Roughly two weeks ago I started noticing performance degradation on my PC after downloading a game from a less than a reputable source.
-Oddly (relatively) high CPU usage while nothing heavy is going on. (Rapidly changing between 4% and 20% at it's height, which is sort of high to my recollection of my rig's performance)
-System and compressed memory process at times eating chunks of CPU and idling at 400-600mb of memory usage. (For example, and relating to the next point: System and compressed memory shoots up to 25% CPU usage (no memory usage change) when running a test from www.speedtest.net, and FPS starts locking up.)
-System performance takes a nose dive during internet usage, effecting both FPS and audio playback, which has never happened in the past.
Steps taken to attempt to rectify it:
Multiple scans, nothing of note coming up.
-Bitdefender rescue mode
-spybot search and destroy
Everything is coming up rosey but the performance problem remains.
Windows 10 x64 home
16gb of ram
nvidia gtx 970
1tb SSD drive
My computer is a gaming rig and shouldn't be suffering from problems like it is. My next step is a reformat but I figured I'd try my luck here first.
Edit: Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but a windows update, and a windows security update happened on 3/22, the same time period as the download, and about when the symptoms started. I've heard of windows updates doing funny things before so I'm not sure if related.
Edited by grimreaper219, 10 April 2016 - 06:33 PM.