Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo G50 Hard Drive failure after wiping the hard drive

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BaphOfWonder

BaphOfWonder

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:53 AM

I have been a rather big idiot. I had a very secure linux operating system called "Kali" that I should not have been using since I did not have enough knowledge about Linux, bash shell etc. Because of that I decided to get rid of it. Unfortunately, the OS refuses to boot into anything but itself. Even upon instructing the bios to boot into my USB, Kali Linux boots instead.

I decided to wipe my hard drive, since that surely should delete Kali, and allow me to boot from my USB and install a different OS instead. Since I have a lack of experience with the bash shell, I had to look up a tutorial about it. This landed me on this tutorial: https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-securely-destroy-wipe-data-on-hard-drives-with-shred. O decided to wipe the whole drive, since I had no important files on it. This was likely my mistake.

I followed the tutorial, and it seemed to somewhat work. I run the command through Kali, expecting it to shutdown or something alike once its finished. It didn't, but I did see some noticeable changes. Some icons were gone, folders looked like text files. I proceeded to restart my PC.

Upon booting up, I receive the error: PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable. Followed by: PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE rom. I heavily doubt any cables came loose, it's definitely the shred command that did it. One key recovery button does not allow me to reinstall windows and return to factory settings, since I wiped the whole drive thanks to my stupidity.

Booting from a USB containing he installation for Debian does nothing, as all I receive is "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" along with the same errors as before. I tried every USB port.

I set my Sata HDD to be the first to boot, followed by Sata ODD, then Network Boot and then USB HDD.
Upon making USB the first to boot, nothing changes. I get the exact same error messages

I realise I've done something incredibly stupid, it's all my fault, and it probably deserve it. But is there any way to fix my Hard drive, and install the OS on my USB?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 13 April 2016 - 03:11 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:23 PM

Hello and welcome!

From the way that you have described it the Sata HDD is the mechanical hdd in your system (that is why when you boot it is stating "no bootable device found".  You will want to make the USB HDD first to boot.  Also what is the make and model of your computer?  There may be another way to physically choose which device to boot from instead of setting that in the BIOS.  And the PXE boot is actually a network boot, that is not either the HDD or the USB https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment.

pa9d6f-4.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:37 PM

Do you have anything else on this external hdd other than the Windows 7 installation media?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 BaphOfWonder

BaphOfWonder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:13 PM

The external HDD contains the installation media for Debian Linux and nothing else. I am fairly certain that the problem is not with the USB, as I've previously used to it install kali and ubuntu. Also, I tried installing both arch and Debian on my laptop, and both times I get the same errors.

My main 1Tb hard drive is the one I used the shred command on, so I doubt there's anything left on it. The SDD also fails to boot, so I doubt that has anything useful.

This is the make of my laptop: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g50-80/

I also tried putting the USB as first in the boot order twice, but the exact same errors occur nothing changes.

Edited by BaphOfWonder, 13 April 2016 - 01:15 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:42 PM

Can you access the USB by tapping F12 at boot.

#6 BaphOfWonder

BaphOfWonder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:48 PM

No, I cant access the USB by pressing F12 at boot. I am considering putting ubuntu on that USB stick. I've already installed ubuntu twice using it, so it should work. If it doesn't then it must be a problem with the PC.

Also, I believe I don't have any partitions on my hard drive. Maybe they all got deleted during the wipe?

Edited by BaphOfWonder, 13 April 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:54 PM

If you used the dd command in linux to write zeros to the disk then you are correct, you will not have any partitions on the disk. But, if you hard drive is not detected in BIOS/UEFI then you will not be able to install Ubuntu to it.

#8 BaphOfWonder

BaphOfWonder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:11 PM

I'm fairly certain that it is detected. I have a 1Tb HDD and a ~25Gb SSD. When changing the boot loading settings, I can select whether I want to boot the HDD, SDD, USB or the network card first. So I'll assume its detected.

I'll be back once I burn the ubuntu ISO onto my USB. Hopefully it works, but I doubt it since the last 2 attempts with other operating systems failed.

Also, I used the shred command, which is supposed to delete data and make it unrecoverable. I am not sure if that corrupted/did something to my hard drive that makes it not work. Thank all of you for your help by the way.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

How about running a hard drive diagnostic before attempting to go further?  If the drive is not functional, it's pointless to speculate on any future use.

As previously stated...the PXE errors were just indicative of an attempt to boot the system via network connection.  If you did not set the BIOS for such, I would have to speculate that your CMOS battery may be failing.

Louis

#10 BaphOfWonder

BaphOfWonder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

I'd like to run it, however no matter what I do I cant boot into anything. USB fails. Every hard drive fails. I'm not sure how I could run it if everything I try to boot into fails.

These tools probably come with a CD. What if they don't boot?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:36 PM

I would try creating a bootable USB with Rufus using Parted Magic. You will need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI if enabled and possibly enable Legacy or CSM boot. Boot to the Parted Magic Desktop and click on Disk Health. Run the Short and Long tests.

When running Rufus select MBR partitions scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is in the dropdown box select iso image and browse to the Parted Magic iso. Press Start.

Parted Magic has the Gparted Partition Manager. You can see if you have deleted all your partitions.

#12 BaphOfWonder

BaphOfWonder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:59 PM

Hmm, my other computer is a MAC, and I'm not sure if Wine can run rufus (i doubt it). I could use a command to burn parted magic onto a USB. The problem is, I cant get my PC to boot from USB, so I doubt it would work.

Update. I changed boot mode to EUFI from legacy. However upon booting the only option I have is Network card. Neither the hard drive or USB is recognised.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

You can use UnetBootin for MAC to create a bootable USB. That may work. Since you have already downloaded the iso click on the Diskimage button and browse to the iso.

#14 BaphOfWonder

BaphOfWonder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:13 PM

John, oh my god. Thank you so much. It actually worked! Apparently whatever command I was told to use was wrong. It all works now. Looks like it wasn't such a big problem after all. Thank you very much once again ;)

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:22 PM

Could you explain further? When you say it works, are you talking about Parted Magic or being able to boot your Windows install. In any event glad you resolved the problem. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users