Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best external hard drive for a Mac? (Lacie Porsche p9223 1TB)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 techphobe

techphobe

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

I'm looking at a Lacie Porsche p9223 1tb, which is supposedly made especially for Macs? "This drive allows you to partition it with a simple command." How that differs from other drives I dunno.

I've never heard of the brand before, but the first review I saw wasn't great.

"We eliminated the LaCie Porsche Design P’9233 for having a 23.53 percent reported fail rate according to Amazon reviews and a dearth of reviews from trusted sources."

Although when I looked they seemed OK. 

I've tended to stick to well known brands before like WD (poor experience) and Seagate (OK).

If anyone thinks I should avoid please let me know. 

Edited by techphobe, 10 April 2016 - 07:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:03 AM

Any USB external drive will work with a Mac. You may just want to re-format it as HFS+ (aka the "Mac format"), although a FAT32 formatted external drive will work just fine a Mac. The only functional difference between a LaCie and your typical WD or Seagate you will find in the local store is that the LaCie will come formatted in HFS+ typically...and it likely might be bit more expensive because they use "fancy" designers to design some of their cases.

I have bought LaCie drives in the past and they worked just fine. I stopped buying them for two reasons:

1) Their support for their NAS drives was very poor. They only supported then for a few years. I had one that was working fine, but then when Apple came out with a new OS, the NAS would not work with that NAS and LaCie had decided not to support that NAS anymore. So, I could not use that NAS with any Mac running the new OS. So, I now buy my NAS drives from someone else...and my "regular" external drives as well.

2) I like to "build" my own external drives. In other words, I buy the internal drive of my choice and then buy an enclosure for it. This came about due to #1 and due to the fact that drive companies like WD and Seagate did not make Firewire drives that I could use with my Firewire equipment Macs (and Windows computer). Firewire was/is faster than USB 2.0, so I tended to use it rather than USB drives. This has changed with the advent of USB 3.0. USB 3.0 is faster than Firewire and is really no different speed wise than Thunderbolt when you are dealing with non-SSD external drives (a tradition spinning drive is the bottleneck for both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt unless you get into RAID arrays). The big reason that I ended up liking to build my own drives is that if the internal drive or the enclosure of my external drive dies, then I buy a replacement for that part that died. That is sometimes tough to do with "manufactured" external drives as they sometimes use proprietary connections between the internal drive and the enclosure.

So, the end result is that the LaCie drive would likely just be fine, but you can also just get a WD or Seagate drive. I would just make sure it is a USB 3.0 drive.

#3 techphobe

techphobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:31 PM

Thank you very much! I'm on a steep learning curve, especially with all these acronyms.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:49 PM

Thank you very much! I'm on a steep learning curve, especially with all these acronyms.

If there are acronyms, etc that you don't know, just let me know. I will usually "spell them out" at least once in a post/thread, but sometimes I get lazy.

FWIW, NAS stands for network attached storage, if you did not figure that out already. I make use for NAS devices for some file storage (generally more than external drives with the exception of my "media" drive attached to my MacBook Pro with movies, music, and TV shows) and as one way of backing up computers.

And SSD is a solid state drive...i.e. the type of drive that will come in your new MacBook Pro.

#5 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:37 PM

I have had a Western Digital 'My Book Essential' external hard drive, 2 TB which is huge, for several years and never have had a problem with it. I use it with Time Machine to backup everything. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#6 techphobe

techphobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:07 PM

Yes I got the same one, because it was the best reviewed. Do you leave it plugged in all the time? I've had a few problems with it but the most annoying thing about it is the smartware, which I couldn't get rid of once it's installed. I know they say you should have your external plugged in all the time for backups but i've lost hard drives because of lightening so I'm a bit nervous about that, and it's not really practical with a laptop, so I don't, my backups were monthly at best rather than daily, but  it used to pop up every time I put my PC on, I removed it from start up, winpatrol, nothing could stop it loading. I don't know if it uses a lot of resources but I note there were complaints about it.

#7 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:37 PM

I leave mine plugged in all the time. I don't know about the smartware issue (what an oxymoron that word is). One of the guys on here might be able to help you with that. Check back here regularly since not all of them are frequent visitors.  

Edited by Twin B, 12 April 2016 - 07:38 PM.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users