Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photo Viewer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

Has anyone made registry changes that install (or make available) Photo Viewer? Apparently a downloads are available (eg Winaero Tweaker) which have been used successfully without adverse unintended consequences. I upgraded from 7 so I have Photo Viewer. However, my SIL's new PC comes with the new Photos app only which, imo, is a big step back. Thanks. 

Edited by Artbuc, 10 April 2016 - 06:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

I can't help with Photo Viewer but take a look at FastStone Image Viewer (Free for home use).

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:49 PM

Yes, it can be done.  See this article: http://www.askvg.com/tip-restoring-windows-photo-viewer-as-default-in-windows-10/

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:42 PM

I am in the process of giving FastStone Image Viewer a try out.....Looks extremely promising.....certainly a major improvement on windows 10 default program !

(Link in JohnsC's post #2)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:48 AM

I can't help with Photo Viewer but take a look at FastStone Image Viewer (Free for home use).

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Thanks. Tried it and it looks good except not easy to exit photo. Maybe I am missing something.

Yes, it can be done.  See this article: http://www.askvg.com/tip-restoring-windows-photo-viewer-as-default-in-windows-10/

Thanks, but way above my pay grade. Sounds way too tricky, especially on someone else's computer.

#6 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:46 AM

Duh, I just discovered Photo Gallery is part of the Essentials suite which suits my needs...much better than Photos.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:14 AM

@ Artbuc......I am assuming you are talking about when the pic fills the whole screen......Just hit the esc button.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:05 AM

@ Artbuc......I am assuming you are talking about when the pic fills the whole screen......Just hit the esc button.

Thanks, why didn't I think of that?? The only way I could get out was right clicking to bring up a menu with an exit option. Overall, looks pretty unuser friendly for someone who is mostly just opening and closing photos

Edited by Artbuc, 11 April 2016 - 05:06 AM.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:22 AM

Our experiences vary....I have found it to be rather cool.    Play with it some more, it has some interesting features...ease of access etc

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:39 AM

Our experiences vary....I have found it to be rather cool.    Play with it some more, it has some interesting features...ease of access etc

Thanks. I do appreciate your help very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users