Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Blue Screen Error after automatic Update - Keeps Restarting

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bruceyfamily

bruceyfamily

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:51 AM

My Laptop installed automatic updates for Windows 10 and then I clicked to restart it. I am now getting a blue screen error
Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart error code: 0xc000021a

It then tries to carry out an Automatic Repair by restarting but then it just goes back to the original blue screen.

Microsoft advise after automatic repair to select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore but I received an error message saying it had failed.

I am now at a loss as to what to do and hoping somebody can help. 

Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C50 running Windows 10.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:07 PM

Can you perform a RESET using the Keep My Files option?

If not, then try these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bruceyfamily

bruceyfamily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:59 AM

Hi thanks. I have just tried to reset and keep files and then end up getting message to say this has failed and then end up with the error message. 

Not sure how I can use the diagnostics link as I cannot access anything apart from the options on the blue screen?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:04 AM

With a Toshiba, you try tapping F12 when it boots.

That should get you to the boot menu

The MemTest86 test (not the MemTest86+) should be bootable directly from this menu.

To boot to the hard drive diagnostics, you'll have to change settings in the UEFI.

This includes disabling SecureBoot along with enabling CSM/Legacy boot options.

Each system is different, so it may take some experimentation

You may want to try this bootable diagnostic suite:  http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds030861

I have not tried it myself, but the specs sound like it'll work for the hard drive test

I don't know if it'll limit itself to just Lenovo systems or not - but it's worth a shot if you have a spare USB drive.

Also, you may wish to try Rufus and add a bootable ISO to it

Rufus is free from here:  https://rufus.akeo.ie/

I haven't done this one either, but it seems as if it'll work.

Still working on this one - can't get it to work for me.

Tried both Rufus and YUMI to boot Seatools/WD DLG/UBCD - and all failed on my system (but my BIOS/UEFI is setup a bit differently).

Will see what I can do at work tomorrow.

Edited by usasma, 13 April 2016 - 07:14 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bruceyfamily

bruceyfamily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:32 PM

Thank you for your help. Tried F12 as it boots but does not do anything. I can get to blue screen which has options to use a device or troubleshoot. Troubleshoot then has reset this pc or recovery tool or advanced options. This then has UEFI firmware settings or start up repair or command prompt or start up settings.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:10 AM

Most likely it's because there's no UEFI bootable devices attached (such as a DVD or flash drive)

A regular bootable drive won't work in UEFI unless you change some settings.

I'll see what I can find out at work today on a Toshiba there............................

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

You have to make sure that the system is fully turned off first.

Hold the power button down for 30 seconds or so.

Then press the power button and rapidly tap F12 - it should boot to a screen that offers boot options (tried it on a new Toshiba at work today).

Edited by usasma, 14 April 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#8 bruceyfamily

bruceyfamily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:35 AM

Hi I did try it from turned off but will try again. I have been given a disc with Windows 10 to boot from if this is recommended.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:27 AM

From the W10 disk you should be able to access the repair tools.

If you can't find them, as it first tries to install there will be a "Repair this computer" link in the lower left of the installation screen.

#10 bruceyfamily

bruceyfamily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:41 AM

Hi I have accessed the boot drive and changed it so that OD is first.  How do I now get it to run the windows disk? I have restarted but still in the blue screen automatic repair screens?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:53 PM

If the ODD is first in the boot order, then the system should boot from the disk if it's bootable.

I'd suggest posting over in the W10 forums for more detailed help with this (otherwise we'll spend a long time going back and forth with one line posts).

Here's the link to the W10 forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/229/windows-10-support/

#12 bruceyfamily

bruceyfamily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

Thanks very much I will post in there.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:30 AM

Good luck!

#14 bruceyfamily

bruceyfamily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:37 AM

I just wanted to report that this issue has now been resolved with the help of Microsoft and a reboot using a windows 10 installation on a flash drive. If anyone else has this issue contact Microsoft help https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/contactus and request a callback from a technician. If the first level technician cannot help they will refer your case to a higher level. It took a number of different routes and phone calls from them at an agreed time but worth the wait.  Apparently when I upgraded to Windows 10 the installation wasn't completely successful but this has now been sorted. 

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:26 PM

That's great!

Thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users