Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with windows account management

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gromit77

gromit77

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:40 AM

Hi

Long story short.......

My PC locked me out, refused my password even though it was correct, I used Linux Live CD to use the terminal and edit the SAM file, tried a few things but in the end the only thing that worked was to disable my main account as an admin, create a new account and make that an admin. And that let me back into the PC. Of course the only problem now is that I cannot access my old account and my files!

I know very little about windows accounts and how to manage them as I'm the only user of my PC so I've never had to deal with multiple accounts.

So what I need to know now is how can I access my other account, I don't want to go back to Live CD and mess with the SAM again as when I did it said something about a "hibernation file" and that it could cause data loss to access the drive again.

I don't want to disable the new account until I'm 100% certain that the old account will login, I have some nagging doubts that the old account is corrupt in some way.

the account shows up in NET USER though it said the "Password does not meet complexity requirements" , I changed the policy to allow a minimum of 3 characters as the pass was previously a 4 digit pin. And tried to activate the account, thinking on next boot I would be presented with 2 accounts to login in to, what actually happened was the new account booted and gave me a PASSWORD INCORRECT error!!  I then had to use WINDOWS PASSWORD RECOVERY and set the new accounts password again.

So I'm now a bit worried about the messing with it again which is why I'm looking for a bit of expert guidance!!

So can anyone advice what would be the best step, I guess ideally what I would want is when the PC boots to be presented with 2 accounts so that if the OLD account is messed up in some way I can at least log in to the NEW one. Currently when I boot up the only account that I can login to is the NEW one.

If I go to the add account feature in "family & other users" and enter the old details for my other account, should it accept it? because when I put the email address in for the old account it says "sorry something went wrong".

Thanks for any advice, (sorry its so long)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

Can you locate the files and not access them?

#3 gromit77

gromit77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

I could see the files in Linux but when windows booted up on the new account folders like Music are empty.

I went back to linux and I can still see them so its not like they're deleted.

#4 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:03 PM

If you go to This PC icon>>>>> C: drive>>>>>>Users>>> Do you see the user that has the files you want listed here? What happens when you try to click on this user?

#5 gromit77

gromit77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:52 PM

Hi

I've just looked and I have a WINDOWS and WINDOWS.OLD. folder, the files I want to access are in the OLD folder and  it says I do not have permission to access them.

But really the answer I was looking for was to re-instate my old desktop.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:44 PM

gromit77, my advice would be to forget about trying to fix the old admin account if it is corrupted.  Your personal files are the most important thing on the computer.  You should be happy that you can see them from a live Linux session.  You can always reorganize the desktop again.  Boot into the Linux session once more and copy the files to the new admin account.  Next, boot into Windows, sign in to your new account and make sure you can access your files.  If I am not mistaken, the Windows.old folder might have been created by a Windows update.  Ignore the folder and, in time, Windows will remove the folder on its own.

Edited by Agouti, 13 April 2016 - 05:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users