Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender enabled inadvertently while scanning my computer for malware?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:18 AM

Hi all!

While scanning my computer for malware by using multiple anti-malware tools mentioned here at BC, I inadvertently enabled Windows Defender, which popped up in 'Notifications' with a request for a quick scan of my computer, and after this I realized that WD was running alongside EAM Pro.

I immediately got worried that I possibly have damaged my computer security settings, and therefore uninstalled and reinstalled EAM Pro, as well as searching the Internet for a quick repair and downloaded a registry file in order to disable WD permanently.

This of course worked well, but am I good to go or would I benefit from restoring my registry with Windows Repair (All in One) or run System Restore to an earlier point of time before this happened (I have the habit of backing up my registry and creating a restore point before every anti-malware tool that I am running, just in case)?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 14 April 2016 - 08:01 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:33 AM

Windows Defender is a friend, not malware  :)   You're good to go, regardless of whether WD is on or off.  Can I have a copy of the REG file you downloaded?  I collect REG files.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:43 AM

Hi, RolandJS!

Thank you for the prompt and calming reply! :)

That is nice to hear! B)

Yeah, sure you can! I downloaded it from here. :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:24 AM

I find it strange that you were able to turn on Windows Defender.  Nevertheless, you could have turned it off again instead of uninstalling and reinstalling EAM Pro.  Just go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Defender and turn off all the switches.  No need for overkill.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:50 AM

Yes...you are good to go. No sense messing with the registry if all is working fine again.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:45 AM

Hi again, Agouti & quietman7!

Thank you both for the prompt and reassuring replies! :)

I suspect the culprit to be ClamWin Free Anti-virus - ClamWin Portable. I will try to explain;

The last time I tried ClamWin, the result was just a bunch of files in a folder with a corresponding name, but no new Start Menu entries, and it was not obvious which file to double click in order to start the application.

This time however, the result was a whole lot different, as the installation never actually finished, but in stead hang on 'Downloading Updates', and afterwards there were new Start Menu entries, and IMO ClamWin acted as a full-featured Anti-virus which somehow conflicted with EAM Pro and as such messed up WD.

There was no way to get ClamWin to update whatsoever, so I ditched it and moved on to another AM-tool on the list.

But, if the concensus is that I am good to go, then I am happy with it. B)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 15 April 2016 - 05:50 AM.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:07 AM

I have never used ClamWin.  However, your 1st link is to ClamWin's home site and I would assume that that is where you got the installer this time.  Your 2nd link is to the Portable Apps version which I assume is the version you tried previously.  The one from Portable Apps comes with a wrapper which makes it portable and independent of the operating system.  If you use the portable version, no Start Menu entries will be created.  Portable programs invariably do not automatically create Start Menu entries or desktop shortcuts.  On the other hand, the installer version from the home site would most likely create these entries.

Also, I don't know what you mean by "...ClamWin acted as a full-featured Anti-virus...".  ClamWin is an antivirus, and as such, you are liable have conflicts if another antivirus is present.  ClamWin is not an antimalware.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

ClamWin Free Anti-virus is useful if you want something portable on a USB or removable drive. however, it does not include an on-access real-time scanner to automatically scan your computer or scan files as you download them. That means you

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:07 AM

"...That means you..."  Quietman7

I suspect you got cut off by The 'Net   :)

You probably meant to conclude that the end-user must either initiate on-demand scans or schedule the scans, correct?

Edited by RolandJS, 14 April 2016 - 11:08 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:26 PM

The complete sentence was...That means you have to schedule a scan of your system or manually click on a file to scan it individually in order to detect any malware.

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:32 AM

Hi again, Agouti, quietman7 & RolandJS!

Thank you all for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

Also, I don't know what you mean by "...ClamWin acted as a full-featured Anti-virus...".  ClamWin is an antivirus, and as such, you are liable have conflicts if another antivirus is present.  ClamWin is not an antimalware.

Thank you for pointing out the difference; I should have chosen the Portable App in stead. :blink:

I understand your point about scheduling and individual scanning, and that is actually what I am doing already; with VTzilla and EAM Pro. :thumbsup:

I just downloaded ClamWin Portable and scanned my system with it, which completed with success. :thumbup2:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 15 April 2016 - 09:03 AM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users