Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dinosaur Gaming PC need New One

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 shenberry

shenberry

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:25 PM

Its been 8 years since I built my PC. Only thing I have really done is added storage increased ram and changed GPU. I do a lot of things from create music/videos, gaming, Blu Ray 3d movies, etc. When I built my rig last time the budget was 3k looking to stick within that range, I really don't want to buy a computer every two years so it has to be futuristic. I like newegg and tiger direct unless we are talking substantially cheaper.

OLD MODEL
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q9550 2.83 GHz (Surprisingly every game works running windows 8)
Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: 8gb (it would be funny if it was a joke)
Video Card:Currently Nvidia Geforce GTX 770
Natively ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 (stayed hot Nvidia ever since)
Case: Antec 900 (To much noise and light gotten much older in 8 years)

Future Proposal
Trying to stay in a 3k to 3.5k budget
Need help with compatibility, benchmarks, power supply, case, keyboard & mouse, TV monitor
All prices are from newegg

CPU: i7-5930K (581.98)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EXTREME (479.99)

Memory: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin (539.99)
This would be the first time I had so much ram. I could cut down for faster cpu or better grapics.
Willing to settle for 16 or 32 gb of ram.

Storage: Main Drive SAMSUNG PM871 M.2 256GB SATA III (140.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0D9-000...
Not sure if it is compatible with MB
Its just for OS and I like to keep my main drive small and fast

Secondary Drive: WD40EZRZ (127.99)

Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti (804.98)
Haven't check benchmarks. Please let me know if it is worth it.

Drive: LG 16x Blu Ray (96.67)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0Y6-000...

CPU Cooler: Any Ideas
Case: No water cooling Quiet and cool can take from ram if the case is worth it
Power Supply: Thinking 1100 Watts
Monitor: 4k Television not sure which one
Keyboard: Not sure
Mouse: 7 buttons

Budget: $3.5k max shipping and handling
Total: $2772.59

I always get extended warranty on GPU thinking about not getting extended warranty on CPU
I will not purchase anything from MSI have a long history of bad things with company.
Thank You for your feedback.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:11 AM

A few questions/thoughts...

Have you considered a Skylake-based CPU?  It's a newer architecture with a newer platform.  If you are mostly gaming, the i7-6700k is all you really need, but if you are rendering or doing scientific calculations that can use all the cores, the Haswell-E would do better.  When comparing the two CPU's with gaming, the performance differences are small compared to the price differences.

Instead of an M.2 SSD, you could get a traditional SATA-based SSD for maximum compatibility.  The SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III would be one such drive.

The 980 Ti's are very powerful graphics cards, it should last a long time before needing an upgrade.  With NVidia cards, I usually go with EVGA or Gigabyte, here is a 980 Ti that is a little less expensive from EVGA:  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4996-KR 6GB FTW GAMING.  EVGA is very good when it comes to supporting their cards.

For CPU coolers, the Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 140mm is good, but unless you are overclocking, you could get a smaller 120mm version for half the price.  These coolers are large so make sure your case can handle them, typically, a Full ATX case should easily accommodate such a cooler.

You probably don't need 1100W for this machine unless you have several drives and/or graphics cards operating at the same time.  Otherwise, a 750W should suffice.  Corsair, EVGA, Silverstone, and Seasonic make good PSU's, try to get modular ones so don't have a nest of cables choking your system.

You need a copy of Windows, unless you are using a full, boxed retail copy of Windows 8.  System Builder/OEM licenses are tied to the motherboard and cannot be transferred to a new one. 

Cases are by and large a style choice once you go beyond the size.  I suggest a Full-ATX case so you can keep adding hardware to it and have plenty of space.  I like Lian-Li cases, they tend to be understated but solid.  Generally, aluminum cases are of higher quality with side vents or windows increasing noise.  LIAN LI PC-A75, Phanteks Enthoo Primo PH-ES813P_SWT, and Lian Li PC-V1000LA Silver / Lian Li PC-V1000LB Black are all Full ATX cases, but are expensive.

3939.png

#3 antoniu200

antoniu200

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

Wouldn't the Corsair VS650 be enough? It's cheap and it has tons of connectors for what you might put in computer, even though it's not modular. You can save that money to buy a watercooling block. I wouldn't go too expensive on a case, buy from Floston, as they are really really cheap and some of them are nice too. If you want a big case, not a default one, then don't go with Floston.

Edited by antoniu200, 11 April 2016 - 11:00 AM.

#4 antoniu200

antoniu200

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

Ok great. Floston's site is offline for 2 months.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:17 PM

For 4K gaming, there is no GPU that can handle 4K graphics with good quality. So only wise option is to wait 14/16nm graphic cars. 28nm technology is already 4 years old so it's impossible to recommend 800 dollar GPU that is built with ancient manufacturing technology and released 1.5 years ago. So better to upgrade graphic card later.

For CPU, i7-5820K is equal (unless 1-2% matters) when using single CPU but much cheaper. With dual GPU difference is also neglible. With 4 GPUs there might be some difference.

PSU: 1100W is OK if planning to add 4 GPU's. For single GPU 650W PSU is more than enough.

#6 shenberry

shenberry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:17 PM

Just got back i see a conflict with GPUs is there a date on when newer architecture GPUs will be released.

I do everythign with my PC Game, coding, watch movies, create movies, etc.

No 4k gaming that sucks but i still have netflix and 3d blu ray movies

Not worried about windows have enterprise licenses going windows 10 ditching 8.

scared of watercooling dont want a drop of water leak etc have little kids will stick with traditional cooling methods

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:14 AM

We probably won't know when the next Nvidia "Pascal" cards will be released until Computex in June.  If you need a card now, the 980 Ti is great, but if you can wait until June/July, that would be best.

3939.png

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:29 AM

We probably won't know when the next Nvidia "Pascal" cards will be released until Computex in June.  If you need a card now, the 980 Ti is great, but if you can wait until June/July, that would be best.

It really doesn't matter because 28nm manufacturing tech is 4 years old and not getting any younger. It's quite impossible to recommend 650 dollar video card that is not future proof, architechrurally over 2 years old and uses 4 year old manufacturing process. No matter how long it takes Pascal/Polaris to arrive, 980Ti is still technically and architechturally obsolete card with huge price tag. Of course that applies to every card on market but it's possible to drop huge price tag away so I suggest buying something cheaper and upgrade later. 980Ti will get old quite quickly after all.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 12 April 2016 - 11:32 AM.

#9 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:04 PM

forgive my ignorance, but is the architecture going to change the way they are developing games? i did spend the money and got the 980ti and running every game i have in 2560x1440 at max setting and rarely drop below 90 fps. While i'll agree that the architecture may be older, but it still runs everything really really well. If you want to play games now, in good form, not some unknown date, with an architecture we don't even for sure know is going to be any better. Take AMD for example, every year they are supposed to revolutionize their current build, but it always falls short. there's no guarantee it's going to be better. Obsolete would be a little strong of a term i think. 

#10 shenberry

shenberry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:31 PM

Cpu Boss has the i7-4790k beating all the CPus Listed
i7 6700k
i7 5820k
i7 5930k

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:08 AM

Honestly, I wouldn't go for a 980 Ti if I were buying, I'd aim for the somewhat more affordable 980 and SLI at a later date if I choose.  The nature of PC tech is that you will always be obsolete in a few months time.  As for CPU Boss, those are synthetic benchmarks, not actual real world performance with various applications and games, so take the scores with a large grain of salt.  Here's an article on the 4790k and 6700k you may find interesting.

3939.png

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:52 PM

forgive my ignorance, but is the architecture going to change the way they are developing games? i did spend the money and got the 980ti and running every game i have in 2560x1440 at max setting and rarely drop below 90 fps. While i'll agree that the architecture may be older, but it still runs everything really really well. If you want to play games now, in good form, not some unknown date, with an architecture we don't even for sure know is going to be any better. Take AMD for example, every year they are supposed to revolutionize their current build, but it always falls short. there's no guarantee it's going to be better. Obsolete would be a little strong of a term i think. 

28nm manufacturing process is obsolete, no question about that because any 4 year old manufacturing process is. 14/16nm process alone should give at least 1.7x performance per watt (or 1.7x performance with same wattage). 2x is well within reach. Main reason for this big jump is fact that AMD and Nvidia both skipped over 20nm tech. So this time improvement will be "two improvements".

14/16nm process will most probably be biggest single improvement on graphics cards ever. And that was only manufacturing process. Also GDDR5 to HBM2 memory will be one of biggest improvements ever on video card memory tech. Add new architechures and we are talking about biggest improvement on graphics cards ever. So this is revolution, not just small performance gain.

AMD and Nvidia was not going to revolutionize anything over past four years, so I don't really understand that "supposed to revolutionize" thing. It's impossible to make revolution on GPU side when sticking with same manufacturing process and same memory technology. Now both are finally going to change and there is chance for revolution.

Cpu Boss has the i7-4790k beating all the CPus Listed
i7 6700k
i7 5820k
i7 5930k

Good reason to avoid CPU Boss.

The nature of PC tech is that you will always be obsolete in a few months time.

I could give infinite number of examples why this simply does not hold true.

AMD 8-core CPU's: FX-8350 released 3.5 years ago. So far, nothing significantly better have come out. Also Intel's cheapest 8-core alternative cost whopping 999 dollars.

AMD HD7950: Released over 4 years ago. R9 280 replaced it and later R9 380. Considering price, R9 380 does not make R9 280 obsolete.

Intel CPU's: i5-2500K is still good CPU for gaming, released over 5 years ago. Considering price, i5-6600K still does not make it obsolete.

And so on.

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:53 AM

AMD 8-core CPU's: FX-8350 released 3.5 years ago. So far, nothing significantly better have come out. Also Intel's cheapest 8-core alternative cost whopping 999 dollars.

AMD HD7950: Released over 4 years ago. R9 280 replaced it and later R9 380. Considering price, R9 380 does not make R9 280 obsolete.

Intel CPU's: i5-2500K is still good CPU for gaming, released over 5 years ago. Considering price, i5-6600K still does not make it obsolete.

And so on.

The point I was trying to make is, depending on the component, a new one could be coming out in a few months and thus you will constantly be chasing the latest and greatest to get a performance upgrade which may not always be major enough to warrant the price  Example: Someone sees a 980 Ti come out and just has to get it to have the latest, even though they already have a 980.

3939.png

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:38 AM

And so on.

The point I was trying to make is, depending on the component, a new one could be coming out in a few months and thus you will constantly be chasing the latest and greatest to get a performance upgrade which may not always be major enough to warrant the price  Example: Someone sees a 980 Ti come out and just has to get it to have the latest, even though they already have a 980.

I talked about little different thing. I also know people who need to buy "latest", no matter how expensive or small upgrade.

But generally in many cases it's quite easy to predict accurately when next "worth upgrading" part is coming. Very useful for those who don't necessarily need anything right away and so can wait for better deals. Some people don't want or cannot wait so sometimes they need to pay 400% more for same product (2011 Thailand hard disk factury flood is good example).

As for question, I still say that considering price, 980Ti offers very little. So I suggest around ~$300 card now and later upgrade to better card + 4K display. Upgrading video card is easy and switching monitor efforthless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users