Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible/likely infection, serious performance degredation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grimreaper219

grimreaper219

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

Roughly two weeks ago I started noticing performance degradation on my PC after downloading a game from a less than a reputable source. 

Symptoms: 

-Oddly (relatively) high CPU usage while nothing heavy is going on. (Rapidly changing between 4% and 20% at it's height, which is sort of high to my recollection of my rig's performance)

-System and compressed memory process at times eating chunks of CPU and idling at 400-600mb of memory usage. (For example, and relating to the next point: System and compressed memory shoots up to 25% CPU usage (no memory usage change) when running a test from www.speedtest.net, and FPS starts locking up.)

-System performance takes a nose dive during internet usage, effecting both FPS and audio playback, which has never happened in the past. 

Steps taken to attempt to rectify it:

Multiple scans, nothing of note coming up. 

-Bitdefender

-Bitdefender rescue mode

-Malwarebytes

-spybot search and destroy

-Rkill

-tdsskiller

-hitmanpro

-roguekiller

Everything is coming up rosey but the performance problem remains. 

Windows 10 x64 home

16gb of ram

i7 processor

nvidia gtx 970

1tb SSD drive

My computer is a gaming rig and shouldn't be suffering from problems like it is. My next step is a reformat but I figured I'd try my luck here first.

Edit: Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but a windows update, and a windows security update happened on 3/22, the same time period as the download, and about when the symptoms started. I've heard of windows updates doing funny things before so I'm not sure if related.

Edited by grimreaper219, 10 April 2016 - 06:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:03 AM

Hello , we need you to repost, include your RogueKiller log ad the one from here.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 grimreaper219

grimreaper219
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

Sorry for the slow reply, works been busy. You want me to start a new thread/topic with the rogue killer log, correct?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:19 PM

Yes
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users