Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home partition size with dual boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Terryinfinchley

Terryinfinchley

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:06 AM

I set my home partition for Mint to be rather small. I can see my Win 10 partitions and thought I'd just save stuff there. But it seems to deny me permissions to save there.

So I need to either find a way to get a bigger home  partition or a way to save to my Win 10 NTFS "data" partition. (I'd prefer that one).

Gparted shows the Home partition sandwiched between two others ( I have several Win 10 partitions) with no real way to resize it, so I'd probably have to make space on the HDD and then create a new Home partition. Is that a possibility?

If so, how do I create a whole new /Home partition?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

Take a look at this Tutorial in our Tutorial Section by Sir NickAu

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/602046/how-to-mount-the-windows-10-partition-in-ubuntu/

Also try to get us a screenshot of your drives.  Use this Tutorial, but you don't need "Shutter" for now.  There is an inbuilt screenshot tool in Mint Under the Title "Graphics", well at least in KDE.  If needed just type screenshot after Opening the Menu.  

Once you read the tutorial > Open gparted > Open screenshot tool > choose "Current Window" or something to that effect in the screenshot tool > take a screenshot of gparted > Use Tutorial to post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558714/how-to-post-a-screen-shot-linux-style/

Or, you can Copy Paste this command in the Terminal and post the outcome here:

sudo parted -l

EDIT: There might be an issue with posting screenshots with such a new user, let's see if someone will chime in, I forget the rules, you can try it though. 

Edited by pcpunk, 11 April 2016 - 10:31 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

Can you mount the Windows partitions? I know on Windows 8.1 (I believe 10 is the same way) if you don't unselect the "Fast Startup" option (resides somewhere in Windows, can't remember where at the moment) you won't be able to mount any of the drives/partitions that it uses. Could be part of the issue you are having.

You could set your /home partition to one of your Windows partitions (I just wouldn't use a Windows partition that has Windows specific files on it, just use one that is purely a  data storage partition), that way you don't have to transfer files back and forth. You can point your /home to anywhere when installing Linux. As far as moving after you install... look here. Towards the bottom shows you how to change an existing users /home space.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 11 April 2016 - 10:30 AM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 Terryinfinchley

Terryinfinchley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:51 AM

Thanks Deimoschaos There's quite a lot for me to go on there. I'll give these a try.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:23 PM

Can you mount the Windows partitions? I know on Windows 8.1 (I believe 10 is the same way) if you don't unselect the "Fast Startup" option (resides somewhere in Windows, can't remember where at the moment) you won't be able to mount any of the drives/partitions that it uses. Could be part of the issue you are having.

This might help.

tutorial66-3.png

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for posting Nick! Hopefully it helps OP out.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:13 AM

Manners, manners, manners, lol

Hi Terryinfinchley, and :welcome: to BC and to the Linux and Unix Section!

Here's a template I provide for taking screenshots in the Linux Section, you need to use an image hosting site:

Newbies on screenshots -

If you need to know how to post a screenshot in the Linux Section, you can read, at Linux How-To and Tutorial Section, NickAu's Topic “How to post a screenshot Linux style”. Or click

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558714/how-to-post-a-screen-shot-linux-style/

or for more choices in Image Hosting sites, see Moderator Stolen's Post here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536686/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot/?hl=%2Btinypic+%2Bimgur+%2Bphotobucket#entry3386653

… #2 refers.

More recently, in helping another Member, they used http://postimage.org (formerly postimg.org), I joined it, and they are also BC friendly

I believe the limitation friend pcpunk referred to (about 14 Posts) was for changing your profile, but I could be wrong.

Enjoy

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users