Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What size screw is this and a screw extractor for this size?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ZeldaYoshi

ZeldaYoshi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:53 PM

I don't know if I should post this here but I am trying to put a solid state drive into my laptop but the hard drive bay screws are stripped and I am not familiar with screws and I can't tell what size it is. I need to know what size it is so I can find the right screw extractor for it. I have a picture of it here. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 3531.

Attached Files

Edited by ZeldaYoshi, 10 April 2016 - 02:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZeldaYoshi

ZeldaYoshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:01 PM

Actually what I should have asked is what is the safest way to remove a stripped screw from a laptop since I found out that there is no screw extractor for it.

Edited by ZeldaYoshi, 10 April 2016 - 03:02 PM.

#3 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:38 PM

Have you tried grabbing it with a needle nosed plies ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:57 PM

That looks seriously chewed up.  If it looks like a square,  a file and a junk screwdriver to make a custom bit to fit that screw.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:16 PM

Hi,

Strange to see a screw like that on a laptop!

Usually the only place I can find screw extractors for things like that is on the Chinese shops!

Just one example not sure it includes the bit you need.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 markba633csi

markba633csi

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:28 PM

Some suggestions: First try to find a small flat bladed screwdriver that just fits in between two opposite slots in the mangled screw head.  This screwdriver should have as large as possible handle because you need to push hard on it as you try to turn it.  A TINY bit of liquid wrench might help also but mop it out of the head with a paper towel so your screwdriver is less liable to slip.  Tapping on the screw head can sometimes help loosen it. 

If this fails, you could try gluing a small screwdriver bit into the screw head with epoxy or cyanoacrylate (crazy) glue. You would need to clean the screw head with alcohol first if you used any lubricant earlier.

Finally, you could drill off the screw head and remove the remaining screw stub with pliers when you get the plastic cover off.

Mark Silva

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:33 PM

I think it is a phillips  head screw...

35k4svn.jpg

Quite common.

a really cheap phillips head screwdriver will do the trick.....is there a 'reject shop' or similar cheap retailer near you.....or can you borrow one from a friend.....if you live in an apartment the building maintenance guy may have one....???

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#8 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:07 PM

By stripped do you mean the screw just spins in the hole, or the top is chewed up?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:26 PM

Looks like one of these screws.

http://www.amazon.com/m2-5x6-5-INSPIRON-LATITUDE-PRECISION-SCHRAUBEN/dp/B00BW3Q468

#10 markba633csi

markba633csi

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:18 PM

If you look closely at the photo the screw size is printed there: M3x3  (metric 3 millimeter thread by 3 millimeter long)

Mark S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users