Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BitDefender remove

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 miecz

miecz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:15 PM

I discovered BitDefender files in Windows/Temp folder (TbitDefenderUpdaterThread (txt) and BitDefender Thread Scaner.dmp. The only indication of BitDefender presence is flash of warning displayed while booting. I’ve never choosen and installed BitDefenter software and I am strongly going to remove it. I found here “Remove BitDefender 2011 (Uninstall Guide)” and next a post of Forum member  MadGodXXX , dated on 06 July 2014.

I hope, maybe now  there is a “more present” uninstall guide of how to do it effectively. Unfortunately I cannot find an update.  Any help would be appreciated.

(Windows XP, SP3).

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 10 April 2016 - 03:29 PM.
Moved from XP to A/V - A/M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:07 AM

How to uninstall Bitdefender Products
Uninstall Tools for Bitdefender Paid Products
Uninstall Tools for Bitdefender Trial Products
Uninstall Tools for Bitdefender Products...Paid, Trial and Business Products
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 miecz

miecz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

Hello quietman7,

Along link How to uninstall Bitdefender Products, there is an instruction “How to uninstall Bitdefender 2015”.  In cause of  Windows XP,  concerned to it fragment has been written as follows:

“…you have the following options:

-        I want to reinstall it - will completely remove Bitdefender. Bitdefender 60-Second Virus Scanner will not be installed

-        I want to permanently remove it - will completely remove Bitdefender. Bitdefender 60-Second Virus Scanner will be installed on your system to protect you against malware…”

If  I understand it properly, it means: you want to reinstall –  then Bitdefender will be removed, you want to permanently remove – Bitdefender(new version)  will be installed (!!?)

I am afraid, with no any help of a Bible researcher I will understand nothing.

By the way, for me, old man, creation self installing software is backdoor activity, bringing shame to American companies.

Regards

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:31 PM

Bitdefender’s 60-Second Virus Scanner is not a new version of Bitdefender Anti-virus but a tool which can be used in combination with a full-featured antivirus as a second opinion scanner. You can read more about it here.

Those instructions appear to have changed since the last time I read them and a I can see where there can be some confusion.

As I read it, the option... I want to permanently remove it will completely remove Bitdefender but the Bitdefender 60-Second Virus Scanner will be automatically installed on your system. If you don't want that scanner, then DO NOT choose this option.

The option... I want to reinstall it will completely remove Bitdefender but will not install the Bitdefender 60-Second Virus.

That should allow you to download a new Bitdefender Anti-virus version yourself and install it. If you don't want to do that, then you should be able to download and install another anti-virus but run the below tool first.

To be sure everything is removed properly, we also recommend using our dedicated uninstall tool. Download it from this location and then run it on your system:

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/The_New_Bitdefender_UninstallTool.exe

#5 Struppigel

Struppigel

Karsten Hahn, G DATA Malware Analyst

• Malware Response Team
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:43 PM

I’ve never choosen and installed BitDefenter software and I am strongly going to remove it.

What antivirus programmes do you use exactly?

Bitdefender's engine is licensed and used by of a lot of antivirus vendors. Most likely your antivirus product uses its engine and you will cripple the AV by removing the Bitdefender component. So please do not attempt to remove it until you are sure that your antivirus product does not use Bitdefender.

Edited by Curie, 16 April 2016 - 01:44 PM.

#6 miecz

miecz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

Thank you Curie,

I will ask them. If yuo are right BitDefender will be apologized.

Regards

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

Although several security vendors do use Bitdefender's anti-virus engine (on-demand file detection) including file-based signatures in their threat database and heuristics, they typically do not use any of Bitdefender's real time components.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users