Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable Linux disk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas Jack

Dallas Jack

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:34 PM

I would like to make a bootable CD or DVD disk using the Fatdog64 ISO. (thanks JohnC_21 for your help in getting the ISO) I have the ISO file but do not know what tool to use to write a bootable version of it to a disk.

I do not need this but would like to try Linux. Also I'm not set on using Fatdog64 it was just the one I ran across while reading another thread. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Dallas Jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

If you have Windows 7 you can burn ISOs to disc natively.  Follow this article: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-from-an-ISO-file.  The procedure is similar in Windows 8/8.1 and 10.  XP and Vista does not have that feature but you can use a program like SOburn to do the job.

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:59 PM

Hi Dallas Jack,

What version of Windows do you have?

See this post for instructions on how to burn an ISO file to CD or DVD using Windows 7 or 8, or this post if you use XP.

Edited by Al1000, 11 April 2016 - 01:59 PM.

#4 Dallas Jack

Dallas Jack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

I am running Win 7 home on a Dell Studio laptop.

I followed the link and burned an iamge file to a CD and am now booted under Fatdog. Using Seamonkey to post to this thread.

Thanks a bunch guy's this is exactly what I wanted to do. Now to learn my way around this OS.

Dallas Jack

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,613 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:28 PM

Hope you have fun! :)

#6 Dallas Jack

Dallas Jack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:11 PM

I'm back on Windows now. That was very interesting and a lot to take in on one setting. I think I need to find a Linux tutorial and do some studying.

I have plans to install it on a SFF PC and maybe making a HTPC out of it.

Thanks again to everyone for the assist.

Dallas Jack

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,613 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:45 PM

You're welcome.

The first part of this tutorial covers the basic steps for a frugal (recommended) installation of Puppy Linux.

If Puppy is all that will be installed on this computer, you would be as well to use the Grub4Dos bootloader that comes on the CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users