22 PM

I have never seen a system without any errors - even one's with fresh installations of Windows.

But, as Agouti has stated, if the system is working well - then don't worry about them.

usasma Hope things are fine with you because I have not heard back from post #7 were I sent 2 files.

#10 Canan

Canan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:45 PM

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

I am still saying yes to some help.

Attached are 3 New folders with up dated information. I had to split one of the logs because it was to large and it will be on the next post..  Thank you again for your help. 

Attached Files

#11 Canan

Canan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:56 PM

Attached you will find the second half of the HOME folder.

I am unable to load it because it's 3.44 MB and it's saying I can only load 1.68 MB.

I will try again later maybe the uploading will reset the amount of MB, I don't know.

#12 Canan

Canan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:50 AM

Well I have tried again to load the second part of the HOME folder but again the attached files system will only let me load 1.68MB and the file is 3.44MB.

I will only try again to load the file is someone tells me what I am doing wrong.

I am getting a little frustrated that after a request of some information files that no one has responded.

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:26 AM

Canan, usama is the one who offered to look at your logs.  After 6 posts without a response, I think a gentle reminder via a PM would be in order.

#14 Canan

Canan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:59 AM

Canan, usama is the one who offered to look at your logs.  After 6 posts without a response, I think a gentle reminder via a PM would be in order.

Agouti thank you for the help.

#15 Canan

Canan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:47 AM

My computer has always been running great (knock on wood) I was just wanting to fix any up coming or present little problems. I have tried to give information that was asked for and responded in a timely manner.

Lots of folks have looked at this posting and I think they might have the same questions or want to know more about the Event Logs.

I have done my best to get an answer to my posting but it's time to move on.

I'd like to thank Tsvk! and Agouti for the information they gave me.

I will not give up trying to fix, clean up or get educated about my event logs. 

So this is my last posting of the matter of "Should I be alarmed-lots of Error and Warnings in Event Log?"     :smilers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users