Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is the latest cumulative update to IE still suffering from a case of KB3146449??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:35 PM

Ok, quick question. The latest Security Update to internet explorer is KB3148198. It's description no no longer says it contains the nastiness of KB3146449. But I know that updates to IE are generally cumulative. Does this mean that KB3146449 and all it's highly unwelcome actions are going to be contained within KB3148198 as they were within KB3139929?

If so does anyone yet know removal methods to rid the updates to IE of the unwanted code of KB3146449? I mean given what it is it would be quite reasonable to suggest that it deserves a tutorial about it in the same way that there are tutorials for removal of things more widely considered PUPs and worse.

What about those anti-GWX registry keys, the one for disabling GWX and un-enabling OS upgrade? do they prevent KB3146449 from doing it's nasty work? For that matter is KB3146449 able to function at all on computers which have never suffered a case of KB3035583?

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 13 April 2016 - 03:36 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:26 AM

Questions regarding specific Windows Updates...should be made in the respective forum for the impacted O/S, not in General Security.

A detailed reflection of which versions of IE are impacted can be found at https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-037 .

Per  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3146449 , KB3146449, this update relates to capability for upgrading to Windows 10.

Topic moved to Win 10 Discussion forum.

Louis

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:19 AM

Ok, sorry for posting this in the wrong forum, although this question was in the context of whether the unwelcome update (KB3146449) would be downloaded onto windows 7/8/7.1 machines which install the latest update to IE I can see how this could be considered a windows 10 related question, because of what KB3146449 is for.

Any thoughts on whether the nasty thing will still be in later updates to IE or if it would only be in the one when it was introduced, the previous update to IE?
Thanks

Edited by rp88, 15 April 2016 - 11:19 AM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:32 AM

2 off topic posts removed. If you think the topic is in the wrong forum, please report it instead of mentioning it in topic. A moderator will decide what action to take.

A third post was removed. Reason: trolling, baiting and flaming.

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:27 PM

Ok, back to topic, does the cumulative nature of updates to IE mean that the unpleasant effects of KB3146449, which was part of the previous update to ie, will be included in this latest update to IE too?

As before, if so, any thoughts on ways that the security update could be installed but KB3146449 could then be cut out from it? Might it be a matter where one could download the update the utterly manual way (as in download a file from the microsoft site through the browser) then open that file in notepad, delete all mentions of KB3146449, and then run that file to install the update but with KB3146449 cut out from it? Is that technically possible? practical?

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 21 April 2016 - 01:27 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

As before, if so, any thoughts on ways that the security update could be installed but KB3146449 could then be cut out from it? Might it be a matter where one could download the update the utterly manual way (as in download a file from the microsoft site through the browser) then open that file in notepad, delete all mentions of KB3146449, and then run that file to install the update but with KB3146449 cut out from it? Is that technically possible? practical?

I'll give you the simple answer to that question without getting in the technicalities: no it won't work.

You cannot install selective components of a Windows Update. It's either the whole thing, or nothing. Simple as that. There's no "workaround" either.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users