Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning My PC & Upgrading Memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ophaq

Ophaq

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

I have been thinking of upgrading my memory as I feel it may not be sufficient as games are becoming more demanding. I have two 4GB Gskill ripjaw memory sticks (and I'm thinking they may be failing on me due to Bsods).

I was thinking of getting these Gskill Ripjaw 8gb on Newegg. I'm not really sure if these are memory sticks worth getting for my gaming PC or not. These are some things where I would like some clarification on. XD

Also, My motherboard is a Gigabyte z77x UD3H. It can support up to 32GB of memory and has 4 slots. I'm not entirely sure of its exact specifications so if anyone could tell me if the board can actually handle all of this memory I'd appreciate it.

Here's a list of my specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte z77x UD3H.
Memory: 2x 4GB Gskill Ripjaws-X 1600MHZ.
SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 SATA III.
HDD: 1TB SATA III 7200 3.5".
Wi-Fi Adapter: Gigabyte PCI-E 802.11.
GPU: Radeon HD7970 3GB PCIE.
CPU: Intel 3570k (Safe OC via mobo to 4.2Ghz)
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850TX V2.
Cooling Unit: Corsair Hydro Series H60 120MM Liquid Cooling.
Fans: I have about 3-4 or so fans in my case as well. Maybe 5, I forgot.

I was thinking of getting at least 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans as well to put onto my radiator since my fans are practically chugging every day like a washing machine (only one of the fans on the rad actually works) where my radiator is and I'm getting about 80C on my CPU during high intense games. I don't know of any better fan that's both powerful and silent so if anyone knows, just tell me what they are or if I should just stick with the Noctuas.

I'm also wondering if I should get these cans of compressed air to clean out the dust. I haven't cleaned my PC out once as I've been too lazy/busy to do so and was afraid I'd do something bad and mess something up. I have no hands on experience with cleaning PCs or installing hardware after all. I'm also planning on getting an anti static bracelet with all this stuff if I do decide to get it.

Two more questions I have is if it's okay to blow air from a can of compressed air into my PSU and if I should turn off the power switch on the PSU before cleaning or just leave it on, since the PC will be unplugged.

Thanks in advance to all who answer! :)

EDIT: I read a bit online and found that the Noctua NF-F12 was more superior than the NF-P12 in terms of using it for a radiator. Should I get two of these or one NF-P12 for the outside exhaust pushing out and a NF-F12 for the inside exhaust pushing in?

EDIT2: I made a diagram of my PC's airflow of what I think it is or at least should be. Is this the best set up for it?

D2t5uLG.png

The top most fan is a 140mm and everything else is 120mm. I only plan on replacing the ones around the radiator though. There's also a fan on the side panel in front of the GPU. From the looks of it, it's an intake fan.

Edited by Ophaq, 12 April 2016 - 03:09 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daScholar

daScholar

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:33 PM

Yeah the RAM will be just fine for it, you are paying a premium to get GSkill but I'm a Sony fanboy so I can understand that. Your mobo does support ddr3 2666 which basically has a higher clocking which is better for gaming purposes. Here's the cheapest I found on Newegg at that frequency. 

Chassis fans are generally quiet if you look for them. Whenever I'm gaming it's really the GPU fans that can start sounding like a jet engine for me, I've never looked into modding those though.

I personally use compressed air cans and I've never had any issues. I once was in the back room of a well known computer shop chain where I live and they were using an air compressor, so if you are using a can of air you should be fine. \

Hope this helps.

If you think what I've said is helpful consider visiting my site. HelpfulDesk.Org A new site I'm building to help those with computer questions.

It's a brand new site. So any support you can give (inquiries, comments, visits) are appreciated immensly

Be awesome out there ~ daScholar

#3 Ophaq

Ophaq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:08 PM

Gigabyte's website says "Support for DDR3 2800(OC)/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules." Does it really support DDR3 2666 even though it lists just 1600/1333/1066? I know it says 2800 as an OC but I'm just wondering if the memory has to be one of those three base clock rates and then be OC'd rather than just putting in a 2666. Also, thanks for the link but I might stick with the Gskill because I trust it more and more people use it... unless there's a better brand for 2666. How new is 2666? XD

Also, I updated the post about airflow in my PC when I upgrade some fans. I'm not really sure on how the intake/exhaust should go. I was thinking of putting some kind of nylon sock in front of the fans on the grate where the 2 fans are up front of the PC and near the grate where a fan is located on the side panel. I'm not sure if it's worth doing that either though.

#4 daScholar

daScholar

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:28 PM

This is the one I was looking at but I would go with the Gigabyte documentation, haha, yeah you would need to go with the 2800. Just a note about RAM you can mix frequencies but all the sticks will run at the lowest frequency stick. The level of clocking at 2666 has been around for a little while. What's relatively new is ddr4 but that involves getting a whole new mobo so obviously not gonna work for what you are doing.

Getting the better quality fan for either intake and/or exhaust is a generally a good idea. I think your setup for the fans would be good. My only note is an obvious one is to make all of your exhaust points are in an open area.

If you think what I've said is helpful consider visiting my site. HelpfulDesk.Org A new site I'm building to help those with computer questions.

It's a brand new site. So any support you can give (inquiries, comments, visits) are appreciated immensly

#5 Ophaq

Ophaq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

So it's probably better to go with 1600MHz right? Or maybe 1800? I heard there's not much of a difference between 1800 and 2666 except price.

Gskill 2x8GB 1866: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231615&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

For the fans, the NF-F12 has more static pressure I think it's called? So putting that to push air into the radiator was my idea and using an NF-P12 (which has less and is generally used as a normal fan for everything else) on the outside of the radiator to receiver air from the NF-F12 was my idea. I just was concerned whether it's more worth to use two NF-F12s instead of one of each. XD

Edited by Ophaq, 12 April 2016 - 04:10 PM.

#6 daScholar

daScholar

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

Safest thing to stick with what you know. I would stick with the 1600 as .2Ghz more isn't much of a boost. You've definitely got me thinking to look more into fans though, When I built my rig I just bought fans that had LED's in them that looked cool. All in all though if you keep the hardware temperature in the right spot, that's the end goal, eh. 

#7 Ophaq

Ophaq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:22 PM

Yeah, I guess but I've read there's a much bigger performance between 1600 and 1866 (higher than 1866 isn't much of an improvement but there's some). I dunno, I would like multiple opinions on this before I drop $60-80 on memory.

On the topic of fans, I decided to fudge it and replace all of my fans instead of just the two noctuas being my radiator fans. I was looking at these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181023 and was wondering if they're any good. I am looking for fans which are relatively silent (not sounding like my current fans which are a washing machine), and efficient at cooling. I will need about 3 120mm for intake plus a 140mm exhaust on the top. I don't really care how they look, as long as they cool things down and work like a charm with at least some silence. They also have to be at most $15.

EDIT: Gonna make a list of fans I've looked into for review by others. If anyone has recommendations, shoot. :D

120mm - I kind of like those cougar orange ones but I'm not sure which of these is best performance-wise. I was also thinking about getting some kind of pressurized front fans like the Corsair SP120 because of the wire mesh in the front of my PC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181023

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553001&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9ZH3T20570&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N82822598&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181027&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

140mm:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181028&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Edited by Ophaq, 12 April 2016 - 06:25 PM.

#8 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:12 AM

Cut off PC when cleaning, running fans will suck up dust

Also the Minimum RAM you should get is 2133mhz, 2400mhz is sweet spot and If you can afford it then by all means get 2666mhz

Higher freq ram does have benefits, especially with minimum frame rates and keeping fluidity in games

#9 Ophaq

Ophaq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:56 AM

When I clean my PC, I am planning on taking it out on my lanai so the dust doesn't spread everywhere inside. When I install the hardware, I will take it inside.  I'm not sure where to clip my alligator clip on my anti static wrist band when I do so though as I will be putting the PC on a glass table.

For memory I decided to roll with these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233278

They were the only 8GB stick compatible with my motherboard after a lot of research. 1866 is still pretty good so I'll just settle for that. I also read that Corsair is pretty decent just like Gskill which is my current brand of memory.

In the end for fans I decided to get x2 Noctua NF-F12 PWM, these for my 140mm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608044 , and 3 of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553006 for my other 120mm fans.

I plan on setting up my fans on my motherboard as such:

VPvWIab.png

Yellow highlighted areas are PWM compatibe (or most likely to be PWM compatible)

-The x2 noctua on the radiator are exhaust.
-The x2 cougar are intake up front.
-The side panel cougar is intake as well.
-The 140mm is exhaust.

All of the fans are PWM because they are all good fans regardless of being PWM or not and I might as well have them match for the other headers that are PWM compatible.

These decisions were made after posting on other tech forums and gathering opinions. It's still subject to change but I'm going to have to order the fans soon because I don't want to wait too much longer. If anyone has any input about this feel free to holler. XD

Edited by Ophaq, 14 April 2016 - 02:09 AM.

#10 Ophaq

Ophaq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:22 PM

Hello, just an update. I cleaned everything out and did as described above. All of the fans work great and my PC does too luckily! XD

So, a few questions I have about my noctua fan:
1. The Sys_fan4 header causes any fan to run at max which is 4000rpm according to hwmonitor. Is there any way to change this? I looked at SpeedFan and in my BIOS and found nothing.
2. I attached an LNA to the 140mm noctua fan (which is running at 4000rpm) and it still runs at 4000rpm. Should I just take the LNA off then? Why does it not reduce the RPM? I also attached an extension to the LNA because the fan can't reach the header without the extension.

Thanks in advance. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users