Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel's Core 2 Duo's

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:40 AM

My current setup is a,

Athlon 4000+
2 gigs ram
7800 gt

Has anybody else seen the benchmark results from these CPU's? For the price, I think I might want to change out my AMD processor with the new E6600 CPU. Now, I am still planning this and don't want to jump on it right away, however, with me starting college in two weeks and I'm going to be (at least still am hoping to be) using video editing and such programs for my major, I've already been planning on upgrading for a while. I'm still a bit scetchy with building PC's so my question would be (and I'll probably need to put down some more information if needed, i'm guessing maybe more on the RAM), would all I need to get is the E6600 Core 2 Duo CPU and a new mobo for it, or might I have to replace my ram as well? Also, are there any reasons to hold off on it?

I'm only on the fence when it comes to how it will last me. For around $350 or so, I think its crazy how the E6600, one of the midrange cpu's of the series, performs neck'n neck with the AMD FX-62 and yet it's like $600-700 cheaper. Also, I am aware that AMD should be lowering the prices of their CPU's but, wouldn't it be better to spend around $400-500 for a E6600 and a mobo instead of around $1000 for just a new FX-62? Now, unless AMD cuts the price of the FX-62 to like $400-500, I'm thinking a new CPU/MOBO would be a better option and besides, would AMD cut the price of their most expensive CPU in half, if not a bit more than half?

any input would be greatly appreciated,
Wizdabest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 magman68classic

magman68classic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:51 AM

I plan on getting this laptop, then over time buying an Intel Core 2 Duo. I have heard nothing but good things about it, there are plenty of posts somewhere in this forum that talk about it. Just search for it.

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:02 AM

so, are AMD's 939's prices being lowered by a ton? I mean, unless the FX-62 is lowered to like $400, I wouldn't see a reason to not invest in a E6600 since it gives the same, if not, a bit more performance as the fx-62.

*edit* well, pricewatch.com shows them for the cheapest of roughly $560-800.

Edited by Wizdabest, 04 August 2006 - 11:20 AM.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

AMD has already lowered the prices on their CPUs and the FX-62 is at around $800 I believe. With your machine I wouldn't upgrade, it isn't worth it, especially considering the somewhat limited range of Core 2 Duo motherboards out at the moment.

The FX-62 is also a AM2 only part so you would need to upgrade the motherboard for it as well (I am assuming you got 939). And for both AM2 and Core 2 upgrades you would also need new RAM.

Conclusion: Upgrading not worth it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for the input,

what ram would I need anyway?

Edited by Wizdabest, 04 August 2006 - 11:44 AM.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:44 AM

DDR2. Both AM2 and Core 2 use DDR2 while Socket 939 uses DDR.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:01 PM

So wouldn't DDR2 be the requirement for future AMD/Intel cpu's?

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

Yes, at least until the next memory standard becomes adopted (such as DDR3).

#9 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

true, but from what I google'd that would come in another year or two from now.

well its interesting then, I did a quick price search and a new mobo, core 2, and ram could still come out to be a bit less than an a fx-60 alone (939 one right?).

interesting possibilities.

Edited by Wizdabest, 04 August 2006 - 12:46 PM.

#10 eniqmah

eniqmah

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

Hm,
It is amazing how much and how quickly the top performing hardware becomes so obsolete just because something new came out. How quickly we forget the amazing speed of the FX62.

#11 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:32 PM

heh lol, indeed.

#12 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

Well, how about this,

Will AMD be fine with programs for a major that includes video/photo editing, website design, and flash animation? If that'll be alright, I think I should at least pick up a 4400 or a 4800 with their lower prices and multitasking ability. However, say I wanted more performance and wanted to overclock (which I am new to), is it fairly easy to take the 4400 or the 4800 up to say FX-60 speeds of like 2.6 ghz? Furthermore, is it possible to do it without too much of risk of heat and failure in the shorterm and longerm (say like a year or more)? I have this case and thats pretty much it in terms of cooling.

Edited by Wizdabest, 07 August 2006 - 12:05 PM.

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:57 PM

If you want to overclock or go to those price-ranges the Core 2 Duo is better than AMD. AMD at the moment offers better value at 4200+ and below. As for overclocking you could take them Athlon X2s to 2.6-2.7 GHz, but a Core 2 Duo you could take to 3-4 GHz, and it is faster Hz per Hz (ie a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo is faster than a 2 GHz Athlon X2). The MTBF is always shortened by overcloking, but it is normally over 10 years but without some extreme overclocking you wouldn't get it below 5 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users