Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPNs & Remote Desktop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jefferj54

jefferj54

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

I'd like to hear from those who might use a VPN or a secured Remote Desktop in a Windows environment at their workplace. Do you set up either a VPN or Remote Desktop through Windows, does your workplace use third party softwares or do they use VPN providers?

My reason for asking, is that I personally find it to a huge headache in setting up remote protocols. What do you think?

Thanks,

joe.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

We have them logon to the sonicwall vpn and then connect to Citrix/authenticate to the domain.

Pretty simple really.

#3 jefferj54

jefferj54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:53 AM

Thank you for replying, Wand. I have one more question to ask. In relation to Sonicwall VPN, is this their SSL website that you are logging into, or another of their websites you are logging into. I'm trying to find out if this is primarily or solely cloud-based. Thanks again, joe.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:09 PM

Not cloud based.  Firewall router using a vpn client loaded on the mobile device to connect via vpn to the firewall router.

This is also the same with all other router based vpns like cisco, delink, netgear, etc

user gets on the internet then runs the sonicwall vpn client.  Once connected they logon to Citrix which gives them all of their file and program access.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 12 April 2016 - 12:11 PM.

#5 jefferj54

jefferj54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

ok, LOL. So this Sonicwall VPN is operated from their Internet website? joe.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:01 PM

"So this Sonicwall VPN is operated from their Internet website?"

No.  Why would you think that after my explanation?

#7 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:12 PM

Hello jefferj54

I work in a Managed Service IT company and we service clients who have various set ups. Some have the Sonicwall set up that is mentioned, others use RRAS installed on their servers and some have secure software (usually Cisco software) that will be used to initiate the tunnel. They all have their perks and downfalls, RRAS for example authenticates using LDAP therefore the end users use the same Username/Password to authenticate the VPN but for obvious reason is less secure. 

What do you find gives you such a headache setting up VPN's?

Kind regards,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#8 jefferj54

jefferj54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:26 AM

Thank you, Darktune. I'd like to know more about Sonicwall. It appears that Sonicwall sells hardware firewalls. Is this correct? Do you need one of their hardware firewalls to set up a Sonicwall VPN? If so or not, how does one setup the vpn on both the server and client side? I saw a demonstration of "Live Demo" but could get nothing to work. Do I have to pay Sonicwall to actually setup the vpn? Thanks, joe.

#9 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

As far as I'm aware you would need a Dell Sonicwall in order for you to be able to use the VPN feature. The reason behind this is because the software will connect to hardware to initiate the VPN tunnel. Sonicwall is the brand of the firewall and they are manufactured by Dell. They wouldn't set up the VPN it would be up to you to do this, please be aware that with Sonicwalls you may have to purchase licensing for the VPN.

Kind regards,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:34 AM

When you buy sonicwall hardware you get free support for it and its configuration.  Talk to a Dell online network sales rep to gain a fuller understanding of what hardware, licensing and subscriptions you need

#11 jefferj54

jefferj54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:45 PM

Thank you all for the info you have given to me. Sincerely, joe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users