Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC continuous reboot after adding RAM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bhh001

bhh001

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:36 PM

Hi,

I just bought some RAM to add into my computer to go from 8 to 16gb and my PC basically starts up a few seconds and shuts down. It does this continuously until I switch it off. It does not even reach POST. I'm thinking it's a PSU problem, as it isn't a very good PSU. The PC boots up with 2 sticks of either old or new RAM (tried both), but not with 3-4. Anyways, here's some specs:

Motherboard: GA-Z77-D3H with latest BIOS.

CPU: i5-3570k with Coolermaster cooler.

GPU: GTX 670

RAM: G.SKILL Areas F3-1600C9D-8GAB. Have 2x4GB and was adding 2x4GB.

PSU: Rosewill RG630-S12 630 Watt

1 SSD and 2 HDD

Blu-ray drive

Edited by bhh001, 11 April 2016 - 04:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:47 PM

You're likely running a mix mismatch issue. Are the old memory specs the same as the new? Be sure to put old in both white slots and new memory in blue. If the old memory is 1333 and the new is 1600 then you will have to go into the bios and manually set all the memory to 1333 and matching timing 9-9-9-24. Another issue is that the motherboard does not support G-skill brands in 4x4 configurations. You have to download or look up the memory support list. I am downloading it now to look.

#3 bhh001

bhh001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:51 PM

You're likely running a mix mismatch issue. Are the old memory specs the same as the new? Be sure to put old in both white slots and new memory in blue. If the old memory is 1333 and the new is 1600 then you will have to go into the bios and manually set all the memory to 1333 and matching timing 9-9-9-24. Another issue is that the motherboard does not support G-skill brands in 4x4 configurations. You have to download or look up the memory support list. I am downloading it now to look.

Both the new and old RAM are both the exact same model - F3-1600C9D-8GAB. Both have the same clock and timing. Although I was trying to put the new RAM in the white slots as those were free. But since they're the same model, it shouldn't matter, right?

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:14 PM

Ok just making sure that you wasn't mixing them. You generally want to keep the pairs together. Have you tried lowering the timings to 1333 or 1066? Be sure to check that all your memory is Double Sided (chips on both sides)

Here is the memory that the motherboard factory tested that works 4x4. The "V" Just means the dimm slots all populated 1-4 in dual channel mode. Not sure if yours will work together as they was bought at different times etc. Even though they are the same numbers etc they technically are not the same. Just not manufactured at the same time. Typically you want to go by the data sheet of the motherboard and buy kits of 4 memory. This assures you that they are as identical to each other as possible. The only thing you can try to do is mess with the speeds and run them at 1333, or 1066. You could try pulling the memory and place them back in. It's possible that one of the dimm slots on the motherboard is damaged or filthy with dust and not making good contact.

1600 (Double Sided)

G.SKILL 4GB F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL DS v v v v
G.SKILL 4GB F3-12800CL7Q-16GBXH DS v v v v
G.SKILL 4GB F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL DS v v v v
G.SKILL 4GB F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL DS v v v v

1333 (Double Sided)

G.SKILL 4GB F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL DS v v v v
G.SKILL 4GB F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH DS v v v v

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:19 PM

Oh and by the way if you are overclocking the cpu then that will cause issues. Reset the bios to factory default and try again adjusting the memory timings etc.

#6 bhh001

bhh001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:04 PM

Oh and by the way if you are overclocking the cpu then that will cause issues. Reset the bios to factory default and try again adjusting the memory timings etc.

You have got to be kidding me. So I did like you said and switched the new to blue and old to white slots and it's working now...

Not sure why this fixed it, but thanks for the help!

Edited by bhh001, 11 April 2016 - 06:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users