Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to the Crew

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 barelytechliterate

barelytechliterate

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:27 PM

Hi everyone.  So I was looking for some tech help and found this place.  You all sound relatively not-like-bleeps and I saw that you guys have advice on a variety of topics instead of just being about computers/software, so I figured I'd go ahead and join.  I'm not tech-savvy as my username will point out, but I'm interested in all the grand things that I can learn (as a substitute for going to college since I have neither the resources nor the time required).  The internet has always been my favorite go-to resource for looking things up or learning more about something or other (at one point it was Haitian voodoo and that stuff gets really far into it).

Anyway, I guess I should tell you all a little about myself:

I am 26.

I am a (miserable) manager at a fast food joint which primarily sells chicken.  (Not KFC)

I have a second job at a retail place for tools with a stupidly complicated system for discounts and returns. (A miserable cashier)

I have worked on (and fixed) my own car (before I got a high tech one).

I haven't been out of the country (but eventually, I'd like to see all the beautiful places in the world, not just the icons/landmarks, but the stuff no one pays attention to).

I am an amateur artist/photographer/writer with inept and outdated equipment (although, I know I write well because my work was stolen and used and it pisses me off that I can't prove it).

I have insufficient skills in digital art and photo editing (although, I've gotten relatively good at video editing.  Not great you understand, but good.)

I know nearly nothing about code, but am curious about how to do it.

I know next to nothing about running/programming/anything else with software (and have suffered for it).

I know a thing or two about hardware and where everything goes and how to fix my keyboard and how to fix the buttons and where to put the RAM.

Mostly, I want to learn about stuff.  Lots of stuff.  Because the world is full of amazing things and I want to know about them.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 12 April 2016 - 06:17 PM.
Moved from 'General Chat' to 'Introductions'.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:20 PM

Welcome to BC !

We can't help you with your job problems but you will find a waelth of information on some of your other desires here. But read the Forum Rules and spend a little while just browsing the forum to get a feel for what is done heere.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Forums!

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#4 barelytechliterate

barelytechliterate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:23 PM

Ah, yes, thanks ya'll.  I see I've made the mistake of putting the topic in the wrong forum, but hey, beginners bad luck.

I figure if I know more, I can become more, so I'll be on here kinda frequently.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:00 PM

:welcome: to bleeping :) if you have any questions don't be afraid to post them, that's what we are here for!
P.S: if you ever get interested in the server side of things, I know a few casual communities looking for new members :)
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:52 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

As a new member be sure to read the Welcome to Bleeping Computer! Guide and the following...Best regards.
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 antoniu200

antoniu200

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:58 AM

Welcome! I have joined this forum not a very long time ago, and I must say that I'm impressed. It has very nice members, including the administrators and moderators, which on all the forums I have been a member were really rude, very easy to understand the explication of some things and what I like the best, no banning for no reason.

#8 barelytechliterate

barelytechliterate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:20 PM

Ah, a warm welcome indeed.  Thank you for your suggestions.  I shall enlighten myself.  *adjusts monocle*  And on a serious note, I'm glad to have found a decent community of computer experts.  :love4u:

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:25 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users