Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox won't open

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:28 PM

I'm afraid something I was doing in "Windows Firefox" has caused an issue with "Linux FF", but that is just a guess of course.  I've been doing a lot in Windows 7 lately and wonder if there is something that happened when I tried to Sync or something.  I did some research but found nothing that helped me.  I did find this command (firefox-unlock) but not even sure if that is a linux command.  I will post some of the .xsession-error I see that might be helpful.  I also ran "firefox" in Terminal and got this:

chris@chris-HP-Compaq-nx7400-EN352UTR-ABA:~ > firefox

(firefox:23059): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(firefox:23059): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(firefox:23059): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(firefox:23059): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised
Could not create gnome accelerators directory `/home/chris/.gnome2/accels': Permission denied

Here are the .xsession-error logs:

(firefox:20571): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(firefox:20571): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(firefox:20571): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(firefox:20571): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised
Could not create gnome accelerators directory `/home/chris/.gnome2/accels': Permission denied

(firefox:20900): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(firefox:20900): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(firefox:20900): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(firefox:20900): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised
[21230:21230:0410/134419:ERROR:logging.h(813)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager.GetManagedObjects: object_path= /: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "GetManagedObjects" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager" doesn't exist

[21230:21230:0410/134420:ERROR:logging.h(813)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager.GetManagedObjects: object_path= /: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "GetManagedObjects" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager" doesn't exist

list is empty 
Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
  Resource id:  0x5600055
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
NetworkManagerQt "plasma-desktop" ( 18896 ) void NetworkManager::WirelessDevice::accessPointRemoved(const QDBusObjectPath&) : Access point list lookup failed for  "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AccessPoint/29" 
NetworkManagerQt "kded" ( 18697 ) void NetworkManager::WirelessDevice::accessPointRemoved(const QDBusObjectPath&) : Access point list lookup failed for  "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AccessPoint/29" 
dolphin(22933) KXMLGUI::ActionList::plug: Index  19  is not within range (0 -  11 
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
  Resource id:  0x560004a

Edited by pcpunk, 10 April 2016 - 02:45 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:10 PM

Are those firefox logs from Windows or linux??  Or were you trying to add a debian package to windows for some reason?

My bad those are gnome errors not necessarily a debian package.

Edited by dannyboy950, 10 April 2016 - 03:09 PM.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:47 PM

This part is a permission issue.

Try:
mkdir -p ~/.gnome2/accels

This will create the folders if they don't exist.

sudo chown -R chris:chris ~/.gnome2

This will make make the user "chris" the owner, and the group "chris" the owner.

Beyond that I don't know.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,095 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

Thanks, I'll try that.  I'm also considering trying the 64bit version, anyone tried this yet?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:21 AM

Try this from a terminal window:

firefox -safe-mode 

or 

firefox -console

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:17 AM

Thanks, I'll try that.  I'm also considering trying the 64bit version, anyone tried this yet?

Yes I'm running the 64 bit version of Firefox & Google Chrome on Windows, yet being this is a Linux Forum, is all I have to say about it, other than it's caused no issues with my Linux browsers. 

I'm afraid something I was doing in "Windows Firefox" has caused an issue 

If you feel that way, you should take this up in the appropriate Forum. We can't fix Windows issues on Linux, and the issue on Windows 7 may remain, even if fixed to run on Linux. This looks like the place to post. :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/14/web-browsingemail-and-other-internet-applications/

Good Luck!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,095 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:02 AM

Try this from a terminal window:

firefox -safe-mode 

or 

firefox -console

chris@chris-HP-Compaq-nx7400-EN352UTR-ABA:~ > firefox -safe-mode 

(firefox:6458): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(firefox:6458): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(firefox:6458): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(firefox:6458): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised

Same thing when running "firefox -console"

Moving on to hollowface instructions.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,095 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:09 AM

Yes I'm running the 64 bit version of Firefox & Google Chrome on Windows, yet being this is a Linux Forum, is all I have to say about it, other than it's caused no issues with my Linux browsers.  I was speaking of Linux.

I'm afraid something I was doing in "Windows Firefox" has caused an issue 

If you feel that way, you should take this up in the appropriate Forum. We can't fix Windows issues on Linux, and the issue on Windows 7 may remain, even if fixed to run on Linux. This looks like the place to post. :)  No problems,  my Quote: "when I tried to Sync or something." 

Cat

In Blue above:

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,095 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:24 AM

That worked hollowface! 

I think I see what I did that caused the problem, well maybe.  I used Revo to Uninstall YahooToolBar in Windows7.  When I just opened FF in Linux, my Toolbar Search Box was blank, with a little Plus Sign in it asking me to choose a Search Engine.  I was hesitant removing the YahooToolBar and for good reason I think.  I think I need to get by browsers Synced to Sync also.  Does that make sense?  What I mean is: I don't Sync Bookmarks but I do Sync Passwords and maybe a few other things.  What I need is to make sure that all my add-ons and Sync Choices are the same to reduce any chances of conflict.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:51 PM

I was hesitant removing the YahooToolBar

Glad to hear it was the Windows version. Might be showing my age, but i was an original dev 

on Yahoo Toolbar for Mozilla Firebird (pre Firefox)

yahoo1.jpg

rawsig.png

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:01 AM

I was speaking of Linux.

Glad that you got it sorted out, yet as you probably know, the bit version of the Linux browser installed is the same as that of the OS. That's why 32 bit browsers won't install on 64 bit Linux, and it's great to have that extra layer of security. Only the 64 bit browser can take advantage of the extra protection that only a 64 bit CPU provides in it's instruction set, plus it's a generally faster browser. 

As for the Yahoo Toolbar, well I've never had one on Linux (nor Windows) installs, as these generally aren't allowed & not compatible with Linux OS's, for good reason. Plus a really good AV/IS suite may flag it as a PUP on Windows & ask to quarantine it, you may or may not have experienced this. Emsisoft Anti-Malware (free for 30 days) is known for hunting down & removing PUP's, and many toolbars are considered to be as such. Here's a good read on the issue, as it applies to Windows. 

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2013/12/23/what-is-a-pup/

Hope your issues are solved, as far as the rest goes! :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 12 April 2016 - 03:02 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,095 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

I find this all a little confusing, of course right.  I don't think it should have been removed, or at least in the way I did so (Revo).  I think it is just the little search box to the Right of the address bar in FF, that is inbuilt.  I probably chose Yahoo at one time because google was not a choice or something, sorry don't remember.  I'll just go with it and try to log any issues that I might have.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:17 AM

True, Yahoo is the default search engine of Firefox, though you can change that in Preferences > Search & add those of your choice & remove others (as Startpage & Amazon), from the same page, where you'll see a choice below to 'add more search engines' & will be redirected to Mint's home page. From there, read on down to Commercial Engines & just click onto one that you want, and then in the Search box, you'll see a green dot to the left, or color that matches your distro/theme. Click onto it, the choice to add that search engine will appear, just choose 'add *** Search' to Firefox. 

https://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php

Then you can go back to Preferences > Search & choose any that you've added as default. Today, Yahoo is a very unpopular choice, and for good reason, many of those in the 'Am I Infected' line either has the Yahoo Toolbar, or their email & have clicked onto a malicious link. Same with AOL to a lesser degree, neither of these corporations are that of 15 years back, when both were booming. Now they're in a position to have to accept ads from anyone willing to pay, and doesn't screen clients like Google, Microsoft & others does. Not that they too don't have bad links, it's just more widely known that Yahoo has, and while for a brief period it looked to be turning around under Melissa Mayer, who let things go right back to the dogs, and just hopped on board to collect a nice golden parachute, like the former CEO (Carly Fiorina) of HP did. 

Whatever you do, hope it turns out for the best! :)

Cat

Edited by raw, 13 April 2016 - 11:31 AM.
removed off topic bits

#14 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:41 AM

As for the Yahoo Toolbar, well I've never had one on Linux (nor Windows) installs, as these generally aren't allowed & not compatible with Linux OS's

In case you overlooked my previous post i'll just put a link to it while you are toolbar bashing... :hysterical:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610783/firefox-wont-open/#entry3977752

rawsig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users