Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Crashed, Now I'm In Endless Auto Repair Loop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 whufc89

whufc89

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

Hi,

OS - Windows 10 (64 Bit)
RAM - 8gb
CPU - Intel Core i5 3.3Ghz
Vid Card - Nvidia GeForce GTX 570

Yesterday I had deleted a Word document by mistake, so I used System Restore to try and get it back.  System Restore told me NOT to turn off the PC whilst it was running, and next thing I know after it got halfway through my PC blue screened and I had to restart.

Now every time I load up the PC it does the following...

It loads up to the Windows 10 icon  >  After a few seconds it says 'Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart' with the error code 0xc000021a  >   It then restarts itself but THIS time it tries to start Windows Automatic Repair instead  >  It then says 'Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC', and gives me the option to click Restart or Advanced Options.  This is where I'm having the most trouble, as the mouse and keyboard don't seem to be working at all on this screen so I can't even click any of the options.  It's like the screen has frozen/crashed  >  The only way off this is to then force a restart using the power button on the PC.

The above just keeps carrying on in a loop every time I turn on the PC now.  I still have access to the BIOS where my mouse and keyboard DO work, so perhaps I can fix it from there, but I've no idea what to do.  It's EXTREMELY important that I don't lose the data on this PC, and that I can have access back to it as soon as possible, as I work from home and am currently losing money because of this.
I would massively appreciate any help I can get with this, thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 13 April 2016 - 02:57 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to W10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

Because Windows 10 uses a hybrid shutdown the procedure I am outlining may not be able to mount the drive so you can access your data. If you use a Windows Live account to login to windows the data may be encrypted.

On another computer download Fatdog64. This is a linux distro that will boot and hopefully recover you data to an external hard drive. 

Here is the iso file.  Fatdog64-702.iso

Once downloaded you can burn the iso to a CD or DVD by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. You may need to access your BIOS/UEFI to make your optical drive the first boot device. Depending on the make and model of the computer you can press a key at boot to open a boot menu where you can select your boot device.

At the Fatdog Desktop you will see your hard drive partitions listed as sda1....sda2... sda3 etc depending on the number of partitions on the disk. For a Windows 10 computer your files may be on sda3. Click once on a sda partition. If the partition can mount a File Manage window will open. Clicking once on a folder will open it. If you do not see your files then close the file manager and select another sdaX partition.  If you are able to see your files then post back and I will give instructions on copying files to a USB flash drive or USB external drive. This will at least get your important data back if the partitions can mount. Hopefully they will.

#3 whufc89

whufc89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:47 PM

Many thanks for the quick reply.  Can I by any chance use a USB stick as a bootable device instead of a CD/DVD?  I don't have any blank CDs lying around at the moment and all the shops are closed.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:57 PM

You can try Rufus. Download it here. Run Rufus with your USB flash drive attached. Make sure your flash drive is listed. Leave all boxes as checked. Use MBR partition for BIOS or UEFI. In the dropdown box that lists FreeDos select iso image and click the small icon. Browse to the iso image of FatDog. Press Start. Backup any data on the drive as it will be erased.

If you cannot get Fatdog to boot then try again but select GPT for a partition scheme. You may need to disable SecureBoot in BIOS/UEFI and enable Legacy Boot or it is sometimes called CSM boot. If you have a setting called FastBoot/Quickboot then disable it also.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 April 2016 - 02:58 PM.

#5 whufc89

whufc89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:32 PM

It's a PC I built myself several years back.  The BIOS is from Asus.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:46 PM

If custom built I doubt SecureBoot would be enabled if is is in UEFI. 

#7 whufc89

whufc89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:06 PM

Hi,

I managed to get FatDog to work and booted it using Rufus.  Thank you very much for your help so far.  I see all my files, and they are in 'sda2'.  How exactly can I retrieve them using an external HDD?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:50 AM

Attach another flash drive to the computer. You will see a USB icon appear on the desktop next to the sdX icons. Click once on it and a File Manager will open. You should now have two windows opened, sda2 and your recovery flash drive window. Left Click and drag the title bar of the windows until they are side by side. You can also Left Click and corner of the window to resize it.

Hold Ctrl + Left Click to select all your files/folders in the sda2 window. Remember, if you need to open a folder you only need to click once. You can also Left Click and drag a window around the files/folders to highlight them. Drag your highlighted folders from the sda2 File Manager to the File Manager of your USB recovery drive. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy, not Move. Check the Quite Box.

Your files will be copied to the USB flash or external drive. Exit out of Fatdog. It will ask you if you want to save your settings. Say No. Remove the USB drives after the computer shuts down,

#9 Vanch

Vanch

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:38 AM

That's great, thank you very much.  I think I did it wrong though... I managed to retrieve ALL my files (thank God) but now I've got hundreds of little icons cluttering up the folders with names like "desktop.ini"

Can I delete these?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

Yes, you can delete the desktop.ini files: Off the external drive you copied your files to. And I am glad you were able to successfully retrieve your files.

Edit: Is Vanch the same poster as whufc89?

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 April 2016 - 08:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users