Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

shift key acting strange seems to enable itself

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trinitydigital

trinitydigital

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

started this morning. Seems shift key is sporadically enabling itself. Changed keyboardS> happening now> shift, CAPS LOCK, ACTING WIERD>.

stickey kEYS DISABLED> WOW< this is bizArre>Please help if yOU Can>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:32 PM

If you changed keyboards it probably is not the keyboard !

Go into 'Device manager' - 'Start - Computer - Manage - Device manager' and see if there are any yellow or red marks against the entry for keyboards. whether there are or not, expand the entry until you see the keyboard - whatever yours is called - then double click on it. Uninstall the drivers, you may have to click on 'Advanced' to do this, then re-boot the computer. Since your mouse will still be working this should be easy enough. When the computer re-boots it will re-install the keyboard drivers.

If this doesn't solve the problem, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 trinitydigital

trinitydigital
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:20 PM

I followed your direction. No change. I Don't HAVE a reStorE PoInT. There it goes again.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:33 PM

Have you tried a different USB port, and can you give us the make and model of this computer ?

I am surprised that you have no restore points, there's usually at least one and often several more. If you go into control panel / restore can you create a restore point ?

Chris Cosgrove

#5 trinitydigital

trinitydigital
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:30 AM

I have tried a different port.

Supermicro X7DWA-N / 92) Xeon Quad core 5410 processors / Radeon 7700HD / 4 CRUCIAL PC2 6400 4GB Ram / OCZ REVO350 / 4 other SATA storage drives.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:32 PM

I would like you to do two things for me. The first is to run 'SFC /scannow', a Windows tool for fixing possibly corrupted files. If you haven't done this before, click 'Start' and type 'cmd' into the search box. This should produce a hit for 'command.exe' at the top of the list. RIGHT click on this and select 'Run as administrator'. This will open a black window with white text, type 'sfc /scannow' at the prompt (wihout the ' ', and note the space before the '/') and press 'Enter'. It will start running and it may take up to an hour. Just let it run. When it has finished, re-boot and try your keyboard again. If it is now working normally there is no need to proceed with the next step.

Second, download and run MiniToolBox, a free download from BC which you can get here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

This is an .EXE file, it doesn't install just runs when you click on it so you can just delete it if you wish when you are finished with it. Download it and save it to your desktop or any where convenient, then run it. When it runs you will see a grey box with a number of buttons on it. Please tick the following :-

Last 10 event viewer errors;

List installed programs;

Only problems;

List users, partitions and memory size;

List restore points.

When it is finished, which will only take a minute or two, it will produce a text file as a report. Please open this and copy/paste all the text into your next post.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

- I also think there's a clash between two or more programs who want to use the SHIFT key and have their own separate thoughts on how to use that key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users