Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird temp files/folders/items

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 f-ingComputer

f-ingComputer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:45 PM

I have a lot of RAM so use MSI's RAMDisk built into the Command Centre software

I went to clean the temp files which I do every now and then

Opened the temp folder, CTRL+A - Del

Nothing. No prompts, just nothing

I tried doing one by one and again, nothing

I've tried LockHunter and Start Unlocker

I then tried both at startup

Start Unlocker gave me a BSoD (Err_Bad_Config_File I believe) and LockHunter booted into Windows and said it couldn't be deleted

Here is my temp folder

g406yK0.png

One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is "█íßä°ıÜÂ.#xz"

It's 3.9GB but the RAMDisk size is only 2.97GB?

Anyone have any ideas on how to delete those files? They seem "suspicious" but I doubt they're anything

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:23 AM

Have you disabled the RAM disk software?  You likely won't be able to delete anything if the RAM disk is still loaded.

In short, the files in the RAM disk are held in RAM - so when you shut the RAM disk program down - the files should go away.

As for being suspicious; I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 f-ingComputer

f-ingComputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:43 PM

Hello, thanks for your reply

I'm able to delete other files (ShadowPlay temp files etc) just not those weirdly named ones

I also tried LockHunter's "remove at boot" function which couldn't do anything either which would've been before the RAMDisk was loaded

I'll disable RAMDisk and try but the folder seems "corrupted" (?)

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:42 AM

The way to delete temp files is to right-click C:, click Properties, then click Disk Cleanup.  This cleans out the ones in the C:\Windows\temp folder plus others (e.g. in your Appdata folder) as well.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:33 AM

The date on that one file is 2021. That's strange.. Also one from 1980.

#6 f-ingComputer

f-ingComputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:03 PM

The way to delete temp files is to right-click C:, click Properties, then click Disk Cleanup.  This cleans out the ones in the C:\Windows\temp folder plus others (e.g. in your Appdata folder) as well.

Good luck.

My temp files are on the RAMDisk

In my OP, the screenshot shows R;\ (RAMDISK) \ TEMP

I tried that anyway and it didn't work

I also tried Lockhunter and Start Unlocker which deletes the files before loaded by Windows which theoretically should be able to nuke any file on any drive on any PC. Both of them failed

The date on that one file is 2021. That's strange.. Also one from 1980.

Yeah, i've got no idea :/

Issue "fixed" I guess

I disabled RAMDisk and deleted the backup .img

Re-enabled and those files went

Weird. But anywho, solved?

#7 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:30 AM

They resemble errors in file structure. Could you issue a chkdsk to the ram disk?

#8 f-ingComputer

f-ingComputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:20 AM

Issue "fixed" I guess

I disabled RAMDisk and deleted the backup .img

Re-enabled and those files went

Weird. But anywho, solved?

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:51 PM

Maybe solved, maybe not.

Are you courageous enough to use the RAM disk again and see what happens?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 f-ingComputer

f-ingComputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:10 PM

aHLqtdq.png

Yes ;)

I've got LOTS of RAM and it's doing nothing

Why not get some use out of it and save my SSD a few years without the temp file writes and ShadowPlay constantly writing

Edited by f-ingComputer, 15 April 2016 - 07:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users