Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

boot- cannot load windows -partition/drives - blown up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jerry101010

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

brief summary windows 7 to windows 10 upgrade completed about 6 months ago; 2 days ago could not load windows 10, initially thought disk failure- hp doctor and initial boot revealed smart error- however, drives are messed up- changed and reassigned different letters - windows cant be found,

H P Pavilion elite HPE 170t

1 TB hard drive 8 gigs RAM-

added additional 2 TB drive

also one HP pocket drive – 600 gigs

use for pro- avg antivirus/ comodo firewall, also malware-bytes, super anti-spyware

using downloaded Windows 10 install recovery media on thumb drive

boots up, identifies the first drives as ST 31000 52 8 AS

2nd drive as Hitachi (one I added)

3rd drive as DVD

4th drive is none

there is a hard drive failure warning for the ST 3100  (smart)

prompts for F 10 configuration or F2 to to continue

goes to automatic repair, diagnosing, states that it did not start correctly, and gives you the option to go to advanced options in which you can continue, troubleshoot, or turn off

if you try to reset the PC you get the message: the drive is locked

if you try system restore you get the message: no restore points

if you try system image recovery it finds the most recent system image  and identifies its location as new volume D:, then prompt you to create a recovery disk when you try to do that it takes you back to choose an option under – continue, troubleshoot, turn off

if you restart- cycles back f10/F2- auto repair...

using the command line the disk part list command reveals the following

name                    letter     Label                     FS                           type                       size                        status   

volume 1             c              system                 NTFS                      partition               100 MB                 healthy                

volume 2             H                                           RAW                     partition               919 GB                  healthy

volume 3             I               factory_IMA         NTFS                      partition               11 GB                    healthy

volume 4             J                                           NTFS                      partition               450 MB                 healthy

volume 5             D             new volume       NTFS                      partition               1863 GB                healthy

volume 6             E              HP pocket           fat 32                     partition               596 GB                  healthy

volume 7             F              EST – USD            fat 32                     removable          14 GB                    healthy

volume 8             G                                                                             removable          14 G                       healthy

volume 9             K                                                                             removable          zero                       healthy

volume 10           L                                                                              removable          zero                       healthy

volume 11           M                                                                            removable          zero                       healthy

there’s also a volume 0 drive X which is the boot up windows repair thumb drive

from the X prompt                                         

Bootrec/RebuildBcd -results in successfully scanned, total identified Windows installations: 0

Bootrec/FixMbr- resulted in completed successfully

Bootrec/Fixboot- resulted in completed successfully

Bootrec/scanOs- resulted in zero Windows installations

directory D:

had 29 files, a directories including the Windows image backup; mediaID.bin, DCCREDIST.bmp; as well as

9 files-  install.res.1028.dll   with numbers ranging from 1028 -3052

6 files comprise strings of 30 alphanumeric characters in what appeared to be a random order

directory C:

volume and drive C is system; serial number 2667 – c4id  

directory C:/file not found

directory H:

file does not contain a recognize filesystem

any assistance would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:46 PM

C:\ is only 100 mB - likely misnamed due to the methods that you're using

H:\ is RAW file system - most often you'll see that when a drive is either dead/dying, or the file system has been borked.

X:\ is the RAM drive that the OS is actually running from (loaded from the USB drive I presume)

Did you attempt to run CHKDSK /R /F on the H:\ drive?

If so, what were the results?

Have you run the HP diagnostics (if the system has them)?

If so, what were the results?

If not, then please run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

You may have to disable Secure Boot and enable CSM/legacy mode in order to boot to the hard drive diagnostics.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users