Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 4920 BIOS Upgrade disaster

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ivanhoe76

Ivanhoe76

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

I have an old Acer Aspire 4920 laptop running Windows XP on which I have just attempted a BIOS upgrade, using the flash program from Acer's website, only to find that it must be the wrong BIOS despite what the site told me!

The computer will not boot at all now, simply going into a circuit as far as Windows startup, then reverts back to "Your computer failed to start correctly" etc. then whatever option I choose it does the same again.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way of restoring the BIOS to the previous (working) version?  Since I do not know what version it was origionally I don't even know which version to search for, even if I knew how to re-flash the BIOS.

ANY help would be MUCH appreciated, even though the Acer is not my main machine it does come in handy, and I'd like to get it working again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

If it progresses as far as the Windows startup, I'm not sure that indicates you've used the wrong BIOS. A BIOS update affecting Windows is rare, but not unheard of if a really big change has been made. Do you have or have access to XP installation media to try a Windows repair?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Ivanhoe76

Ivanhoe76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:59 AM

If it progresses as far as the Windows startup, I'm not sure that indicates you've used the wrong BIOS. A BIOS update affecting Windows is rare, but not unheard of if a really big change has been made. Do you have or have access to XP installation media to try a Windows repair?

I just get the Windows startup first screen for a second, then it switches back to the failure options, I'll try re-installing Windows though, anything is worth a try!

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:30 AM

Will it enter the BIOS setup screen and access the BIOS functions normally? If you can do this, that would be another indication it's probably not the wrong BIOS, likewise if you can boot from installation media and progress to doing a repair.

#5 Ivanhoe76

Ivanhoe76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:47 AM

Will it enter the BIOS setup screen and access the BIOS functions normally? If you can do this, that would be another indication it's probably not the wrong BIOS, likewise if you can boot from installation media and progress to doing a repair.

It entered the BIOS setup OK, but the boot order had been messed up, something has obviously changed things at random, I've put the boot order right and it's now booted from the Windows CD, so I'll do a complete new installation and see if things are then put right.  Many thanks for you help, very grateful

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:18 AM

It's not unusual for BIOS settings to have changed after the update, usually because the flashing utility clears the CMOS data and settings take default values. If the CMOS data is retained unchanged, an alteration to the range of possible BIOS options can mean the data locations don't correspond and that will alter the settings too. But because this can occasionally set an unbootable state, it's more usual to clear the data.

#7 Ivanhoe76

Ivanhoe76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:17 PM

Re-install solved my problems, obviously it was just a coincidence that the non-start happened right after my BIOS update, making me sure that I had the wrong BIOS.  Again, many thanks, Platypus, for setting me straight!

Not sure how I mark this thread "solved"?

Edited by Ivanhoe76, 13 April 2016 - 04:19 PM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

Glad to hear it's all resolved. We don't use any official way to mark a topic solved, other than it being declared in the discussion. Topics are usually left open in case of future additions or inquiries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users