Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe using 50% CPU

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 debodun

debodun

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:45 PM

I noticed today that one of the svchost processes had been running at 50% CPU all day (see screenshot of Task Manager). Also, I can't manually install MalwareBytes updates (get error message) or update MSSE defs (just hangs at SEARCHING). I tried rebooting, but that same svchost process just goes back to 50% CPU usage. I right clicked on the svchost in Task Manager, and then Go To Services. The ones highlighted in blue are:
AeLookupSvc
Appinfo
BITS
iphlpsvc
LanmanServer
MMCSS
ProfSvc
Schedule
SENS
ShellHWDetection
Themes
winmgmt
wuauserv

What's going on and is there a fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slovokia

slovokia

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:31 PM

I have seen something similar today (4/12/2016 3PM Pacific Time) on a system running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.

I isolated each service in a separate process as described here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askperf/2009/04/10/prf-high-cpu-svchost-exe/

I then determined that the offending service was wuauserv.

I then ran the Windows Update troubleshooting tool: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

That seemed to clear the problem temporarily. However when Windows checks for updates again the problem will reoccur. So I have temporarily shut off Windows Update - I had previously configured it to "Download Updates but let me choose when to install them".

My working hypothesis is that there is a temporary problem with Windows Update for Windows 7. Hopefully Microsoft will get a clue and fix the problem. Given that it is the second Tuesday of the month I suspect Microsoft is pushing out some updates today. 

#3 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:43 PM

Tried the troubleshooting tool. Didn't help. How do you disable windows updates?

Attached Files

Edited by debodun, 12 April 2016 - 05:51 PM.

#4 feckingcomputer

feckingcomputer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

I just registered to let you know I'm having the same problem today. My laptop is burning up and making sounds like a vacuum cleaner, which is both stressing me out and giving me an enormous migraine. I've isolated it to the wuauserv process through Resource Manager (100% CPU usage!) and have tried restarting and stopping it to no avail. I've also restarted my computer several times and ran the update troubleshooting tool (which says there's a problem with the latest update). What a pain in the ass. I've also run system scans to make sure I haven't picked up any new malware or viruses. The best I can do now is keep manually stopping the process every time it crops up again every few minutes.  :(

Like slovakia said, hope Microsoft gets a clue and fixes it soon.

EDIT: To disable Windows Update, just search for windows update and change settings to update never and untick the Windows Update box for good measure.

Edited by feckingcomputer, 12 April 2016 - 07:15 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:33 PM

Same issue here, svchost running at 50% and manually doing a Windows Update is constantly trying to find something. Microsoft has done something with their update servers lately. I think priority is being given to Windows 10. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 April 2016 - 07:33 PM.

#6 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

The Action Center says to download an important update - NET Framework 4.6.1. I already have this installed. What's the deal with that?

#7 slovokia

slovokia

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:40 PM

FYI - Just for grins I turned Windows 7 update on again. It took approximately 1.5 hours of cpu from 1/4 of an i5-750 before wuauserv finally stopped consuming CPU. Now I am finally applying the updates - It will be interesting to see if things work properly. Either Microsoft is deliberately making life difficult for Windows 7 users or the folks that manage Windows Update are not as competent as they used to be.

O.K. The update seemed to work properly.

Edited by slovokia, 12 April 2016 - 08:55 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

I gave up looking for updates. Hopefully the Update will appear in the System Tray tomorrow.

#9 feckingcomputer

feckingcomputer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:03 PM

I think priority is being given to Windows 10. 

I wish there was a way to get Microsoft's attention and report the issue directly, but I can find no such form on the website. Windows Update is disabled for now.

Edited by feckingcomputer, 12 April 2016 - 09:05 PM.

#10 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:30 AM

Today the svchost.exe is still using 50% CPU. Checked Action Center. Says I need to download NET Framework 4.6.1. I already have that version installed. How can I stop it saying I need that when I already have it?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:48 AM

I am not sure why you are getting that error but today I booted the computer and svchost (netsvcs) is still running at 50%. This is ridiculous. Well, I have one computer running linux, I guess this one will be too. 

Edit: @debodun, have you tried running the Windows Update Readiness Tool?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

Update: Disabling the Windows Update Service Solved the problem but of course this is only a temporary solution. At least the laptop fan isn't running itself to death.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 April 2016 - 08:01 AM.

#12 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

Was able to download updates today (about 20 of them) in 3 groups. CPU usage back to normal, for now. Thanks for all responses.

Edited by debodun, 13 April 2016 - 04:10 PM.

#13 feckingcomputer

feckingcomputer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

I'm still getting the same bullbleep errors. Did you do anything specific to successfully get the updates, or just let the computer run its full course?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:48 PM

Take a look at this thread. I downloaded and installed the latest Windows Update Agent, Client, and KB3102810. Still nothing. I still have the Windows Update Service disabled or I get 50% CPU usage on svchost. This is definitely a Microsoft Windows 7 issue.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608538/windows-7-clean-install/

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:33 AM

Take a look at this thread. I downloaded and installed the latest Windows Update Agent, Client, and KB3102810. Still nothing. I still have the Windows Update Service disabled or I get 50% CPU usage on svchost. This is definitely a Microsoft Windows 7 issue.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608538/windows-7-clean-install/

Update the Windows Update Client to the latest version https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users