Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite L355D won't boot, black screen, shows lights and fans on

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 forthelove334

forthelove334

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:04 PM

Anyone help is appreciated

Laptop: toshiba satellite l355d-s7829 model psle8u-023016

I bring it back and forth to my girlfriends..  I am coming here for last resort in hopes someone can help me or lead me in the right direction to getting this fixed..

- When I push the power button, the fan and power lights come on, but screen is black, no beeps or anything

So far I've tried:

-Taking battery out, holding power button down for 60 secs, tried powering on without battery in it..

-Making sure ram and hard drive seated properly/ Tried to see if anything would show up without ram or hard drive plugged in

-Hooked to external monitor, still black screen

The only thng after researching I haven't tried that a few are saying worked is heating up the motherboard 

1. Disassemble the laptop and remove the motherboard from the casing.

2. Use a heat gun on high for 15 seconds on the intel chipset and nVidia video chip.

3. Wait 10-15 minutes for both to cool down.

4. Turn over the motherboard and use the heat gun for 15 seconds to overheat the same areas you just did on the topside.

5. Wait 10-15 minutes for both to cool down.

6. Reassemble laptop and turn on.

I wanted to come here first before last resort as this seems risky and taking apart the computer fully..

Possible causes that recently happened:

- my leg caught onto the power cord while it was plugged in and yanked it a little bit, but it still worked before and after 

- When having open files I  wanted to be able to turn the laptop back on and come back to when I put it to sleep or push the power button to shut it down many times it wouldn't turn back on, requiring me to turn it off and back on, losing work so I recently have been just going to switch user and leaving it on..

-Many times on the go when leaving I dont shut down properly and just hold the power button down until it turns off

Please help I really dont want to spend money i dont have right now

Edited by forthelove334, 10 April 2016 - 05:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 forthelove334

forthelove334
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:54 PM

ouch man guess this section isnt as popular as if i had a virus lol pleeaaaseee help i need it back lol

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

Toshiba Troubleshooting Assistant

Louis

#4 BAPPAH

BAPPAH

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:16 AM

I think is the VGA problem

#5 forthelove334

forthelove334
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:18 AM

any advice on how to fix or check if thats the issue

#6 forthelove334

forthelove334
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:15 AM

whats weird is usb hard drives and other things work when i plug them in.. just screen itself is black.. no anything.. same when i plug in external monitor

#7 forthelove334

forthelove334
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:15 AM

I took it apart according to the dissaembly instructions and have attached photos

tomorrow I will try to the reflow with a heat gun if no one reponds with anything else or reccomendations on what it might be

please look at the attached pictures, when I removed the heat sink under it is a grayish hard crusted residue is this the thermal paste? or what is it.. is it suppposed to be there and is it supposed to be hard like that.. i am a noob please tell me what to do to save the laptop

here are the pics http://imgur.com/a/5J2G6

thank you

#8 forthelove334

forthelove334
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

well ... I did one last try on the heat gun and popped the ram in.. it booted up.. was able to save the files I wanted to save luckily.. tried to test it out a little bit , turned the cpu off, back on , everything was working good..

now the problem where it wont boot back up again is after I push the power button one quick time, to put it to sleep mode instead of powering off.. once i do that it won't boot back up at all..

any help on what this could be coming from and how to fix?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users