Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot from USB recovery drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_7

Mike_7

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:27 PM

The computer is a Dell XPS 8900 with Windows 10. A few days ago I asked about this in the Dell community forums, but so far nobody has replied. So I thought I'd ask about this here.

I have a recovery USB flash drive that I got from Dell:

dell%20USB%203_zpssshaolot.jpg

I've been trying to boot from this USB drive but have been unable to. I don't have a problem with my computer, I just want to make sure the USB drive works and I'll be able to boot from it if I ever do need to.

With the USB drive plugged into the computer I turn the computer on and go into the BIOS. "Boot Sequence" shows "Windows Boot Manager" and "UEFI: TOSHIBA MSFT NORB PMAP":

dell%20USB%207_zpsx9bwiwbw.jpg

The Toshiba listing must be the flash drive since when I go into the BIOS without the drive plugged in, it's not listed:

dell%20USB%206_zpskgtwbmww.jpg

I can change the boot sequence so that the drive boots first, or I can uncheck "Windows Boot Manager" so that only the drive shows. I've tried this both ways, with the same results. I get a black and white screen

with the Dell logo, then a couple screens where I choose my language and keyboard layout. I then get a screen where I have a few choices. Exit and continue to Windows, shut off the computer, troubleshoot, or

"Use a device - Use a USB drive, network connection, or Windows recovery DVD":

dell%20USB%205_zps2mzkvqgi.jpg

I choose "Use a device" and the next screen shows "Use a device" and listed there (the only thing listed) is "UEFI: TOSHIBA MSFT NORB PMAP":

dell%20USB%204_zpst99bword.jpg

I click on this. I get a blank screen, the Dell logo, and then the same language, keyboard and choose device screens that I got before. I choose "UEFI: TOSHIBA MSFT NORB PMAP".

I then get the Dell logo and the choose language, keyboard, device... The computer won't boot from the USB drive, I keep getting the same screens over and over. Am I doing something wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:18 PM

I think you are supposed to click Troubleshoot, not use a device, and from the Troubleshoot section select Recover from a drive. Is that option listed? I would not select Recover from a drive as that could reset your computer.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297920

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:18 PM

Hello, Mike

The reason for the USB device not booting is because of the Secure Boot settings is enabled. You have to disable it and enable legacy boot. Here is a link to instructions to do that.

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/ensure-you-have-the-correct-sata-configuration-in-the-bios-setup-for-your-configuration/uefisecure-boot-disable/

#4 Mike_7

Mike_7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

Hello, Mike

The reason for the USB device not booting is because of the Secure Boot settings is enabled. You have to disable it and enable legacy boot. Here is a link to instructions to do that.

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/ensure-you-have-the-correct-sata-configuration-in-the-bios-setup-for-your-configuration/uefisecure-boot-disable/

From what I understand, the Dell recovery USB drive is configured to be bootable even though Secure Boot is enabled. That is why it shows up as "UEFI: TOSHIBA...". I tried booting from it in legacy mode to see what would happen and got "No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine".

#5 Mike_7

Mike_7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:48 PM

I think you are supposed to click Troubleshoot, not use a device, and from the Troubleshoot section select Recover from a drive. Is that option listed? I would not select Recover from a drive as that could reset your computer.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297920

I think you are right (I should have read that Dell article). When I click on Troubleshoot I get this:

dell%20USB%208_zpssig4cqjd.jpg

I didn't click on "Recover from a drive" because I wasn't sure if it would immediately start removing everything and reinstalling Windows or if I'd get a choice to cancel. I'd probably be able to cancel, but didn't want to take the chance. So if this is what you do to reinstall Windows from the recovery drive attached to the computer, what is "Use a device - Use a USB drive, network connection, or Windows recovery DVD" for?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:18 PM

That is the option you want - Recover From Drive. 

#7 Mike_7

Mike_7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:50 PM

But what is that other option ("Use a device...") for?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:27 PM

I am not sure but I believe that is for booting a DVD or USB that is not detected as a Recovery Drive. Do you have a bootable DVD available? You can test it with a spare USB flash drive and an iso of FatDog64 which can boot UEFI with SecureBoot enabled. 

A bootable USB flash drive can be created with Rufus. Run Rufus. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is listed in the dropdown box select iso image. Click the icon and browse to the FatDog iso file. Press Start. If anything is on the flash drive then back it up.

Fatdog64-702.iso

#9 Mike_7

Mike_7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

I have a bootable Knoppix live CD. I'd never tried booting from it on this computer, but it worked on an old computer I had. I just tried booting from it on this computer. It didn't show up in the BIOS like the Dell USB did (the only thing that showed was "Windows Boot Manager"), so in the BIOS I switched boot list option to Legacy. Exited and it started booting from the CD. The Knoppix screen appeared with a picture of the Linux penguin. Then I got "Not syncing: no init found", and it didn't go further than that. I would think that means something's wrong with the CD, but it worked fine in my old computer.

I downloaded Rufus and Fatdog, and made a bootable flash drive. I thought that with the flash drive plugged in, when I went into the BIOS, under "Boot Sequence" there'd be two listings. The flash drive and Windows Boot Manager, like when the Dell recovery drive is plugged in. But there was only Windows Boot Manager. I thought maybe I had to enable "Legacy Boot" to boot from the drive, so I did. I then unchecked everything under "Boot Sequence" except for "USB Storage Device" and exited. But I wasn't able to boot from the flash drive, instead I got a message "No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine".

So, I don't know what the problem is. I couldn't boot from the Knoppix live CD or the Fatdog USB.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:22 PM

Not sure why Fatdog didn't boot. That usually has no problem on a UEFI computer. When tapping F12 at boot do you see the attached Fatdog USB flash drive?

#11 Mike_7

Mike_7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:51 PM

No. What I see is the following:

Boot mode is set to: UEFI  Secure Boot: ON

UEFI BOOT:

Windows Boot Manager

OTHER OPTIONS:

Bios Setup

Device Configuration

Bios Flash Update

Diagnostics

Change Boot Mode Settings

I'm presuming that the USB drive with Fatdog on it should be listed under UEFI BOOT along with Windows Boot Manager?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:53 PM

That is correct. It should be listed under Boot Manager. Not sure why though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users