Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I doing this right?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pheno^

Pheno^

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:12 PM

In about 2 months I'll have an AAS CIS Network Administration degree.  I'm currently studying for my CCNA ICND1/2 composite exam, with plans to go for my CCNP R&S later down the road.

I've also just sparked an interest in Windows Server 2012, Active Directory, and system administration, so I'm now curious about the MCSA and MCSE.

SQL looks pretty cool too but I have NO experience with database administration or SQL programming. (I like too many things I think, lol)

I think I eventually want to get into network security way later down the road.

Anyway, I always get worried that I'm not specializing in the right directions or that my specializations are too broad.

Anyone with experience in the industry have any advice for me? 

Edited by Pheno^, 10 April 2016 - 11:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:06 PM

The more you know the more you're worth, provided you can apply your knowledge.

The first thing you need to do is determine what you enjoy doing and then pursue that discipline.  I advise you to do what you enjoy as opposed to doing what pays the most.

Security is, and will continue to be, the hot field now and in the coming future.  Security will have provide a great income, but is high stress as you cannot control the most important piece in security, the users.

MSCA and MCSE are going to take you a bit more time to acquire.  How long before you want to start working?

I will warn you that the things you need to learn for the certifications may not apply in the real world.  Every Microsoft certification question should start, "In a perfect Microsoft world..."

#3 Pheno^

Pheno^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

Well, I'm hoping to start working soon.  Maybe in a few months?  Ideally I'd like to acquire my CCNA first but I haven't decided.  I'm thinking I'll get in with a company (like a data center maybe) and they'll pay for me to get my CCNP, MCSA, MCSE etc. while I'm working with them.

I know I enjoy Cisco, and that is my top priority, but I also REALLY like Windows Server, as much of a pain in the butt that can be, lol.  Maybe I should just focus on CCNA and MCSA for now and see how it goes after a bit?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

Then I'd advise you to get your CCNA and a job and then see what you want to do next.  If you have difficulty in getting a position then you can focus on what you are lacking.

Working 40+ hours and getting certifications is a major undertaking.  I found that working second shift gave me an opportunity to study for certifications.  You will find that once you're working in the field you most likely won't need the certifications as your work experience will replace them in the eyes of hiring managers.

#5 Pheno^

Pheno^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:18 AM

Sounds like a good plan.  Thanks Kilroy :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users