Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Browser

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

:thumbsup:
Hello Everyone,

A puzzle, instead of internet explorer, I am considering installing a new browser, therefore the decision is which? Firefox or maybe Opera........ any personal recommendations would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tony. :flowers:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:31 PM

I personally use Opera. No hassle. No security flaws. Super fast. No need for extensions. Able to remember tabs for next session.
Just my $0.02.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

Why limit yourself to only one?
You can use as many browsers as you want.
Some times I'll have IE, Firefox, and Opera all open at the same time.

Of the three listed, I prefer Firefox.
It was the easiest for me to learn.
In most instances, you will find Firefox to be a faster browser, especially if you employ pipelining.
Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining
The reason it's faster is because Firefox doesn't come pre-loaded with a bunch of features you don't need.
You can run Firefox as lean, or as bloated as you want with the use of extensions, which allow you to customize it the way you want it, not the way someone else thinks it should be.
Enhancing Firefox with Browser Extensions
Extensions
NOTE:
When adding extensions I'd advise adding one at a time, try it for a couple of days, and if no problems crop up, add another.
Sometimes extensions have been known to cause problems, due to incompatabilities, or corrupt downloads.
If you install them one at a time, and test it, it's easier to troubleshoot if one starts causing problems.

Firefox, like Opera, also makes use of a feature called, tabbed browsing, which I really like.
When opening several links at one time, instead of having several windows open, you can open the links in tabs, in the same window.
I've had as many as 30 links open at the same time in one window.
This way, instead of navigating between several open windows to view your open links, you can just click on the tabs to switch between your different links.

I've been using Firefox for several years (since it was known as Firebird), and wouldn't go back to IE for any reason.
I think once you get used to using it, you'll feel the same way.
Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.
If you don't like it, just uninstall it, that easy.

You can find other alternative browsers here, under the Web Browsers heading:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
Try as many as you want, and see which you like best, as they're all free.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 magman68classic

magman68classic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

FIREFOX

#5 Seth_z

Seth_z

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:18 PM

FIREFOX

I expected the First reply to say that lol, I always hear how everyone likes firefox 1000times better than IE. like tg1911 I use a couple of them, IE and firefox.. I use to always use IE but have always been hearing how firefox is better security wise also. I read somewhere that Microsoft gave up on making IE the best possible, while other browsers like firefox are always trying to make it better and safer.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

I use Opera and Firefox,but only use IE when absolutely necessary. Now while I prefer Ff, the great thing is that you can download either that or Opera and try each for a couple of weeks to determine which YOU prefer. Either is preferable to IE in both security and functionality. Both are used by many members here, so you can rely on their support if you have questions or problems.
Microsoft only became interested in updating IE when Firefox/Mozilla and Opera began to dramatically steal market share. Whether MS will continue to improve its browswer will no doubt depend on how much competition the Open Source folks provide in the future. One should look to the alternative browsers to lead the pack, and MS to follow.
(Just remember, that since IE is a part of the Windows Operating System, you absolutely must keep it patched).
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 05 August 2006 - 09:38 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 03:41 AM

FIREFOX

I didnt expect people to be this immature on these forums but I guess I was wrong.
1. No need for caps lock
2. Your post does not help anyone, giving no reasons why you prefer the browser or anything.

Only time I use IE is for Windows updates or IE only webpages.

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:45 AM

Firefox does have a great little extension called IE Tab that allows you to view IE only webpages within Firefox. They claim to have successfully run a Windows update using this extension.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:57 AM

Firefox does have a great little extension called IE Tab that allows you to view IE only webpages within Firefox. They claim to have successfully run a Windows update using this extension.

I'm sure I have tryed that as well as using 'mask as IE' on Opera but bother didnt work. i may be wrong tho.

#10 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:10 PM

Am currently using... Firefox, Opera and Netscape 8.1 (as well as the ummmm IE lol)
If i'm just general surfing i prefer 'Opera'.... no frills, no extensions.. just fast browsing.
If i'm on here, i prefer 'Firefox'.... the bb code, paste quote, smiley Xtra extensions make it so much easier.
I don't use Netscape very much, (until i found 'firefox' it was my main browser) but it's there if i feel like a change. lol.
I definately agree with the others....

Why limit yourself to only one?
You can use as many browsers as you want.

One should look to the alternative browsers to lead the pack, and MS to follow.

Edited by Starbuck, 05 August 2006 - 12:20 PM.

BBPP6nz.png

#11 magman68classic

magman68classic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

FIREFOX

I didnt expect people to be this immature on these forums but I guess I was wrong.
1. No need for caps lock
2. Your post does not help anyone, giving no reasons why you prefer the browser or anything.

Is that a compliment?

#12 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:48 AM

Is that a compliment?

There we go again with the immaturity. Please use some common sense and try to grow up.

#13 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:08 AM

:thumbsup: Hiya Everyone.

Once again I am grateful for the advise given.

Will take the advise and give Firefox and Opera a trail each for a couple of weeks. Got to be an improvement on I E.

Thanks once again.

Tony. :flowers:

Edited by Bonneville, 06 August 2006 - 10:09 AM.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#14 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:51 AM

Enjoy your browsing experience Tony!

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:46 PM

Bonneville,

As a regular Opera user I will give you a link that showcases what most, if not, all of Opera's capabilities are. It was written when it was Opera ver 8. However the information is still relevant. Check out 30 Days to becoming an Opera Lover, Mastering the World’s Best Internet Suite. Scroll down and look on the right hand side for a heading "titled" 30 Day Series.

Also that link is quite useful, for anyone interested in possibly thinking about trying Opera, or is a beginning Opera user.

Be (Try It For 30 Days) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users