Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarts randomly while gaming

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chresman

Chresman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:29 AM

Hey guys, I posted this issue in a different thread and it was suggested that i repost it here.

This is a link to my original post 
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610316/computer-randomly-restarts-while-playing-games/#entry3977700

I've been having some problems with my PC restarting whilst running games. This is not just high demand games, but some low demanding ones too (eg. lego harry potter, League of Legends). It simply just powers off and starts back up instantly without reason or warning.

I read through a few similar threads and noticed that the PSU was a recurring problem for others with similar problems, so I upgraded from a Corsair VS 550 to a Corsair RM 650, but the problem was still occuring.
I then figured it must be the CPU or the mobo, so i upgraded my mobo from an ASRock H81 PRO BTC to and ASRock B85M Pro3, but still no fix.
I ran memtest86 to check my ram through 12 passes over 14 hours and there was no errors found.
I have disconnected the reset switch from my case to the mobo and tried a number of other things like updating drivers. The issue still persists when i remove my GPU, and I have monitored my CPU temperatures during gameplay and they rarely exceed 45 degrees Celsius. I have tried running from different powerpoints and on different powerboards to see if that was the issue. I have done a total reinstall of windows, only installing the necessary drivers and downloading 1 game (Fallout 4). I have tested with 1 stick of RAM removed at a time. I have stress tested the CPU with Prime95, and it handled the tests fine. None of these things have been conclusive and I'm not sure what step to take next. 

I have since also attempted a few things to fix it based on the advice of another user from the Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support section. These are all listed in the comments section of my original post 
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610316/computer-randomly-restarts-while-playing-games/#entry3977700
This is a quick summary:
  • Looking for patterns in the administrative events log in Event Viewer
  • Updated BIOS
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled all hardware drivers
  • Performed a total wipe and reinstall of Windows 8.1, then upgrade to Windows 10
  • DISM/SFC Scan and restore

Build Specs
CPU - Intel i5 4690
GPU - EVGA GTX970 ACX 2.0
Mobo - ASRock B85M Pro 3
PSU - Corsair RM 650
RAM - Patriot DDR3 1600 2x4GB
OS - Windows 8.1
HDD - 1TB Seagate 3.5" Barracuda 7200rpm
SSD - Samsung 120GB 840BW EVO
Case - Coolermaster RC-K282 mid tower

Thanks in advance,
Chresman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daScholar

daScholar

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:25 PM

Hey there,

So I've not had this issue specifically but I have had it where my computer "recovered" from a power bump and would restart. Maybe your computer could be experiencing the same type of thing where for a moment the power cuts out because there isn't a strong supply.

Since you have done a clean install of windows it's very unlikely to be software related and since you have a new mobo and PSU my thinking is that it's not related to any mobo peripherals.

Some ideas to throw out there. They are rather simplistic but you never know.

Are you on a UPS? If so, that could cause issues (ie the battery is old). Alternatively if your desktop is on a power strip maybe switch it to a wall outlet directly

Swapping out the power cable the plugs into your PSU.

Another slightly crazy possibility is some wiring in your tower has gone bad. 

If you think what I've said is helpful consider visiting my site. HelpfulDesk.Org A new site I'm building to help those with computer questions.

It's a brand new site. So any support you can give (inquiries, comments, visits) are appreciated immensly

Be awesome out there ~ daScholar

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

what are your system temps? and do you reach behind and feel the exhaust on the PSU when gaming? It maybe your PSU is overheating and/or shorting out, causing the shutdowns, which depending on your case configuration, may not affect your CPU/GPU temps

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users