Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

X-Help to set up router please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Yony

Yony

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:57 AM

I am a Sky subscriber & use an issued D-Link router! I do think sometimes is compromised by neighbours??? & Avast keeps telling me I have a weak password on my system? is this easy to alter from De-Fault setting? please in simple as you can please! Thank you very much- Yony

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 April 2016 - 10:31 AM.
moved from Windows 10 to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yony

Yony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:59 AM

Hello! I am sorry if I have done wrong?? I do struggle!  I am trying to find networking! where I guess you have sent me! & so annoyed with me cos I? probably messaged on wrong section! just need some help please! ? no such headline? how do I  find? I have contributed before to this for help received! just because I am not a star on here I beg for help please & I am not clever & all way above me?but I do trust you guys & girls' that want to help me!  Honest plea for help please! why are some of you so so cant be bothered with plebs like me! just I know some Guy's & Girls out there that want to help Idiots like me! YOU HAVE BEFORE' JUST I TRUST YOUR SITE RATHER THAN S'MAT I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF?? ! !  Just I read EDITED??? whats that mean please! You have helped me simply before! I just want a decent & simple method PLEASE to alter my SKY DE-LINK  Router which is I guess set at default?& to give it my control only! I often get things that I never' reconise, it maybe! innocent from next door? I just want please?? Sorry asking for a way please to make my SKY' D LINK thing a bit unique to me please! I REALLY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO IT? sorry! I dont read others that have to grovel! SO ALL I AM AFTER PLEASE IS TO CHANGE OR CREATE A PASSWORD OR NUMBER?? REALLY DO NOT KNOW?? SO MY ROUTER IS SAFE PLEASE! You know? some of us idiots are really into B.C. & try & follow? But I guess its got so so popular you cant deal with plebs like me! Not Angry! just a bit worried where I may go next for genuine help & where it may not annoy experts! DUNNO! Iam not having a go at anyone! just everyone way ahead of this old bloke! 

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:21 AM

Part of the reason you're not getting much response is that it isn't clear what your actual issue is.

It sounds like you believe your neighbors are using your wireless network and Avast is giving you some message about a weak password.  It is unclear if these are related.

I don't have any experience with Sky and do not know how much you can change on the D-Link router.  Provided you can log into the router as an administrator you can make the changes to your network.

So, can you log into the router as an administrator?

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:14 AM

I agree with Kilroy.  If you could give us pertinent and relevant information about the issue rather than accuse us with "...cant deal with plebs..." we may get somewhere.  You write 2 lines in your first post when you are suppose to be giving us information to work on, then you write 12 lines subsequently to berate us.  Does that make sense?

#5 Yony

Yony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:40 PM

I apologise for how my last sounded, not making excuses I do have some issues & medication helps! Sorry! I had tried to read about changing the password on a router & that would stop my router being available for anyones use? I am not very good on a PC & do not understand the terminology I should use & I just was a bit concerned  that if I was logged  into my bank account or similar that a third party could see my personal account etc? as most routers are set from the factory with a default code & I just wanted to put my own password on mine. I feel I am making a mess on here but if someone understands what I am trying to do help please! & thank you very much Kilroy & Agouti  I totally agree with your concerns & quite embarrassed now! Sorry! 

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

Well you could start by providing some more information.  What model D-link router do you have?  Have you tried to search for the user manual?  The manual will have instructions on how to set up your SSID (i.e. name of your network), password and encryption.  You can learn a lot if you take the time to read the manual.

#7 Yony

Yony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:36 AM

Agouti:

Thanks for that I will do some reading up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users