Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big summer update coming so what was mine 4 days ago?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:04 AM

I had a massive Win 10 update about 4 days ago which took several hours - don't know actual time as after 3 hours had to go to bed and continue in the morning for an hour or two more. It changed my keyboard functions a little and maybe more which I haven't noticed yet.

So I was prepared for this update on my other two Win 10 computers when switched on later but they say updates are up to date!  So what happened? Any ideas please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:51 AM

If you're an Insider, there was a build update a couple of days ago.

Beyond that, TH2 (1511) was build 10586 and was the "Fall Update" - but that was released in November of 2015

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:08 AM

Those are very good ideas usasma, but even a big update like the TH2 Fall Update doesn't take hours. I have very slow internet service because I live in the country, my max speed is approx. 5 mbps. At that speed even downloading and installing a complete new ISO image only takes about 1 hour tops.

To be truthful, since there has been no large updates since November, I can't really explain what happened to you zzzz, you might want to look at your update history. I am a preview tester and we did get a new preview build last week but that only took about 45 minutes to download and install. Also, check all of your settings and see how you have your system set up to receive updates and restart your system.

Something just doesn't seem right, which I told you in the other thread that you started about this.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

As usual Rocky, you're very good at telling me what I'm wrong at.  Yet you don't offer any concrete solutions/suggestions - just negative responses.

As such, I'm placing you in my Ignored Users folder.

FWIW - there have been large updates since November.  While they may not be large to you, they may be large to others.

There was (within the last 5 days) a cumulative update that was 600+ mb in size (if one hadn't downloaded any previous updates)

KB 3140745 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3140745

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

I see what you are saying, but even a very large update should not effect anything that the user does on his computer. When a large update comes into a properly functioning Windows 10 machine, the update is completely done in the background thus allowing the user to continue to use his system to work and/or play. For example, a person can still edit video and or record music and or perform his usual tasks such as perform CAD tasks that are ongoing, and the Windows 10 update just "happens" in the background. That is why I think that you might have an issue with that computer. If I were you zzzz, I would;

1. Check the update history.

2. Go to updates and go to update settings and see how you have your system set-up to receive updates.

3. Run a malware scan on your system.

With those steps you should be getting in the right direction of discovering what kind of issues your system may be experiencing. Good luck.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:56 PM

Thank you for all your responses. (I'm on another Win 7 computer now).

That update was the 1511 10586. If that was in Nov 2015 then I should check if my other two Win 10 machines have it - I'll check. The keyboard glitch I have now fixed thru 'language etc.- English keyboard.

The lengthy update time is probably due to the 2008 netbook 1.6 Ghz  Intel Atom N270, 2GB Ram etc. so not so super capable. It was an XP machine which I updated to 7 and now 10 being very surprised that it worked!

I'll get to the advice given (KB 3140745 check and 1-3 steps etc.) when I'm on the other machines.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:02 PM

zzzz, sounds like you definitely have it figured out. The 1511 10586 was the November update, no telling why you got it so late. Also, good call on why it might take so long for the updates to actually install, with a 1.6 ghz processor it could take some time.

Yes, when you get a chance check the update history on all of your machines that way you won't be surprised the next time you get a big update.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:15 PM

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that there is a big update today (HUGE UPDATE). It is

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 KB3147458

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:25 PM

As updates are important I always have difficulty in finding getting to 'Check for updates'. I thought MS would have a big link staring one in the face all the time. I have to enter 'Windows update' in the Start search box every time - there's a better way?* However Win 10 is supposed to auto update if you like it or not so they think a link/button is not necessary?

Any way searching this time (on my netbook) I get no check for updates but 'Currently installed updates' which turn out to be two!  Why doesn't this give all my past updates or does it only give the last ones?

They are:-  Update for Windows  KB3142588  (which is for 'Fixes some compatibility issues when you upgrade to and recover Windows 10 Version 1511'.)

Security update                        KB3140768   (which is for 'Describes the March 8, 2016, cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4'.

These were done on 8th April when notified so that took a month - does MS schedule these around the world I wonder?

So as these were a success it's good (other people I see from a search had trouble) but are they telling me anything extra? Even my slow system shouldn't take hours to install, yes? 

*In Search I put 'update settings' and lo I get 'Check for updates' and the Settings just shows 'Automatic' (no other choice it seems) and also 'Update history' which doesn't show the above at all but ONLY the UK language pack 07/04/2016

AND that  KB3147458  90% down loading! without any warning at all.

Well after all that I suppose I'm OK - I'll do the malware scan later - don't want to upset the current download/install.

#10 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:47 PM

ZZZZ, if you're talking about W10 re: difficulty finding "Check for Updates" Click the start button, open Settings > Update and Security > click Check for Updates button. I pinned it (the setting icon) to the task bar. There is no other option besides "notify to schedule restart" I have W10 Pro on a couple laptops and it has a "defer" choice, but MS will not wait too long before they update anyway.

When I first read your post my first thought was the Nov. update, it never would install for me via windows update. I had to download/update to 1511 with the MCT https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 I was stubborn and waited until near Jan 1 before I did it that way. It's always been my opinion that if MS is going to use WU to push new versions of their OS it should work every time.

Sounds like in your case something triggered it to install 4 months late, at least it did install, I wonder how many users are unknowingly still running the initial RTM version because WU didn't work as advertised, and they don't know how to check what version they're running, much less do a manual upgrade. MS forgets that not everybody knows, or even cares about anything except using their computer, sort of like a car, you put gas in it and it works.

Edited by CmmTch, 13 April 2016 - 08:49 PM.

Steve

#11 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for that - it seems I've been lucky with that update even if very late. 

Somewhat off topic but why is there no MS explanation for those constant failed 'important'updates (in Win 7) which give error codes and the comment, 'Get help with this error' which leads to a list of other codes but not the ones causing the problem. 

Edited by zzzz, 14 April 2016 - 08:03 AM.

#12 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

Now I have googled those error codes and am getting some info from MS and MS Community - should have done that before!

#13 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

I got a bunch of updates last night too.  There were some 48 for Office 2007, and Windows 10 Home was upgraded to 10586.218.  I was already on 10586.something, but the .218 part is new.  With the Home version there's no question about when you update because they are applied when MS makes them ready.  You know, Uncle Bill knows best!   :whistle:    I haven't checked my two test systems which have Insider versions, but there definitely were a plethora of Windows updates for the Home version and Office 2007 last night.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#14 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

You can choose when to update Win 10, only on using WiFi,  by tweaking the Wifi metered use - see:-

http://www.howtogeek.com/249254/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-so-much-data/

This part is also interesting but the next tip is about controlling Win 10 updates.

I've just found this so haven't tried it yet.

#15 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

I know a lot of folks complain about update problems, but I've always installed them as soon as they come out (since the early Windows 98 days), and never had much of a problem, so I just let 'em go on when MS wants to put 'em on (knock, knock!).  I do make regular full system backups to an external hard because we know how Murphy loves computers.  :mellow:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users