Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Computer Freezes Up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 docholiday07

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:18 AM

Hey there folks, this is my first time posting so please let me know if I miss anything first time around!

So I have been going crazy trying to figure out what is going on with my computer.  It freezes up, seemingly randomly at times, but very specifically when I run a video game called Blade&Soul (this happens reliably, every time during a specific event, and just generally while the game is running).  It freezes randomly over night, as well as while streaming video, playing other games, or occasionally when I'm not doing anything.  Sometimes the speakers buzz, sometimes i get this weird squeeking sequence of beeps that go up in pitch, other times no sound at all.  generally very confusing.

Unfortunately I am not getting any minidumps to check, as my computer is just freezing up, and has to be hard reset in order to turn it off.  Event log from my inspection does not seem relevant other than the "windows did not expect this shutdown" critical error.  Have not had any hard drive corruptions or anything like that.  No graphical bugs while playing games.  I just don't get it.

Rig: Alienware Aurora R3 

CPU:Intel Core i5-2300 @ 2.8ghz

GPUs: 2x Geforce 545 (sli)

please let me know whatever else relevant information might be needed!

I have taken these steps so far to troubleshoot it myself:

1) Memtest with 0 errors twice overnight.

2) Replaced my video card with a friends video card that works 100% for sure, and tried running each of my video cards individually.

3) Dusted/cleaned inside of my computer, redid thermal paste, which brought temps down while under load to ~58C.

4) Uninstalled and driver sweeped video drivers and did fresh reinstall.

5) Run malwarebytes to check for malicious software.

6) Made sure BIOS was up to date.

7) Run Furmark to max temps on graphics cards

8) Run CPU burn test to max temps via furmark (have yet to try prime95, but would this change anything?)

9) Checked voltages with programs like speccy/hwinfo64 (they seem to be crazy far off, to the point where the computer wouldnt run if it were accurate).  The problem I am having is my BIOS doesn't have a way to look at the voltages (thanks alienware).  Haven't used a multimeter yet though.

just because of the voltage readouts it makes me suspect that my psu is wonky, but if the actual outputs were this off, would my computer even be able to turn on?

Edited by docholiday07, 12 April 2016 - 03:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:43 AM

I'd ask the hardware experts about the PSU - but 16+ volts seems awfully high.

The experts hang out here:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

Another option would be to try another PSU - if you don't have one to try, see if you can purchase one from a shop that will let your return it (for your money back) if it's not needed.

Haw many passes did you run MemTest for?

What max temps did you see on the Video and CPU tests?

When running the tests, you should run them until the temperature stabilizes at a given level - then determine if that level is too hot with the current cooling solution.

And, obviously, if the Video/CPU gets too hot - shut it down immediately and investigate the cooling solution

Finally, the next time it freezes, reboot and run these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users