Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't reload router software

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pops1

pops1

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:36 PM

Recently hard a hard drive problem and had to replace said hard drive with a new one. Everything working fine and router is working fine but I cannot reinstall router software.

Edited by hamluis, 16 April 2016 - 07:12 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:10 PM

I don't think your are talking about router software but software for the network adapter of the computer to access the router. What is the make and model of the computer. Can you connect to the internet? Are you trying to connect wirelessly or via an Ethernet cable? 

In the Windows 7 search box type Device Manager. Look for any devices with a yellow exclamation mark. Right click and select properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and Post the first line. 

611.png?w=920

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:45 AM

...but I cannot reinstall router software.

Can you provide some more details about what you mean by this?

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 952 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:41 AM

If you used the factory recovery media, everything should be working; but, you would need t know the password to your wireless network.

If you started with a Windows 7 DVD and used it, Windows does not know how to manage or use any of the hardware properly so you would need to download and install the drivers (the software which knows how to use the hardware) for, quite possibly, as many as ten different devices.

What is the make and model of the PC?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 pops1

pops1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:46 PM

The software I am talking about is the DVD that came with the Linksys router when I bought it. It installs the software needed to run the router. After replacing the hard drive, I tried to reinstall said software via of the DVD but it will only proceed to a point and then it stops, says it doesn't recognise the router. The router however still works as my other PC on my home network works fine and my wireless also works but just can't access the software for the router via my pc,  My computers are both Dell Inspiron 560 and the router is a Linksys WRT54GS ver 7.2.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:51 PM

The DVD is not required to connect to the router via wireless. I had a linksys WRT54GL and was able to connect my computers without the software provided on the DVD. 

I assume you are trying to connect via wireless, correct?  Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? See my post #2. 

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:27 PM

You don't need any software "...to run the router".  If you want to access the router's web administration page just open a web browser and type 192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press Enter.  A window similar to the one shown below will appear...

Authentication_Required_001.png

You must then enter your user name and password before you can access the web administration panel.

The CD may also contain a copy or the User Guide but even that can be downloaded from Linksys' support page if you lose the disc.  Your own manual may be this one.

#8 JessicaLondon

JessicaLondon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:43 PM

Hello to all  :bubbles:

These are unwanted reasons can stop the router access so everyone should avoid these simple problems. Today manufacturers are highly offering user manual to avoid common mistakes in router settings so users have to follow router manual. Normally users no need any tension about accessing router login page because every user can able to troubleshoot router common problems with manual. The most of users facing private ip address typing mistake problems so they should clearly know about private ip address of router.  The users can avoid more problems of Linksys, TP-link, D-link and other routers with this ip address.

Edited by JessicaLondon, 15 April 2016 - 06:44 PM.

#9 compostery

compostery

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:02 PM

Hi there, Having had several of these great old routers I can tell you there is definitely no software required for these routers to operate. As per Agouti's post if you put the ip address of the router into your browsers address bar it should open the name and password dialogue box and allow you to configure your router. 

If you have forgotten the routers ip address, username, or password, you can reset all of them back to default by using a paperclip or similar to press the reset button on the back of the router. :)

#10 swenparnex

swenparnex

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

This shouldn’t be necessary, but many routers seem to need an occasional reboot to keep working well. The reboot process is simple on most routers — unplug your router’s power cable, wait a few seconds, and then plug it back in. If you have separate modem, you may also want to try unplugging your modem’s power cable and plugging it back in after a few seconds. Some devices may have a power switch, but the unplug-and-plug-back-in method applies to all routers.

More info: http://www.ipaddressdefinition.org/192-168-1-1/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users