Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:20 AM

Hello :)

I upgraded my Laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I am enjoying it at the moment. I upgraded my Laptop before my Desktop PC as my Laptop is used for tests where as my Desktop PC is used for Games/File Storage etc...

I'd now like to upgrade my PC to Windows 10 which is also Windows 7 but I'm a little concerned. I have 2 SDD's running in a striped set raid or raid 0 which run the OS and a few bits and bobs (mainly the OS). I've got it this way for the best possible performance. The raid is a software raid so I'm concerned that If I upgrade my machine to Windows 10 will it lose the raid?

Kind regards,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

I'm just speaking from my own experience here, but the Windows 10 install crashed on my desktop 3 times before I disconnected my two HDDs, and only left my SSD plugged in to install it. Since it's an upgrade, it should go smoothly without destroyed anything, but to be honest, I would disable the RAID, disconnect one SSD, do the upgrade to Windows 10, then reconnect the other SSD and rebuild the RAID.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:21 AM

I would disable the RAID, disconnect one SSD, do the upgrade to Windows 10, then reconnect the other SSD and rebuild the RAID. 

I thought this would be the road I'd have to go down - I guess I'll have to set some time aside to do this

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:51 AM

Backing your system up is ALWAYS great advice whether you're making system changes or not, but ESPECIALLY when making the kinds of changes we're talking about here.  We only lose what we don't back up.  I've been been using Easeus Todo Backup Free for the last 5 years; it's free for home use, and there's a paid version for other use.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

Backing your system up is ALWAYS great advice whether you're making system changes or not, but ESPECIALLY when making the kinds of changes we're talking about here.  We only lose what we don't back up.  I've been been using Easeus Todo Backup Free for the last 5 years; it's free for home use, and there's a paid version for other use.

I run backups frequently to an external backup drive. Before upgrading an OS I'd ALWAYS backup :) I'd advise everyone do to the same.

Kind regards,

Darktune

#6 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:22 AM

Making the major changes you are going to do, be sure to back up. One of the easiest things to do that took me years of frustration to learn. First  I have heard about disconnecting SSD's but knowing Windows 10 the way I do, I would follow Aura's suggestions. I don't know why but Windows 10 is extremely finicky and all kinds of strange things seem to happen when it is first instaled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users