Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with Asus Router RT-N66R and Logic communication internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spiraling

spiraling

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

I am at wits end, after having the tech from the internet provider run speed tests that show the speed at the hub 50mbps up/downstream I can't seem to get my downloads after connecting the router to go higher than 10mbps.

The router is RT-N66R and the internet provider port is set at "100mbps full" from what their techs tell me. We tried "atuo" and "duplex" on their end and duplex works only on downloads where it actually gets the speed promised but upload speed starts to fall and eventually there are collisions that eventually take down the upload completely.

My laptop connected directly to internet confirms the tech's speeds, however my old router was also running at 10mbps up and 50mbps down with only 1 laptop connected to it.

Logix provides a static IP address internet connection.

I changed the cables to brand new cat6 patch cables just in case.

I also put in a 10/100 swtich in between the router WAN and the Logix port to see if it wasn't erring due to the 10/100/1000 WAN on the router not being supported, but again - same speeds.

I wonder if it might be that the WAN settings on this or previous router couldn't be forced to anything but are auto-sensing? I tired with an older router which supports duplex and got 50/50 as promised but this is an older piece of equipment that I rather not use for other reasons.

The network switch is 10/100/1000 as is the router.

Any ideas?

I am not opposed to getting yet another router to try with.

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:49 PM

Is the Logic Communications router in Bridge mode? Does it assign you the static IP address or a Private IP Address?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:29 PM

The router is 1G. What about the other hardware modem, wiring, switches, NIC's?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:29 AM

ISP modem is set to 100mpbs, switch is 10/100, as mentioned in first post. It is possible that the link on the router is negotiating to 10mbps, check the status on the setup page.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 spiraling

spiraling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:40 PM

OK, what I discovered after wrangling with this issue and trying out another brand new router (Netgear).

All modern consumer routers come with locked WAN settings to "AUTO" to auto negotiate the signal which is not always what is needed.

The network switches and router are all 10/100/1000. The router managed to connect when set in "AUTO" (actually that its only setting) and the network provider's side was set to "100 Full". With that connection there were errors, speed was 10Mbps down and 50Mbps (up) and there were data collisions.

Putting in an old RV042 router in the mix (which was a business router), I was able to set WAN to 100 "FULL" and everything worked as advertised. Got the speed up and down, no problem.

In cases like this on a fixed IP I found that you can put in a programmable network switch after the router and before the internet provider's drop, set the outgoing to 100 "FULL" on the switch (the port where the WAN is connected) or throw $$$ for a "business" router ($800 and up unless used) where you can set your WAN settings to 100 FULL.

After much wrangling from the internet provider and them sending one useless tech that said nothing is wrong by just plugging his PC to their network. No help at all...then on to tech support torubleshooting and apparently when they put it in "AUTO" mode on their end the router and WAN won't sync up at all, so the tech support guess that it might be something wrong with the wire drop.

They sent a second tech that traced the whole drop from their hub to our location and found a cable termination issue. Not sure exactly what kind, I am guessing probably one some of the 8 wires weren't all quite properly terminated. So after that the ASUS and Netgear routers both synced up without any issues and it was all good to go.

Edited by spiraling, 25 April 2016 - 05:45 PM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for posting your solution! ;)
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 spiraling

spiraling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for posting your solution! ;)

I figured someone will be in the same boat someday and there weren't many threads on this :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users