Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Dimensional" Themes for Win10 - Are there any?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:05 PM

One of the things I least like about Windows 10 is the new "flat look" graphical user interface. From the first day I used Windows 10 I felt like this look was a huge step backwards, but Microsoft isn't the only company that is on the "flat look" track.

One of the things I do for a living is tutoring blind or visually-impaired individuals on how to access their computers with software such as magnifier-readers or screen readers depending on what their vision is actually like.  I now have a new client who has lost 3/4 of his visual field in each eye.  The residual vision he has remaining is actually quite good, but he still has no depth perception to speak of, so "flat look" makes things far more complicated as far as using his residual vision as effectively as I'd like him to be able to.

Does anyone know of a theme that will work under Windows 10, even if it's a Windows 8.1 theme, that brings back the more 3D-ish characteristics of the Windows 7 environment?  I thought this would be a good place to ask first before trying to pore over "what's out there" to find one, as all I've encountered have gone with the "flat look."  I might even switch over to one of those myself if they actually exist.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

Are you referring to Aero Glass?  If so, have a look here: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-aero-glass-transparency-with-blur-in-windows-10/

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:37 PM

Agouti,

Thanks very much, and that's a very interesting link, but it's not what I'm referring to.

In Windows 7 and earlier buttons looked more like raised buttons visually and the window frame (or dialog box frame) was clearly there and was made to imitate a 3D frame.  All you have to do is to look at any Windows 7 theme supplied by Microsoft, and most others, too, and you can see just how "not flat" they were intentionally made.  Even buttons on web browser bars, etc., had clear and defined edges and were made to look like actual push buttons.  Now it looks like a 2D icon with a completely transparent background dropped on to whatever color frame the browser frame has.  I also miss "icons and text," but that's a secondary consideration.

I am really hoping that eventually there will be either Microsoft Windows 10 themes or that those who develop themes will "go retro" and give us something that's not "flat look."

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:39 AM

How about Classic Shell?  I have never used it but maybe you could give it a try?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:23 AM

Agouti,

Thanks again, but no, Classic Shell isn't it, either.  I am not seeking either "to make Windows 10 behave like Windows 7" which is a large part of what Classic shell is about nor to have the look and feel elements apply only to the limited range of the Classic Shell components.

Windows Themes are, to me, very much akin to what skins are.  I just want a look that has a great deal more visual relief but without resorting to the high contrast themes because they're real overkill in this case.  I guess it's just too early in the game for anyone to have done this work for Windows 10 as far as themes go.  I'll keep on keeping my eye out, though.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:38 PM

Sorry, I am out of ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users