Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS K501 will not turn ON

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wingtips515

wingtips515

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:17 PM

I have been searching most of the day for an answer so I'll detail all I know.  This laptop came to me Friday because the owners daughter lost her Win 7 password.  The HDD had a password that the owner failed to tell me.  After spending some time investigating why I could not change the boot order, I called him and he remembered the HDD password.  I the attacked the Win 7 password by following the trick to change the  sticky key to a command prompt.  I changed the password to blank and got onto Windows.  I noticed the Battery icon was very low but the icon indicated 10 hours of use.  The owner mentioned he replaced the battery and charger recently.  All seemed OK when I returned it on Friday.  Today I was told he tried to log on and after entering the HDD PW the laptop shut down and would not restart.

Here is what I have done:

Removed battery  and charger and held the Power button for 30 seconds. Restarted .No fix.

Removed RAM, no fix

Replaced CMOS battery, no fix

Removed battery with charger installed, no fix

When the charger is plugged in the "Charging" LED does not light

The Power Button LED does not light.

The charger never gets warm.

The voltage at the connector on the MB reads19.1V and there are two terminals on the battery where it reads 9.4V.  The battery is stamped 10.8 V

Is this beyond repair.  I am about to suggest to the owner to purchase a used ASUS and use his HDD.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

wingtips515

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:07 PM

If you have not done so then what I would recommend is pulling the power adapter and main battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds, replace the power connector but leave the main battery out and see if the computer boots. If you did this and the computer still did not boot then I think you are dealing with a motherboard problem.

#3 wingtips515

wingtips515
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:03 AM

Well after sleeping on it, this morning I charged the battery on my RC Airplane battery charger.  Installed the battery into the laptop and up it came with an indication of very low capacity.  Shut it down to continue charging to do other things to this PC.  Probably the internal battery voltage monitor would not allow use with the voltage near the battery damage level.  The root cause is the internal MB charger circuitry is probably fried so it will not charge or allow the PC to run on the external charger alone.  Now the owner needs to make a decision as to what he wants to do.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:14 AM

Thank You for the update. Was the charger and battery OEM or were they replaced?

#5 wings515

wings515

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:06 AM

The owner purchased two (?) chargers and a battery.  Don't know why 2 but maybe because the internals were fried he thought the charger was no good. The original battery was a LiPo 11.1 volt.  The replacement was a 10.8 volt LiPo.  Don't know why they even make that since LiPo's are 3.7 V per cell basic charge.  In any case I have provided him with some options.  As a test I put his HDD in my Acer laptop and when I tried to boot it asked for the HDD password.  I put in the one that worked on the ASUS and it failed.  Thinking it might be a Caps/NoCaps problem I entered it with caps.  Still no luck, went back to no caps and after entering the third time I got an error 08555.  I think it means to many tries.  I am hoping when I put this back into the original machine with a charged battery, I will be able to log on to the HDD.  I might have to go into the BIOS and change the HDD log on there.  Don't know until the battery is fully charged on my RC charged. 

Well I charged it for about 1 1/2 hours and got 45 minutes of run time.  Was able to get past the HDD log On with no problems. I copied all the files I thought they would need to a stick as backup.  Rebooted into the BIOS and cleared the HDD password so this HDD could be put into another machine.  Called the owner and let them know the status.  There is another ASUS on ebay for $75 so I made that suggestion.  Waiting for their decision.  What do you think I should charge for all of this?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

It was very fortunate you were able to clear the HDD in BIOS because a drive with a HDD password cannot even be formatted or wiped on another computer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users