Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC is freezing up at times; high temp. may be culprit

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:46 PM

Hi,

I have a PC running Windows XP Professional (SP3).  About six weeks ago it started freezing up, sometimes about once a day, sometimes not for a week or two, sometimes five times a day.  This happens at irregular times (not related to what program was running).  The mouse and keyboard do not work.  I used to shut down and it restarted.  Once or twice it froze and took me to the blue screen of death.  Lately when it freezes, there is screen flicker, and when I try to restart, it takes me to a screen to the motherboard; from there, I can go to the BIOS setup, and on to restart Windows.

I have checked the data and power cables to and from the hard drive from which it boots; I unseated and reseated them.  At the BSOD forum, I've had the memory dumps examined, with nothing conclusive found; the person helping me there suggested that I post here.  [All the previous correspondence was posted under this topic:  "Windows XP machine freezes or crashes to blue screen".

I also tested the memory, and used HWMonitor to check temperatures.  There are high max. temps (80-90 degrees C.) for CPUTIN, though not for the individual cores on the CPU itself. Please see the attached files.  Could this be a graphics card problem (it has integrated graphics)?

Maybe relevant:  18 months ago, I had freezing up along with screen flicker; I replaced the cheap existing power supply with a medium/high-end Corsair (CX500), and that solved the problem.  This time I initially did not get screen flicker before or during the crashes, and most crashes take the form of the screen/keyboard/mouse freezing up, so it doesn't follow the same pattern as the problems I had 18 months ago.  But now there is some screen flicker.

Current Speccy report is after my signature.

Any ideas of what to test for next?

Thanks,

Roger

Operating System
    Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz    30 °C
    Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
    4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 334MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5QL-EM (LGA775)    36 °C
Graphics
    E17LCD2 (1280x1024@60Hz)
    E17LCD2 (1280x1024@60Hz)
    Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
    465GB Western Digital WDC WD5001AALS-00E3A0 (SATA)    36 °C
    465GB Seagate ST3500320AS (SATA)    31 °C
    465GB Seagate BUP Slim BK USB Device (USB (SATA))    30 °C
Optical Drives
    ATAPI iHAS220 6
    ATAPI iHAS220 6
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 markba633csi

markba633csi

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:59 AM

90 deg C is high- the cpu could be damaged. Have you checked the heatsink for proper mounting? Have you checked the cost of a replacement cpu on Ebay? Does the problem only happen after a period of warmup? Have you used a utility to monitor the power supply voltages (I believe Speedfan will do this)?

Mark S.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:40 PM

Boot into Safe Mode and see if this persists.

Safe Mode uses a limited amount of drivers and applications.  It uses a Windows graphics driver, not the computer manufacturer's driver when you boot in Safe Mode.  If this problem does not persist in Safe Mode it is most likely driver related.

Have you opened the case and looked at the fan and heatsink assembly on the CPU to make sure it is free of any accumulation of dust?  If it is not clean this could account for the high CPU temperatures.  There usually is a grid in front of the intake fan on the case which can be clogged with dust, per fur, or other particulate matter.  With the age of this computer it would be worth removing the front bezel to see if this is the case as well.  

You have not posted the make and model of this computer, there for I can't provide you with specific instructions to remove the front bezel.  Most of these have tabs which snap into place.  You can usually press these toward the center of the front and pull on the bezel in the same location to free each tab.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:47 PM

Dear Mark S.,

The heat sink seems mounted correctly. 

The problem does NOT appear only after a period of warmup; on the contrary, it occurs only (or mostly) within the first 30 minutes after starting up the PC. 

No, I don't know the cost of replacing the CPU.  If it were damaged, would I see other problems, other than the freezing/shutting down by itself?  I have not seen any other problems so far.

I have used HWMonitor -- the screenshot I posted earlier has voltages at the motherboard.  Or did you mean I should check the power supply output voltages separately?

I just used Speedfan 4.51.  Under "Readings" it produced some illegible readings of voltages.  Hovering over the readings produced legible output.  Here it is, transcribed by hand:

Vcore:  1.10 V

+12V:  12.30 V

AVcc:  3.26 V

Vcore: 1.11 V

+3.3V: 3.26 V

+5 V:  5.04 V

+12V: 12.30 V

The min, max, mean, and current values were all very close together.

Thanks,

Roger

#5 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:05 PM

Dear Arachibutyrophobia,

Thanks for the Safe Mode idea.  I'll try it.  Can I use Safe Mode with Networking?

Could this file be causing the problems:  ASACPI.sys.  I have a 2004 version.  The volunteer at the other thread tried several times to help me get a newer version installed (from 2009), but it failed each time.

Yes, I've checked for dust.  It's moderately free of dust; it's not like I haven't been in there since the PC was built by JNCS around 2008; I've had to replace the hard drive and power supply and a data cable.  And I've taken off the front bezel and cleared that area.

In any case, the temperature spikes seem to be very short duration.  As I mentioned in the previous post, the problem does NOT appear only after a period of warmup; on the contrary, it occurs only (or mostly) within the first 30 minutes after starting up the PC.  Moreover, when I watch HWMonitor, or refresh the min/max values and then watch it again, I see the "current" temps. under 40 degrees, but the Max is always 65 or higher.  So if that's accurate, there are very brief spikes.  But maybe that's not accurate -- I don't know if that much heat could be produced and dissipate so quickly.

Roger

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

Yes, you can use Safe Mode with Networking.

Please run a sfc /scannow.  The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on Start.

Click on All Programs.

Click on Accessories.

Right-click on Command Prompt.

Click on Run as Administrator.

If UAC (User Account Control) appears, click Yes or Continue to continue to open Command Prompt as Administrator.

When the Command Prompt opens you will see an image similar to the one below.

windows-vista_safe-mode2.png

Copy and paste the following command below in the command prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

After the scan has finished running, copy and paste the following in the Search box and press Enter.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

If this fails to place the icon on your desktop run the command from the Command Prompt.  Use the instructions I provided at the start of this tutorial.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:19 AM

When  I try to run the Command Prompt as an administrator, I get this error message:

Attached File  Screenshot002.jpg   40.89KB   0 downloads

Maybe the problem is that I have a blank password.  How can I change that to a non-blank password?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

Are you trying run the command prompt from a remote desktop to run this?

#9 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:04 PM

No, directly on the PC itself.  Remote desktop might or might not be enabled.

Roger

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:42 AM

You can disable blank password restrictions by using the following instructions to change the Group Policy. 

Click Start, point to Run, type gpedit.msc, then click OK to start the Group Policy Editor.

Open Computer Configuration> Windows Settings> Security Settings> Local Policies> Security Options> Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.

Double-click on Limit local account use of blank passwords to consol logon only.

Click on Disabled, and then click OK.

Edited by dc3, 15 April 2016 - 08:44 AM.

#11 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:02 PM

Okay, that allowed me to run the command.  But then I got error messages in a dialog box (screenshot3), directing me to insert my Windows CD.  I did so, but those error messages didn't go away.  When I ran the second command you gave me, it gave me a different error message at the command prompt (screenshot4).  Please see the attached.

Roger

Attached File  Screenshot003.jpg   72.05KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot004.jpg   26.68KB   0 downloads

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

It looks like you are attempting to run the gpedit.msc from the Command Prompt.  If this is the case that will not work as a proper command.

After typing gpedit.msc in the Run box and then clicking on OK the Group Policy Editor should open.  The image below was created on my Windows 8.1 computer, so it may appear differently from what you are seeing.  The items listed need to open sequentially.  Not having Windows XP to try this I don't know if you have the diamonds in front of the item as seen in the image below or not.  If the diamonds are not present just click on the specific items, this would open the next options for items.  

group%20policy%20editor_zps3hyp9cne.png

#13 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:59 AM

No, I ran gpedit.msc from the WinXP run window.

The error messages I sent you were the results of running the two commands you gave me, at the command prompt:

sfc /scannow

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

The text of those commands should be visible in the screenshots I sent you.

Roger

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

You should have post that you had disabled the password requirement, not "that allowed me to run the command".  If you had let me know that you were now able to access the Command Prompt and run the sfc /scannow command there wouldn't have been any confusion on my part of what you were doing.  I respond to a large number of topics which by itself makes it difficult to remember all of the specifics about a single topic, especially after not responding to a topic after 48 hours.  It didn't occur to me until after my last post that originally you couldn't access the Command Prompt but were now obviously able to.

You will find instruction for running sfc /scannow in XP here.

Scroll down to the instructions specific to Windows XP.

As for the log, the CBS log doesn't exist in Windows XP.  It didn't come into being until Vista and beyond.  So we can forget about the log.

After you have completed the system file check let me know if this resolved the problem.

If it doesn't work please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

#15 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:38 PM

Dear DC3,

My apologies for the lack of precision in my earlier post.  I appreciate the time you take to help people at this site, and I will try to be precise in future.

I tried to follow your first instruction:

You will find instruction for running sfc /scannow in XP here.

But when I clicked on the highlighted term "here", it tried to direct me to http://here/, which in turn redirected me to

https://maps.here.com/?x=ep&map=40.76969,-74.18228,9,normal

Could you try to give me that link again, or just paste the URL into the message?

Are you saying that the system file check, when I'm able to run it, could resolve the problem -- that it's a kind of repair tool, not just a diagnostic tool?

Thanks,

Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users