Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN10 15+ minutes to finish booting up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 UnclePaddyJ

UnclePaddyJ

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:26 PM

Massive slowdown last 36 hrs. Programs take 10+ minutes to launch if they launch at all w/o locking up or quiting. No new installs or changes in browsing routine. Figured out that if I single click on say a bookmark and then wait for 5 minutes or more until it eventually executes, but very very slowly. Example: to power down one click on start then on power then on turn off with 3 separate waits until the next step. 15 minutes to power down correctly & resist just pulling the plug.

Edited by UnclePaddyJ, 10 April 2016 - 09:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

First try System Restore to see if that helps it out.

Then try DISM/SFC:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

If that doesn't work, then try a RESET using the Keep My Files option

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 UnclePaddyJ

UnclePaddyJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:56 AM

Had to go the RESET with the Keep My Files option. Now the computer machine has been locked for over 12 hours at 30% overall completion and 49% loading drivers etc. Suggestions short of torching?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

Toss it out of a 3rd story window? (just kidding :0)

If it's still there in an hour or two, try (in this order):

- forced reboot

- System Restore

- Startup Repair

- RESET w/Keep My Files (again)

If all that fails, then:

- backup your stuff

- check to see that W10 is permanently activated.  Run "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) from a Command Prompt.  It'll tell you if it's permanent or not.

- reinstall W10 clean if it's permanently activated ( http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587 )

A clean install is:

- wiped partitions

- install of a freshly downloaded copy of W10

- installing ALL Windows Updates

- check Device Manager for problem devices and install drivers for them

- DO NOT install anything else

- run the system to see if the problem recurs

The point of this is to rule out software (Windows and 3rd party) - if you do that, then the problem must be hardware in nature.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 UnclePaddyJ

UnclePaddyJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:28 AM

I hope a 2 story window will do the trick.  :wink:

I am concerned that if I do the forced re-boot (a/k/a pull the plug and start over?) the WIN10 OS will not be installed completely. The message on the screen said something along the lines of installing drivers.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:55 AM

I tossed a roommates stereo through a 2nd story window back around 1990 and it was damaged but still worked.

I recommend a minimum of 3 stories for maximum effect :0)

As for forcing a shutdown - you can always attempt a clean re-install of W10

My concern would be about your data - but that shouldn't be damaged by a forced shutdown (although it would be more difficult to recover it).

In short, if you don't force the restart - you're stuck with an expensive paper-weight.  All you can do is watch the frozen screen....forever.

While we've been communicating here I've had a failure updating Windows to the latest, slow-ring Insider build and have had several black screen errors due to problems with VirtualBox.

Scary, but I worked through it (even as I was planning to buy a new laptop).

This system was updated to W10 back when it was still in "beta", and was on the fast-ring Insider updates until the previous one caused problems.

My data is automatically saved to my Western Digital MyCloud device - so I don't worry about that.  What I worry about is the work to reinstall all the custom stuff and programs that I use.

The point is that, although it may seem disastrous, a clean install often makes things much more pleasant for the future.

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:29 AM

When you get something running, I'd suggest you do a CHKDSK on your hard drive to check for bad sectors and attempt to fix.  You might also want to consider getting an SSD to put Windows on.  You can get 240 GB ones these days for around $60.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#8 UnclePaddyJ

UnclePaddyJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the follow-up. Third floor recommendation duly noted.

New haps (condensed version): RESET (save my files) failed to install half way through. Clicked OK on the error message and it undid the install. On and off. Many many times. Left it running, went to bed and this morning there's my desktop. Chrome launched fine from the desktop icon. Big improvement on loading screens, videos etc. Screaming fast like never before. Big problem: Cannot open the start menu or the Windows Explorer to get to a C: prompt or the control panel. Right click on the mouse doesn't help. Any suggestions?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:37 PM

Try creating a new profile and see if the problem exists in the new profile.

Can you get to the Run dialog (Win key and R key)?

If so, typing "control" (without the quotes) should open Control Panel.

What applet are you trying to get to in Control Panel?

As for explorer. type "C:\" (without the quotes) in the Run dialog and press Enter

That should open up explorer.

You can also use the Browse button to open up things.

#10 UnclePaddyJ

UnclePaddyJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

Here's an update: Condensed  version. It fixed itself. Gradually after about a weeks everything was working like nothing had ever happened. Maybe there was a WIN10 update in there. Don't know, But either way all programs are opening and closing as they should. Even the complicated RAM eaters. The one thing I haven't done tho' is turn my computer machine off and then back on. Call me paranoid. I'll try it someday when my stress tolerance is high. Thanks for your advice and humor.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:19 PM

Hi UnclePaddyJ,

Next time instead of Resetting Windows 10 try repair install first with repair install of Windows 10 you get to keep your personal files, settings and programs you have installed.

"Non-destructive reinstall of Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"
https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

Edited by FreeBooter, 26 April 2016 - 10:20 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users