Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with drivers in Windows 98SE

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

HP Vectra XE310 with Win98SE installed.

I am setting this computer up for a friend who wants to play he's old games.

I have installed Win98SE with no problems. I then downloaded the drivers from HP. The only trouble I'm having is with the Lan driver and the sound driver for the PCI cards.

I have the drivers but windows will not install them. I've been to device manager and tried to install but same problem.

Is there a correct procedure to install these that I'm obviously not doing.

Hope someone can help.

Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:53 PM

Can you confirm please that both the LAN and sound use expansion cards? If so, the drivers for those cards will be supplied by their manufacturers rather than HP.

If the unit has no on-board LAN, it looks like it is a Series 1, the LAN driver from HP for the Series 2 is for on-board Intel Pro 100 VE. If the LAN driver for Series 1 will not load on the system with a PCI LAN card fitted, then it's likely not the original LAN card HP provided with the unit. Will LAN be essential?

You'd need to identify what cards are fitted to the unit, and source the appropriate drivers.

Alternatively for sound, you could try reverting to the on-board sound using the relevant HP driver, but that might not be ideal for games.

Edited by Platypus, 12 April 2016 - 06:01 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for your reply. The on board sound does not work. I have a sound card

Sound Blaster Audigy 2

Model SBO350

I have searched all the sites I can find but to no avail. Hope someone can help.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:15 AM

Creative no longer support Win98, so that moves us off to third-party sources for older drivers (the model is SB0530). There's a package claimed to cover 98 here:

http://download.cnet.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-Audigy-2-Audigy-2-ZS-Driver-Windows-98SE-Me-2000-XP/3000-2120_4-10198811.html

Of course I haven't used it myself, so I can't vouch for it.

Some things to consider include whether the onboard sound needs to be set to disabled in the BIOS setup, in order to allow the Audigy to work, also if the on-board sound has failed, it is possible for it to fail in such a way that it prevents another sound card from working in the system.

If other sound drivers have been tried unsuccessfully, it might be necessary to boot into Safe Mode and in Device Manager, remove any old or failed sound drivers that appear, before trying again. If you haven't used Safe Mode in Win98 before, normally it's accessed by holding the Ctrl key down during boot.

Edited by Platypus, 19 April 2016 - 09:18 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. I had already tried that driver. It reported not for this O/S so it seems it's not for Win98.Seems like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall.

Just a quick one. He has a comp running Win7, is there a VM you'd recommend to run Win98 on that with sound and graphics.

Hope to hear from you soon. And thanks again.

#6 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for your reply. The on board sound does not work. I have a sound card

Sound Blaster Audigy 2

Model SBO350

I have searched all the sites I can find but to no avail. Hope someone can help.

Did you try KX Project Audio Drivers? They aren't from Creative. But some people use them:

http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/1960/

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#7 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:53 PM

Thanks I'll give it look. I may have sorted the problem but the site seems another weapon in my arsenal.

#8 Tomsonn

Tomsonn

• Banned Spammer
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:08 AM

I think your operating system is not compatible with your external sound card and PCI card. Windows 7 is the first who has a "troubleshoot compatibility" option. But Windows 98 does not has such thing.

#9 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:20 AM

I think your operating system is not compatible with your external sound card and PCI card. Windows 7 is the first who has a "troubleshoot compatibility" option. But Windows 98 does not has such thing.

Creative Audigy 2 ZS (SB0350) is definitly compatible with Windows 98SE. See here:

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=2602

I have used the same sound card on my dual boot system (Win98SE+XP) years ago. By the way it's still running on my XP system (built 2005).

Some links about installing drivers on Win98SE:

http://forums.creative.com/archive/index.php?t-44279.html

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=41181

UPDATE: Manshead, maybe you can try that drivers. They seem to be from 2004. The website is in french, however the drivers are multilingual:

http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=5672

Edited by devilus, 06 May 2016 - 02:45 AM.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users